Revolution

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I enjoyed the finale, it was put together well. I was a bit disappointed that no resolution came to the Miles vs. Monroe storyline though, but I guess if it had there wouldn’t have been much to continue the series on. The pseudo-reconciliation of the adversaries was so similar to what happened on Terra Nova that I got incredibly nervous as they were talking, just repeating ‘Don’t be a trick, don’t be a trick’ over and over because I would have been very irritated if I had to go through that again. I think it wrapped up the best it could have, considering the circumstances. I’m sure there will be a more final conclusion down the line.

About the ultimate ending, it was a logical cliffhanger in context, but I don’t think it’s as desperate a situation as they want to make you think. They’re slated for at least 12 more episodes, so it’s doubtful all the main characters will die here in one instant. I’m not sure how they’re going to get out of it though.

As we reach the culmination of the season or half-season or whatever it was, I look back and am disappointed to find that my opinion of the show hasn’t changed. I kept watching because I was just curious enough to follow the story along, but it failed to actually interest me enough to pull me in beyond each consecutive episode. Same for the finale. I’ll watch the next one when it comes, but not because I’m fascinated to see another season unfold, just because I want to watch the next singular episode to see what happens after this one.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Um, wow. I did not expect that...

Although there was a major cop-out by splitting them up so we don't get an explanation. >_>
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I knew someone was going to die because they said it in the commercial, just like last time. I don’t get why they do that, it takes any possible shock or suspense out of it.
Anyway, I was thinking it would be Danny for two reasons. First, because he was the logical choice since all the others are central figures right now, and second just because of my personal hatred of the character.

I was thinking, it’s nice that Monroe has power now for the choppers and everything, but what happens when he runs out of gas? Seems like just a temporary victory.

And I’m starting to hate the mom as much as the boy. Before it was just incredulousness at her stupidity, but now it’s turning to actual dislike. What does she think gives her the right to act so self-righteous about everything? She’s the reason Monroe just became invincible.

Now the Randal guy is going to Monroe, probably to give him back the power he just lost when the helicopter crashed. You can’t trust anyone apparently. That other guy sold out to Randal, but we don’t know why. Something about a tower, which seems to have something on Level 12 but isn’t reachable yet which is why he grabbed that lady a while back.

I’m still not hooked in for longer than one episode, but I will be watching the next one to see what happens.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Just watched episode nine...wut. Too many obvious plot holes. How could they be running out of air in that huge tunnel? Even so, I don't think they would start hallucinating 5 minutes in, especially not full-blown hallucinations like Miles had.

Also, why didn't that guy, Dr. whatever, just say it was a amplifier once he saw it was a bomb? It doesn't take a genius to know what she was planning and that it was going to be bad for Monroe. Gosh...stupid people.
Last edited by ric on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So I’m still confused how these pendants work. Randal is able to activate them remotely, so the mom wants to destroy them so they can’t be tracked. I get that. But is that the only way they can be turned on? I assume so because if they were able to use them to give themselves power then surely it would be worth the risk to keep them.

And this episode made me realize that we still don’t know the story behind the blackout yet. We were kind of getting there, and then it was just dropped. This episode finally started filling it in again, but we still don’t really know too much. It looks like it was a military operation gone wrong. Probably designed to knock out power of a certain target area, but because it was rushed by Randal out of a sense of revenge for his son’s death it wasn’t properly tested and instead took out everything.

I’m so glad the mom didn’t get recaptured, that would have been just too much.

It irritated me that Charlie told her mom she owed her an apology. She didn’t owe her a darn thing, she was right on everything she had said and I was glad she said it when she did.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

So, I finally went back and got caught up on this show. The overall "lost power" story is about the only thing that is keeping me watching. The rest of it I don't really care about as much. We finally know why the power still doesn't work, but not how the pendants negate them or how Grace was able to communicate with others far away when the pendants only restore electricity to a small area. One of the biggest problems I still have is that Monroe looks so obviously much younger than Miles that I have a hard time believing that they grew up together.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh my gosh I hate the mom so much! She is such a moron!
‘Charlie is all I have left.’ Yeah, and whose fault is that? Yours.
‘Neville killed Ben.’ No, actually your stupid son did.
‘And he killed Danny.’ Nope, he chose to put himself at risk like that.
‘You sound like Miles.’ Good! He’s the only one in this family that has his head on straight!
Seriously, just stop whining and wise up!
And even if Neville was the cause of everything, is she really going to be so blinded by revenge that she’ll kill him over question him? It’s funny, when she was a prisoner of Monroe she was able to try to subvert the Republic (she was a dismal failure at it because she’s an idiot, but at least she was trying) but now that she’s free she’s apparently lost sight of that aim and now doesn’t want to do anything but interfere with Rebel affairs.

Wow, Jason totally had me fooled! I guess he really is on their side now.

Neville escapes; no surprise there, I just didn’t expect it to happen so soon.
The problem is, now it makes the mom look like she was right. >_> She was not right; they should have just put more guards on him.
Now that he realizes he’s doomed in the Republic I think he should take his wife, turn himself in, and become an informer for the Rebels. Seems like his best option.

And there were no flashbacks in this episode; wow.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ya, the mom totally annoys me. Jason didn't surprise me so much - he's basically the only love interest for Charlie so you knew they had to bring him back in as a good guy sooner or later. :p

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I don't get the part about the little machines floating in the air, or whatever. Maybe they'll explain it later.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

ric wrote:Jason didn't surprise me so much - he's basically the only love interest for Charlie so you knew they had to bring him back in as a good guy sooner or later.
Agreed. I knew it was coming eventually, but I was still surprised this was it because it would have been a reasonable slip for him. He wasn’t letting Neville go because his turn to the Rebels wasn’t sincere, it was because of concern for his mother.
ric wrote:Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I don't get the part about the little machines floating in the air, or whatever. Maybe they'll explain it later.
I was paying attention, and I didn’t get it. ;)
This was definitely just a quick introduction to a real explanation yet to come.
My speculation from what I think I understand so far is that this operation to take out the power of that war zone wasn’t actually technological, as one would assume, it was some kid of new technology that was at least partially biological. These things get released into the air of the area, and then either let power alone, or absorb it all, depending on the controller’s commands. But it went wrong, and when released they spread to the whole world instead of staying in the area, so when they said to zap the power it took down everything.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

bookworm wrote:
ric wrote:Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I don't get the part about the little machines floating in the air, or whatever. Maybe they'll explain it later.
I was paying attention, and I didn’t get it. ;)
This was definitely just a quick introduction to a real explanation yet to come.
My speculation from what I think I understand so far is that this operation to take out the power of that war zone wasn’t actually technological, as one would assume, it was some kid of new technology that was at least partially biological. These things get released into the air of the area, and then either let power alone, or absorb it all, depending on the controller’s commands. But it went wrong, and when released they spread to the whole world instead of staying in the area, so when they said to zap the power it took down everything.
Sounds like nanites.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Ah, here’s the steam power we’ve been asking about. Apparently not all territories remained as primitive as the Monroe Republic. Which actually makes sense, since it’s a dictatorship. It was interesting getting a glimpse into what it’s like in a different place.

Something the mom said this episode made me realize what seems to be a theme in this show. ‘We need her.’ We have heard that so many times, haven’t we? ‘We need X’ must be the required first step for any real story exposition to happen. Before Miles could help Charlie he needed to find Nora. Before Miles could help the Rebels he needed to find his former friend. Before the mom can do whatever it is she thinks she’s doing she needed to find this lady. It seems to me that’s just a cheap way to draw things out longer. ‘Don’t make anything really happen yet, say we need to get help from someone first to set it up.’

I’m more confused then ever now about what the deal with the power is. They know the nanites are everywhere, so the spread wasn’t accidental after all. So was the power outage intentional? Because it seems to be an either or situation. They can have power off meaning nanites on, or power on meaning nanites off, but not both.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

*posts for bookworm*
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought Aaron would probably be reunited with his wife sometime. Too bad how it turned out, but I didn’t think it had much chance of a happy ending.

Ah, the return of the idiotic villagers. A guy is told by a dozen armed soldiers to go in the building so he thinks ‘Nah, I can take 'em on’ and of course gets beaten. Then Emma looks at Monroe like ‘Oh my gosh you’re a bad guy!’ Well, yeah he is, but this particular incident was all on the stupid citizen. He should have done what he was told.

Wow, now that is a plot twist. I wonder if anything is going to come of it, or if it was just put in to give Monroe that brief moment of humanity when he found out and then agony when he wasn’t able to learn more.

I can’t believe Monroe got away again! They shot him this time, they actually got him! But I think this is the last time, because with Emma dead Miles should be all in now. He’s been stymied by emotions twice, but it won’t happen again. This time it’s different.
Woody

Post by Woody »

*posts for bookworm*
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m glad Neville switched over. I just hope it’s for real and works out. I know it’s got to be awkward for everyone, especially Charlie and his son, but they should get over it and realize they’re on the same side now and need to move on.
( ­↑ Written at the beginning of the episode.)
( ↓ Written after the episode.)
Nope. >_> It’s amazing how someone can be a good guy now and still be the villain. If they could just work together it would be so great.

-- 05 Jul 2013 04:38 pm --

Finally picked back up on the mom turning herself in to Miles. I had forgotten all about that part of the backstory. It doesn’t make any sense tough. Why did she go and fake giving herself in while the others ran, why didn’t they all just run?

Other than that, we didn’t get very much done this episode. Besides witnessing some more of Monroe’s personal struggles.

It’s amazing, all this way in I’m still not being drawn along by the big picture, only for one episode at a time.
They’re going all out on trying to grab us.
‘Oh my gosh! Aaron has something to do with the tower!? What??’
‘Oh my gosh! There’s some kind of creature in the elevator! What’s going to happen?!’
‘Oh my gosh! Nora’s captured by Monroe! How will they get out of this??’
That’s what they want you to think. But instead of ‘Oh my gosh’ all I think is ‘Okay, this is the next thing that happens.’
Woody

Post by Woody »

*posts for bookworm*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Woah, never saw that one coming. What a twist. At first. But it lost some impact when we got the reason for it. Of course he was forced into it because his wife is being held hostage. Come one, we’ve been there and done that, multiple times. Could he have not been a traitor just to be one?

And now their one person who knows anything about the Tower is dead, so what are they supposed to do when they get there?

I’m glad Jason wasn’t a jerk about Charlie’s uncertainty and like ‘I can’t believe you weren’t sure about me.’ It was really good to see him acknowledge that he doesn’t deserve automatic trust yet. That’s a refreshing contrast to the mom who was always all ‘I don’t understand why I can’t do whatever I want; don’t tell me you’re still worried about the countless times I messed everything up by being an idiot.’
Woody

Post by Woody »

*posts for bookworm*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

And we start out this episode with the big suspenseful revelation that, wait for it, the mom fails to kill Monroe with the grenade! Oh my gosh, what a shocker! I can’t believe it! I know she utterly failed in every single other thing she’s ever tried to do because she’s an unbelievable idiot that’s beyond completely incompetent, but I was sure she would pull this one off!
(The above was written in the most extreme sarcasm, if you were somehow uncertain of that.)
Why in the world didn’t she just shoot him?! The soldier she strangled to get that uniform had a machine gun!

It was nice to see a partial redemption of Monroe. I guess finding out he has a child really did stir some humanity in him. Too bad it wasn’t a full one, because it looks like we finally have a revolution ( ;) ) on our hands. It’ll be interesting to see how this all goes down with one episode left.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

bookworm wrote:And we start out this episode with the big suspenseful revelation that, wait for it, the mom fails to kill Monroe with the grenade! Oh my gosh, what a shocker! I can’t believe it! I know she utterly failed in every single other thing she’s ever tried to do because she’s an unbelievable idiot that’s beyond completely incompetent, but I was sure she would pull this one off!
(The above was written in the most extreme sarcasm, if you were somehow uncertain of that.)
I think this one was the worst cliff-hanger ending/resolution of the show. Everyone knew it wouldn't work.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the finale. I thought there were some interesting twists at the end.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!