Revolution

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Watched episode 3. The plot and acting were okay. It's really just not catching me that much. I've yet to be wowed.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The third episode still hasn’t hooked me either. They’re taking me in just enough for me to want to follow along, but I’m really hoping to get something more before too long. This one had quite a few things I didn’t understand.
Right after the militia guy gives a seemingly important speech about how rare bullets are, they storm the rebel base and incessantly fire blindly through the wall. Seems like a contradictory waste to me. Two rounds was plenty, why did they keep going if they’re concerned about ammunition?
I didn’t get Nora’s story at all. She said she wasn’t fighting for the United States, but then said the reason she’s fighting is so her baby will be born in the United States. How is that going to come about if that’s not what she’s fighting for?
We finally found out what Miles’ connection to everything is. I anticipated from the flashbacks that he and Monroe has a history, perhaps even a close history, but I didn’t expect it to be this close. Intriguing.
Just when I think Danny can’t do anything more stupid, he does. Sure he wanted to get revenge on that soldier, but was that urge really so powerful he thought he could get away with attacking and threatening him? He was caught in the act by the leader first of all, but even if he hadn’t been it was still the most idiotic thing he could have done, because where would it have gone from there? He said he’d kill the guy if he kept hurting him, but how exactly did he plan to do that? His little fake asthma trick certainly wouldn’t work again.
For once I appreciated the flashbacks. This episode’s focused on filling in Miles’ backstory, and they did it very well. Now that we know he was the founder of the militia, we can see how and why it happened. It really did come out of a wanting to maintain justice. And then the extra bit that the guy he saved was that other militia guy, that was great.
I’m now more confused than ever about those necklaces. Are they not controlled by the owners? This one doesn’t seem to be. But if there’s some third party controlling when they can be used, how can the users know when to coordinate their communication?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:I didn’t get Nora’s story at all. She said she wasn’t fighting for the United States, but then said the reason she’s fighting is so her baby will be born in the United States. How is that going to come about if that’s not what she’s fighting for?
If you go back and watch it again, it's because of her baby that died in the militia fight.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I've only seen #1. It was interesting, but it didn't grab me. I did quite enjoy the plot twist at the end of the episode, however...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:
bookworm wrote:I didn’t get Nora’s story at all. She said she wasn’t fighting for the United States, but then said the reason she’s fighting is so her baby will be born in the United States. How is that going to come about if that’s not what she’s fighting for?
If you go back and watch it again, it's because of her baby that died in the militia fight.
No, I got that. She lost her first baby, so she wants the US to come back so if she has another one it will be an American. But for that to happen, it means she must be fighting to bring the US back, and I recall her distinctly saying that isn’t the reason she’s fighting with the rebels, unless I misunderstood her.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Hmm, I wanted to see this show but was out of town when it aired. Unfortunately, it sounds like it isn't living up to expectations. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

You can watch it online if you want to catch up.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Watched Plague Dogs. From the description I expected someone to die. Maggie was definitely the most logical. Everyone else was necessary. And J.J. Abrams and Co. aren't afraid to kill off characters.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Just a few thoughts from the fourth episode.
Why did they agitate those dogs? They could have just kept walking, they weren’t going to bother them.
They did a superb job casting young Charlie, she’s perfect. (This was the first episode I got a good prolonged view of her look and mannerisms.)
I’ll repeat myself about Danny; just when I think he can’t act more stupid he does. I’m watching the scene going ‘He’s not going to try to escape again is he? Not in the middle of a huge storm.’ *He starts picking his lock.* ‘Yeah, he is.’ *sigh*
From the commercial for this episode I knew someone was going to die. I personally thought it was a bit early, but anyway I was watching for it, trying to anticipate it, and even though I knew it was coming it still caught me off guard. When and how it happened I mean. Instead of being dramatic, it just made me go ‘Huh?’
Strange flashback at the end about how the mom ended up captured. The family thought she was going for supplies, but apparently she was turning herself in to the militia for some reason. And I guess Miles had something to do with it.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This episode was a pleasant surprise, because for once, I didn't expect something. I didn't see Nate/Jason coming at all, but it makes sense. Otherwise the episode was okay, but felt like filler.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Why did it take them 15 years to realize steam power still works? Unless they’ve been having trains periodically going between major cities the whole time, I couldn’t tell. They just made this one seem like such a new thing.
Seriously, is this whole family totally stupid? Miles said to come to him before doing anything, so for some reason Charlie thinks that means follow the militia captain all on her own. They should all just die.
I liked the flashbacks about Captain Neville. He really did use to be a good guy after all. And I also did not expect that ‘Nate’ was his son.
Miles is by far the best character on this show. He has a deep and complex backstory that makes you understand and feel for him and is the only one that can see things for what they are. He’s blunt and harsh, but he’s always right.
How long are they going to drag this out? They finally got Danny, but they still couldn’t get him. And now the mom finally cracked so the bad guys are getting a decidedly upper hand here. Unless some new twist gets thrown in it seems they’re writing themselves into a corner.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This last episode finally got the plot going. Since this whole thing was about the electricity right? Nope it's rescuing the kid who got his dad killed... And really hasn't learned anything. I'm hoping this gets going.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I haven’t seen this week’s episode yet, these are my thoughts from after the last one:

I’m still not getting pulled into this show beyond following each current episode, which is unfortunate because as it goes on I want to be able to say I like it, I think it has great potential, but as it stands it’s just not completely working for me.
This episode was decent, I don’t have too much to say. It was interesting to see the take on medicine without power. I knew Charlie wasn’t going to kill that guy, but I didn’t know how she was going to get out of it, so that was suspenseful. And on the other side, trying to figure out how the situation with the drug lord would be resolved was captivating, and the way it finally did go caught me off guard. When Aaron appeared to sacrifice himself it was a shock and I didn’t like it, but I was ready to accept it because it was in character for him, and then when it was revealed he faked it I was glad, but it was another shock because it was out of character for him to be so resourceful. It was just a strange sequence of events.
Speaking of Aaron, there was really good backstory for him provided this episode, it really filled out his character well. It ended with a bit of a bummer though, leaving his wife. I know he did it thinking it was best for her, but it seems too drastic. I wonder if he’ll meet up with her again toward the end of the show.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I've seen 2 episodes so far. I like the Lost feel to it and, to be fair, Lost didn't really pick up much in the first season either. It took until at least Season 2 until the characters really seemed interesting and relatable. No clue if this will happen with Revolution, but it would be great if it did.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yet more stupidity displayed by the post-blackout civilization. So the parents of all those kids hid them in the basement and then tried to fight off the militia? And not surprisingly they utterly failed. There is too much that doesn’t make sense here. First off, if they could hide the kids why didn’t they hide themselves too and just wait the militia out? Or if they felt they absolutely had to fight for some reason they should have left at least one adult with the kids, seriously. They probably thought they were being gallant, but what they were really being is bad parents. They needed to think about their kids first in the post-blackout world, not charging into hopeless confrontations like there are no consequences.

I didn’t get why Miles sided with Charlie in going after the random kid, it seemed totally out of character. When it was explained (that he felt guilty because that happened while he led the militia) I had already figured that must be it, but it was still strange to me.

Aaron’s quip about Ewoks was great, because that was actually exactly the thought I had in the first scene with the kids, when that one was threatening with that spear.

And now we know where Danny got all his stupidity. Obviously inherited from his mother.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

So... that was interesting. I was hoping we would have Nora come back with an army of Texans, but no. And handy spoiler map.
Open in new tab to enlarge. But aren't we missing five?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m still a week behind, this is for the eighth episode.

Interesting move, throwing in a brand new character so late. But it filled in Nora’s story nicely. And speaking of Nora I was really surprised when she left. I knew Charlie was going to tell her it was okay, but I really didn’t think she would do it. Then when it was revealed her sister arranged a double cross it was like an anti-anticlimax because I had actually suspected that way back at the beginning, but then decided against it as the episode went on, and it ended up happening after all. It made Nora go back though, so I guess I was actually right about that too in the end.

I thought they were going to kill Strausser at the final confrontation, or at least grab another of the automatic rifles, that would have come in handy, but they didn’t manage either. I guess that would make things too easy.

And now Monroe has one of the pendants, so that’s not good.

Monroe reminds me a lot of Lucas, the bad guy in Terra Nova. They were both very unassuming and soft spoken characters that, even though they were each their respective show’s main adversary, didn’t really seem like villains, they were just antagonists. That may make them more compelling to some, but not me. I’m used to my bad guys being noticeably bad, this more mellow demeanor makes their scenes somewhat uncomfortable to me personally.

Neville’s wife’s treasonous suggestions at the end just made me go ‘Come on now’ because although it was a very human and reasonable angle, I didn’t think they needed to throw it into the mix. That is, under any dictatorship it’s a given that you’ll have the occasional person thinking they would be better to rule, but we can understand that’s going on in the background, we don’t need to see it on screen to know it’s there. That just confuses things. Unless something will come of that in future episodes, we’ll see.

And wait a minute, Randall isn’t working for Monroe? That’s interesting. What’s his angle then? He’s clearly no longer one of the good guys, but why not?

Monroe’s posture and line while holding up the pendant instantly reminded me of Boromir’s while holding up The Ring. I wonder if that was intentional. I think it must have been.

ImageImageImage
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The finale was... interesting. But there really wasn't enough closure with a wait till spring for the next episodes.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Very different feel to the ninth episode. A lot of it took place in the tunnel, limiting the development to what eventually seemed to just drag on aimlessly, and it had a running thing of mental distractions being thrown in that I didn’t like. I’ve seen a couple other things that had that kind of theme, and they’re just unsettling and confusing to me.

If that tunnel was the only way into the city undetected, why didn’t Monroe just close it up? Seems like a better idea than booby trapping and guarding it.

That was a pretty poorly disguised way of explaining the pendant amplifier. Making a point to show that the characters already know what’s going on, but were having her go over it again anyway. It made it painfully obvious it was done solely to catch the viewer up to speed. I think they should have just let us see the first explanation to begin with.

I saw the alligator attack coming from a mile away. Except that it wasn’t real. That was strange.

They lost me when Miles went to dream land and chatted with fake Monroe. I guess they did it to provide an outlet for some more of Miles’ backstory, having him talk to himself about things, but it was just weird.

As soon as I realized the hallucinations were going to be a running thing I knew Aaron would be seeing his wife, I was just waiting for it.

Completely unexpected twist with the rebel guy turning out to be militia, so much so that I was a bit annoyed by it. I didn’t think it was really necessary, it seemed to just be thrown in to catch us off guard, like a twist just for the sake of being a twist.

And then they stop suffocating, but Charlie has another hallucination anyway? I know it was because of shock from the gunshot, but still I thought we were past that part of the episode. The whole scene with her dad seemed out of place and just dumb, really. I got it, but I didn’t appreciate it.

Why in the world did that guy call out the mom on the bomb? I didn’t get that at all. He scorned her for cooperating with Monroe and then goes and does it himself, and at a higher level than she ever did? It was just bizarre. And look where it got all of them. Nowhere.

I guess there’s just one episode left. I have no idea at all where it’s headed but I will definitely be intrigued to find out.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

One word. Filler.