Lincoln

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Lincoln

Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

I haven't heard much about this film, but it looks like it might be interesting:

Flag #5:

Climbing up, up, up, now and forevermore.

But to what?
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I had heard that Liam Neeson was to play Lincoln. I'm hoping to see it when/if it comes to a theater near me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah it was going to be Liam for the longest time and for whatever reason he backed out or something. Still looks pretty good. Oddly they showed no vampires in the trailer. :(
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah it was going to be Liam for the longest time and for whatever reason he backed out or something. Still looks pretty good. Oddly they showed no vampires in the trailer. :(

I'm disappointed that Liam Neeson won't be playing Lincoln, but I would still like to see it. If it's not in a theater near me, I'll buy the DVD.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah it was going to be Liam for the longest time and for whatever reason he backed out or something.
He said he was too old.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Plus, Daniel Day Lewis is probably one of the greatest actors of all time. I'm pumped for this. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lincoln dies.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

bookworm wrote:
Lincoln dies.
:shock: ( ;) )

I am very excited about this film! I can't wait to see it!
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

When I first heard about this movie I wasn’t really interested, but then I saw a commercial for it and it looked better than I had thought so I decided I might as well check it out and I finally got around to seeing it on Friday.

It was very good, I really liked it. I don’t know how historically accurate it all was, but it was quite enjoyable regardless. It wasn’t an action movie, it was a thinking movie. You had to follow the different characters’ trains of thought to understand their motivations in what they were doing and how and when they were doing it.

I had only two negative responses, and neither were severe.
First, there was quite a bit of language. It didn’t really bother me, per se, but at times it was slightly off-putting.
And second, I’m not sure about the ending. I personally think it would have been more effective to end the movie right after the scene where he walks out of the White House into the night. It was at an emotionally satisfying place in the story, and to me seemed to be the perfect place to cut.

Overall, a very solid and enjoyable movie. I’m glad I eventually garnered enough interest to see it; it didn’t disappoint.

Oh, and I saw in the credits that John Williams did the music, so enough said about that.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, we just watched a few days ago (might have been Friday, actually... I think it was) and I was rather impressed. The music sounded Williamsish throughout and since it was a Spielberg film I kind of figured it was him, but it was confirmed them in the end credits. \:D/ But yeah great movie. I was a little disappointed we didn't see the assassination, though. >_>
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

The Top Crusader wrote:I was a little disappointed we didn't see the assassination, though. >_>
I liked the way they handled the assassination. It was emotionally powerful and not at all graphic, which I felt was much more effective.
*insert provocative quote here*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:I was a little disappointed we didn't see the assassination, though. >_>
I sort of was too, but in hindsight I think this was a good way to do it. It was like when the vote passed, but we didn’t see it and were taken to the White House. At the time I disliked that very much, but thinking back I now see it as a powerful move, it just took a bit to realize it.
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

I saw this movie 2 times and it was plain awesome. One of my many favourite movies.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Rented this for the second viewing last night.

Truly a great movie, the voting sequence especially was just perfect. The only thing that could have been better is that I still think it should have ended right after he walked out of the White House into the night. That scene is just begging to be the close of the film, it feels so right as a conclusion. I really think ending it there would have made for a stronger ending. The one they went with doesn’t feel like it holds up after the rest of the movie. Everyone knows he’s assassinated, we don’t need to see it. Especially since we don’t see it. What was the point of going that far in the story if you’re then going to dodge the scene? But still, an all around solid and stirring movie.

How did this not win Best Picture? It was way better than Argo.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Man, I loved this movie so much. It totally renewed my faith in Spielberg as a filmmaker on the cutting edge of storytelling. The amount of restraint in this film is almost too good to be true. If any scene is guilty of dipping into needless melodrama, it might be the ending (as bookworm pointed out). Still, for a film that's practically perfect on every level, the extended ending is easily forgiven.. especially since the distress of Lincoln's youngest son in the theater is one of the most gripping moments. And part of me would even argue that because everyone knows he's assassinated, it works in the film's favor to take note of the event if only to use it as opportunity to give one, final tribute to his legacy rather than letting us become distracted by the drama surrounding the assassination. Nobody is asking questions, because questions and mystery are for a different story. This was a story of the final months in a man's life, comparable to Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ for the sheer amount of legacy surrounding a man with unfathomable passion and conviction.

Nothing even needs to be said about Day Lewis' performance.. it's perfect. If anything, I would say Sally Field deserves a lot more recognition for her role. The scene between Lincoln and his wife in the bedroom is arguably the most pivotal moment of the film. For a man so deified, so propped up as an unreachable icon of history, every moment of vulnerability comes across surprisingly sincere. Props to the screenwriter - an absolutely masterful drama.

Bookworm, not only did it not win Best Picture, it almost didn't receive financial support from any of the major studios. That might give you an idea of how corrupt and systematic the Hollywood industry has become. ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Wooton Z. Bassett wrote:I saw this movie 2 times and it was plain awesome. One of my many favourite movies.
Same here.