Oz the Great and Powerful

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Oz the Great and Powerful

Post by bookworm »

Anyone planning to see this?

I’ve always been a fan of The Wizard of Oz, it’s a classic. I think it’s pretty epic to do the backstory of the Wizard.
I loved the line “I don’t want to be a good man. I want to be a great one.” (Foreshadowing of “I'm a very good man. I'm just a very bad Wizard.”)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I am definitely going to see this movie when it comes out \:D/ I've always loved the Wizard of Oz. Especially the book. In my family, the "old" movie is considered a classic. We know practically every line :p
*insert provocative quote here*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t think this movie’s story is based on any of the Oz books, but I heard some of the information on the Wizard’s past was pieced together from them.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I've never gotten the attraction to the Wizard of Oz, but this movie looks pretty awesome. It is on my list of "SEE!". :D
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Musical Shutterbug wrote: In my family, the "old" movie is considered a classic. We know practically every line :p
I've never actually seen that, my aunt told that when she was growing up that was the only movie she was allowed to watch, and like twice a year at that. But she told us how scared she would be after watching it, and apparently it scared my mom badly too, so I've never seen it. :P
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
Musical Shutterbug wrote: In my family, the "old" movie is considered a classic. We know practically every line :p
I've never actually seen that, my aunt told that when she was growing up that was the only movie she was allowed to watch, and like twice a year at that. But she told us how scared she would be after watching it, and apparently it scared my mom badly too, so I've never seen it. :P
So... you're scared of being scared? But that means you're scared. So, what would it change if you watched the movie and were scared? Then again, you might watch it and not be scared, and then you will no longer be scared of being scared. You've got nothing to lose! :p
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Shakespeare wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
So... you're scared of being scared? But that means you're scared. So, what would it change if you watched the movie and were scared? Then again, you might watch it and not be scared, and then you will no longer be scared of being scared. You've got nothing to lose! :p
No, I'm not scared to watch it, its just that my mom is convinced that my younger siblings shouldn't watch it, so we've never gotten the move. That's all :P
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Well, it's a FANTASTIC film. \:D/

The preview for it showed before Les Mis or The Hobbit... I was bouncing up and down in excitement.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
fodo14
Gold Member

Post by fodo14 »

This movie looks like it might fail. It just looks like another John Carter/ Tron Legacy adventure Disney flim. Yet I still am going to see this even if it ends up being an terrible movie. The only reason for hope I have in this movie would be that James Franco is starring in it. Oh and the little glass girl, shes so cute :D .
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So last night I gave this movie some real thought for the first time (before I was just like ‘Wizard of Oz prequel, oh yeah!’), and now I’m really curious what this story is going to be about.
It seems he finds his way to Oz accidentally through a tornado, just like Dorothy, and then gets taken for a long awaited savior by the locals, much like in Narnia. I assume the movie will follow his adventures as he goes about on that quest to fulfill what they expect from him.
But how do you think it’s going to end?
I mean, it would seem like if he comes through for them he would be a hero and everyone would be happy. But it can’t end like that, because we know from the original film that he eventually becomes a big bully. I wonder what would cause that. Maybe he isn’t going to complete his quest after all. They do mention that part of it is to defeat the Wicked Witch, which we know he doesn’t do.
fodo14
Gold Member

Post by fodo14 »

Yes I'm hoping for more of an connection ending. Or an depressing ending, something one the lines of such.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I just had an amazing thought!
(I know nothing about this movie, haven’t checked up on the plot or anything, so this is completely just speculation based on a random idea I had, but I will put it in a spoiler anyway in case I turn out to be right and people don’t want to read this kind of pre-movie musing.)
Like I said, in the trailer they say that his quest is to defeat the Wicked Witch. And from the original film we know he either doesn’t do it, or isn’t able. We also know that whatever happens, in the end he turns into really nothing more than a bully who takes over the Emerald City and keeps everyone in line thorough fear. That certainly doesn’t sound like a scenario that would come out of fulfilling their hopes for a promised savior who comes and does great deeds for them. So what went wrong?

Imagine this. He goes through all the adventures and everything, doing his best to live up to what the people expect, perhaps driven by some desire to be appreciated that he didn’t get as a performer in Kansas. Things go pretty well, until the big finish. He is unable to defeat the Witch. Maybe he tries and fails, or maybe he just gets scared and doesn’t even attempt it, but either way he knows the people of Oz will lose faith in him and possibly even cast him out. So rather than return to them a failure, he uses his tricks to convince them that he really is a Wizard, and forces them to appreciate him. He decides that compulsory admiration is better than none.

Now, remember the resolution of the original movie. He doesn’t directly give the characters what they asked for, but he gives them a means to find it. All except one. The scarecrow wants a brain, so he sends him to an opportunity to realize his smarts. The tin man wants a heart, so he sends him to an opportunity to discover love. The lion wants courage, so he sends him to an opportunity to be brave. But Dorothy wants to go home, so he sends her to get him the broomstick of the Wicked Witch. What does that have to do with anything? It always seemed out of place.

What if he did that because he wanted her to complete the quest he was originally tasked with! Maybe he thought he could make amends for his failure all those years ago. Or maybe he was going to take it from her and claim he came through for the people after all. Or maybe he just wanted some personal closure. And during his wait for Dorothy to return he thinks about what he’s done and what he’s doing, and has a change of heart. He realizes it’s not right to hold Oz under him like he had. That would explain his readiness to finally come out from behind the curtain, reintroduce himself to the people, as his real self, and then leave it all to return to Kansas again. He completed his quest after all; it was to appreciate the importance of honest relationships.
I may be totally off base with any or all of that, but I still impressed myself by piecing it all together.
Samantha14
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.

Post by Samantha14 »

I'm looking forward to this movie immensely. I am a HUGE Wizard of Oz fan, and I LOVE movies and books that show backstories.
So, this, I'm at least hoping, will be quite enjoyable.

I just hope they are...*ahem* careful with it. If they ruin a movie like this I'll be boycotting them forever. :x
merp.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

This trailer hit me by surprise. I really want to see this movie.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Samantha14 wrote:If they ruin a movie like this I'll be boycotting them forever. :x
How would you define ruining it? Because this isn’t one of the books made into a movie, so there’s no official story they are adhering to.
Samantha14
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.

Post by Samantha14 »

bookworm wrote:
Samantha14 wrote:If they ruin a movie like this I'll be boycotting them forever. :x
How would you define ruining it? Because this isn’t one of the books made into a movie, so there’s no official story they are adhering to.
I know. I'm referring to them making it inappropriate or unnecessary in any way. I mean, I know there is a bit of "Witchcraft" in this one, just as there was the last one. But, not to the point of... Well, I think you get the idea. It's mostly fairy tale and nonsense that come together as a classic movie. However, seeing as this isn't based of a book, and is made in this day in age, there is always the possibility of certain "things" in it that could and should be left out, being in the film. If it goes along with the story style of the last one, then it could be a classic, family-friendly, fun movie. If it goes as many movies today, then you might want to consider finding another movie to watch.

This is what I am referring to. (;
merp.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I think I know what you mean. I think it will probably be fine.
They surely know that families will be going to this expecting a family movie.
Samantha14
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.

Post by Samantha14 »

bookworm wrote:I think I know what you mean. I think it will probably be fine.
They surely know that families will be going to this expecting a family movie.
I pray you're right. There are many kids/family movies out that they "surely knew" that families were going to be expecting an actual family movie, yet they still pushed the envelope.... I'm just a bit, hmm... concerned, I guess you could say. But, that's just me being me.
merp.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m going to see it this weekend! \:D/
I watched The Wizard of Oz last night to get ready.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am also thinking about seeing this one. Haven't seen or heard any reviews but I'm still curious.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln