It’s Friday, Friday! Or is it?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

It’s Friday, Friday! Or is it?

Post by bookworm »

Yesterday was Thursday, but what day comes afterwards?
Rebecca Black’s infamous music video is gone!

This is a confusing twist in the Friday saga, and no one knows the full story yet.
About two weeks ago, the Friday video was taken down because of a copyright claim by none other than Rebecca Black herself. It was briefly listed in Youtube Rentals, meaning you had to pay $2.99 to watch it, but then vanished again and is still gone to this day.

What’s unclear is who filed the copyright complaint and why.
Perhaps it was someone falsely claiming to be Rebecca and the situation just hasn’t been cleared up yet.
If it was the real Rebecca, it’s still unclear why she did it.
Was it a concession to her haters aimed at avoiding additional attention?
Or did she have it pulled so she could market the publicity herself and not have to share it with Ark?

There’s been no official explanation from either Ark Music or Rebecca.
To further complicate things, while the original video is gone Ark’s official remix remains.

If the purpose of removing the video was to stem the attention on the song, why was this video allowed to stay online?
We we we so confused. We so confused. Where’s the song about today?
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

Wow that's really odd. :-k
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The world rejoices. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

American Eagle wrote:The world rejoices. ;)
Hehe.

That's interesting...wonder what will come of this. Maybe it was a mistake...or maybe she just wanted the video off and didn't care so much about the song...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

*Rejoices*

She created her own vevo youtube account. 'Twas funny.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I think there was a dispute between Ark Factory and Rebecca Black and so youtube took it down until they can settle the issue... unless of course I'm very mistaken :shrugs:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There is indeed a dispute going on between Rebecca Black and Ark, which gives some validity to the possibility that the real Rebecca is behind the takedown.
Reportedly, Ark Music has yet to give Rebecca the Friday master recordings, which her contract makes her the owner of. Since Ark is a recording studio rather than a record label, their business with clients should be over once the money is paid. However in this case, presumably because of Friday’s unforeseen success, Ark continues to market Rebecca as one of their star ‘artists’. Rebecca has requested they stop, but they haven’t.

As for the video’s brief appearance on Youtube Rentals, Rebecca says she had nothing to do with it. It’s still unknown if that was just a glitch, or if it was a stunt by Ark to pull in more money off this before they lose the ‘rights’ of the song to Rebecca. (Who is actually the proper owner to begin with.)

After the takedown Friday was apparently reuploaded by Rebecca to a Vevo account separate from Ark, but that has also gone offline now. The account has also been suspended “due to a violation of YouTube's policy prohibiting content designed to impersonate another person or user” which may mean it wasn’t the real Rebecca after all.

Through it all, Friday remains available for purchase through iTunes where the credit goes to Rebecca but the money is reportedly split Black 60% Ark 40%.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

haha I wonder if my friend had anything to do with the other account. He was going to try to put it up again...
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Finally, some answers.

A representative for Rebecca said “We can confirm that we submitted a Take Down Notice to YouTube as a result of the dispute we have with Ark Music regarding the ‘Friday’ video.”
So it was the real Rebecca.
I still don’t know if she was the one that reuploaded it to Vevo. I would think not since that one was also taken down.

And apparently it was indeed Ark that decided to make the video a $2.99 rental. Rebecca knew nothing of it, and her lawyers ordered it taken down when she found out.

While we’re waiting for this mess to be settled, has anyone checked out any of the other Ark videos?

(Interestingly, this one was removed from Ark’s channel as well. This is a reupload.)

Compared with those I’d have to say Friday wasn’t actually too terrible. At least it was catchy.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow...they really think people want to rent her video for $2.99?! She'd have to be the most amazing singer ever for me to even consider that...crazy.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

American Eagle wrote:The world rejoices. ;)
\:D/

lol that really is weird. Thanks for the update bookworm. O:)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

SoccerLOTR wrote:Wow...they really think people want to rent her video for $2.99?! She'd have to be the most amazing singer ever for me to even consider that...crazy.
Imagine if you produced a video that suddenly started climbing the YouTube charts like wildfire. Sure, everyone hates it, but that doesn't change the fact it's getting millions of views a week! As those impossibly high numbers climb higher and higher, you gotta be thinking, "There just HAS to be a way I can make more money from all these views!" ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Exactly. It wasn’t that they thought it was good, it was the attention.

...No thoughts on the other videos?
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

bookworm wrote:...No thoughts on the other videos?
Uh... they are failures?

\:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Well obviously. :roll:
But how do they compare? Better, as bad, worse?

I can’t stand Hooked On You for two reasons. (Actually more, but two main ones.)
First, since when is ‘you’re plastic’ a compliment?
Second, there’s a glaring grammar error in the chorus! “Your lips so soft it shines” It’s they shine! They! :x
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

:O Bad grammar in songs? Whatever is the world coming to?

Personally, I don't think it matters anyway; it's already destroyed the brain cells of people the world over anyway.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

TigerintheShadows wrote::O Bad grammar in songs? Whatever is the world coming to?

Personally, I don't think it matters anyway; it's already destroyed the brain cells of people the world over anyway.
:yes: yuppers!

I do realize that they probably thought they should try to make a profit out of all the views...but I guarantee, I wouldn't view anything so bad if I actually had to pay money to watch it. Much less watch it multiple times (therefore needing to rent it multiple times) Ahem...no. Ain't happenin' here!

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Friday's back on youtube! I don't know if it's official, but there's a pretty good version on there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Anna><> wrote:Friday's back on youtube! I don't know if it's official, but there's a pretty good version on there.
That is an unsanctioned reupload. I’m sure it will be removed once it is noticed.

In the meantime, here’s Saturday. Sort of.

Not really.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

bookworm wrote:First, since when is ‘you’re plastic’ a compliment?
Actually, he says 'you're classic'. :-

At least these people can sing....
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein