Doctor Who- Best/Worst Episodes

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Doctor Who- Best/Worst Episodes

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

So I thought I'd open us up to a bit of a discussion on the best/worst Doctor Who episodes. We should start out by listing ours. List your favorite and least favorite episodes for everyone and we can talk about them and tell us why.

Since I'm going to assume that most people have just seen the new series, we'll only use those episodes from 2005 to now. Also no other Doctor Who media for the moment including books, comics, audios, ect. Just so we can all be on the same page. Some of my favorite Doctor Who stories actually come from audios, but we'll skip out on those for now.

I want to see what everyone else's is first before I put mine.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

"Blink" and "Midnight" are the two best episodes, imho. I think they perfectly capture the spirit of Doctor Who, and I would definitely suggest that a new viewer start with those two.

That said, "The Doctor's Wife" is my absolute favorite episode. I adore the interaction between the TARDIS and her Doctor. :inlove:

The only episodes I don't particularly care for are "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit." As a Christian, I find the theology infused in these episodes more than a little disturbing, although I readily admit that the climax is vintage Doctor Who material. Theology aside, there really aren't any other episodes that I vehemently dislike. "The Idiot's Lantern" and "Gridlock" are not exactly brilliant, although they aren't terrible, but I suppose I would consider those the worst if I had to choose.
Last edited by Aeva on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

What in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit did you agree with? I'm curious what particular things might have raised alarm bells. I can't really think of anything that would do so. Other than, you know, having a Satan story on nearly every planet. Though that's kind of a cool idea.
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Are we referring to the best/worst of all episodes ever? Or just the episodes since the relaunch?
*insert provocative quote here*
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:Are we referring to the best/worst of all episodes ever? Or just the episodes since the relaunch?
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Since I'm going to assume that most people have just seen the new series, we'll only use those episodes from 2005 to now.
\:D/

Anyways, it kind of kills me to say this, because I've always been pretty much dead-set against the reign of Stephen Moffat and Eleven and Amy and Rory, but... I love 'The Doctor's Wife'. Idris was brilliant, and I think Eleven's at his best when he's that lost little boy just along for the ride with his TARDIS. Melts my heart every time. :inlove:

For one of the outright dumbest episodes, the clear winner in my mind is 'Love and Monsters'. I only scraped my way through that one once. Blech. And pretty much everything Aeva said about 'The Impossible Planet' goes for me, too. I actually couldn't bring myself to watch 'The Satan Pit' after watching 'The Impossible Planet', and I think it's the only DW episode I've willingly skipped. That episode scarred me for a loooong time. :anxious:
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Petrichor wrote:
Musical Shutterbug wrote:Are we referring to the best/worst of all episodes ever? Or just the episodes since the relaunch?
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:Since I'm going to assume that most people have just seen the new series, we'll only use those episodes from 2005 to now.

Anyways, it kind of kills me to say this, because I've always been pretty much dead-set against the reign of Stephen Moffat and Eleven and Amy and Rory, but... I love 'The Doctor's Wife'. Idris was brilliant, and I think Eleven's at his best when he's that lost little boy just along for the ride with his TARDIS. Melts my heart every time. :inlove:

For one of the outright dumbest episodes, the clear winner in my mind is 'Love and Monsters'. I only scraped my way through that one once. Blech. And pretty much everything Aeva said about 'The Impossible Planet' goes for me, too. I actually couldn't bring myself to watch 'The Satan Pit' after watching 'The Impossible Planet', and I think it's the only DW episode I've willingly skipped. That episode scarred me for a loooong time. :anxious:
You guys know what's terrible? The Satan Pit and the Impossible Planet were the first ones I watched, because a friend insisted that I watch them... like a long time ago :anxious: It pretty much killed off my interest in the series...

Until I started watching them last week, and I am now watching them starting with the relaunch, I am on episode 4 season one now :) So I really can't say which are my favorite...
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

I got kind of depressed trying to come up with my personal favorite/least favorite episodes, because as much as I love Doctor Who, I have to admit that there rather a lot of badly done episodes. :( But anyway.

After much deliberation, for favorite episodes I have come up with The Unicorn and the Wasp (series four), and The Doctor's Wife (series six). Okay, admittedly TUatW's premise is dumb, but if you can look past that, it's kind of brilliant. It's got Donna...and Ten... :inlove: ...and the Doctor reminiscing about Charlemagne being kidnapped by an insane computer. \:D/ And The Doctor's Wife...Pretty much the complete opposite of The Unicorn and the Wasp, but it's a really special episode. Idris is a spectacular character.

Blink isn't on this list because, well...I would think it's kinda a gimme on every Whovian's list. ;)

And as for least favorites, I'd have to go with Aliens of London/World War Three (series one), and Love and Monsters (series two). I am still not fully convinced that AoL/WWIII were not mainly written by a group of eight-year-old boys. They are reeeeeeally hard to watch. And Love and Monsters...well...Elton was really sweet, but other than that the episode was just creepy and gross and bizarre and dumb.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Sparrow wrote:...and the Doctor reminiscing about Charlemagne being kidnapped by an insane computer. \:D/
Good times. Good times.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:What in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit did you agree with? I'm curious what particular things might have raised alarm bells. I can't really think of anything that would do so. Other than, you know, having a Satan story on nearly every planet. Though that's kind of a cool idea.
Yeah, I agree that the premise was an interesting idea (and like I said, the climax was totally brilliant). I just didn't care for the Ood calling themselves the "Legion of the Beast" (or something like that, I think), which I thought was too close to end times prophecy, and I felt the possession was slightly too demonic in appearance. I guess my main complaint is that, since I believe Satan is real, I just don't think he is something to be messed around with.

And I totally forgot about "Love and Monsters"; that is definitely the only episode that I refuse to ever watch again lol. Augh, it was terrible.
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I must say, "Let's Kill Hitler" is my favorite episode. I don't have a least favorite. :D
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I like the asylum of the Dalek. Though I dislike Angels in Manhattan.
The sleeping angel version of the Statue of Liberty was over kill :sick:
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Petrichor wrote:
Oops :anxious:

Well, that narrows it down for me \:D/

I'm going to go through each series...one at a time, so that I have time to think in-between each :p

(Though I must quickly interject that ANY episode featuring the flawless David Tennant is a personal favorite of mine :inlove: )

So.

Series One (Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor)
Best episode(s):
Rose
Father's Day

"Rose" holds a special place in my heart because it was my first Doctor Who episode ever \:D/ It was just so poorly done that I spent the entire episode laughing on the floor. Yes. Literally.

Worst episode(s):

Honestly, overall, Series One didn't have too much substance in it. Chris was funny, but the plots were pretty weak.
*insert provocative quote here*
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

"Father's Day" was beautiful. :') But you're right: the first season does have some silly episodes, although Christopher Eccleston is BRILLIANT. \:D/ "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" are the best in that season, I think.
Last edited by Aeva on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Aeva wrote:"Father's Day" was beautiful. :') But you're right: the first season does have some silly episodes, although Christopher Eccleston is BRILLIANT. \:D/ "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" are the best in that season, I think.
Hey now, let's not forget the season 1 finale (Bad Wolf and Parting of the Ways)

My turn :)
season 1
Rose (ah, it's humble beginnings)
Dalek
Father's Day
The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances episodes
and the aforementioned season 1 finale

season 2
pretty much all of it. the first 4 really stand out. Don't care for Love & Monsters; it was a filler episode anyway. Didn't like Girl in the Fireplace either....

season 3
again, the first 3 are good, then some subpar ones, and then from Human Nature to the end, it was brilliant. Really didn't like the Dalek's in Manhatten episodes...Blink was my first episode, so it holds a special place in my heart, even if it loses it's brilliance after spotting numerous plot holes.

season 4
All of it. Admittedly, I didn't completely like Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, because I didn't like River Song at first.

Season 5-6
decent, but it was really hard to watch after David Tennant left :(
I finally understood the whole River Song/Melody Pond thing though.
Season 7
easily some of the better Matt Smith episodes

On a serious note, I'm so happy I'm finally part of this fandom. I wanted to be for a long time, then my roommate last year introduced me. I remember the mystery of finding out who the Doctor was, and his history and different things like that because no one spoiled anything for me.
Last edited by Shennifer on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Till the end of the line.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Shennifer wrote:season 3
again, the first 3 are good, then some subpar ones, and then from Human Nature to the end, it was brilliant. Really didn't like the Dalek's in Manhatten episodes...Blink was my first episode, so it holds a special place in my heart, even if it loses it's brilliance after spotting numerous plot holes.
What plot holes in particular? Except, you know, the angel not having a reason to throw something at her at the beginning other than to make it creepy.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
Shennifer wrote:season 3
What plot holes in particular? Except, you know, the angel not having a reason to throw something at her at the beginning other than to make it creepy.
it's been awhile since I've seen the episode, so I can't remember all the ones I know I've spotted, but one (and this isn't a plot hole, more of a...I don't know, random occurrence) was how Sally seems to go from "we just run a shop together" to holding his hand and suddenly acting like she likes him as more than a friend.

Till the end of the line.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

A lot of seasons 1, 2, and 3 were pretty bad.

And those are the only seasons I've seen. :p

I really, really liked the one where they were in this shuttle thing and there was this life form inside some woman's body. I don't remember what it was called, but for some reason I really liked it. Silence in the Library is a good one too.

I guess everyone loves Blink, but I thought it was just fine, nothing extremely special.
Last edited by ric on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

ric wrote:A lot of seasons 1, 2, and 3 were pretty bad.

And those are the only seasons I've seen. :p

I really, really liked the one where they were in this shuttle thing and there was this life form inside some woman's body. I don't remember but it was called, but for some reason I really liked it. Silence in the Library is a good one too.

I guess everyone loves Blink, but I thought it was just fine, nothing extremely special.
Kill Ric. HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE THAT MUCH. :noway:
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

ric wrote:I really, really liked the one where they were in this shuttle thing and there was this life form inside some woman's body. I don't remember but it was calledl.
Midnight. ^_^

I hated The Unicorn... I don't like bugs. :P But I do love Donna.

Favorite? "Vincent and The Doctor". Gets me every time, and one of the only episodes where I actually like Amy.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

You didn't like Midnight? :p
Blitz wrote: Kill Ric. HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE THAT MUCH. :noway:
It was probably about 50% bad, 50% good. I still like the show a lot though. Need to watch season four eventually.