The 2012 Academy Awards!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

The 2012 Academy Awards!

Post by Taps »

Now that all the Academy Award nominations are out I thought it would be a prudent time to discuss the 2012 Academy Awards! What does everybody think of the nominations, and who do you want to win?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Nolan's die-hard fans are probably experiencing aneurysms right about now.

That thought makes me happy. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Taps

Post by Taps »

I'm a Nolan die-hard fan, and while I am not experiencing aneurysms... I am surprised too say the least. I guess I will just be content with the knowledge that it was a huge critical and commercial success :) Anyway, I am not at all surprised about Lincoln getting 12 nominations and Life of Pi getting 11... however I am very surprised (and pleased!) to see that Les Mis snagged 8, including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress! Out of those 3 I think Les Mis will only achieve Best Supporting Actress, but I think it may snag a few of the "lesser" ones as well. It's going to be really interesting to see if The Hobbit and Avengers win any Oscars :) I predict either Avengers or Hobbit will win for Best Visual Effects, I would just like to see which one beats the other out :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Comic book films have a tough time winning anything, but Avengers deserves the nomination at least. \:D/ It wasn't an astounding plot with incredible acting, but the visual effects were pretty top-notch.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm rooting for Lincoln.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've watched this on TV a few times in the past, but I don't know about this year, even though I have seen a few of the movies and am rooting for certain ones.

Till the end of the line.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Hey Shutterbug, any thoughts on the Best Original Score nominees? I don't usually pay as much attention as I should to that category, although I did notice that neither Shore's Hobbit Score and Zimmer's Dark Knight made the cut. Looking at the list, I'd probably say the film in which the score was most memorable to me was Argo... although I still haven't seen Anna Karenina. :(

edit: Actually, now that I look at it more closely, I'm really frustrated that neither Cloud Atlas or The Master made the list. Those were two of the most 'distinct' soundtracks of the year, by far. I guess the Academy prefers those sweeping, inspirational tracks that most of us already recognize, anyway. ;)

edit2: Also, no Brave. Whaaaat. :(
Last edited by jelly on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I don't find this year particularly interesting. >_>

Then again, I haven't seen Lincoln, or Les Misérables, or Life of Pi, or any of the films nominated...

But no nominations for The Hunger Games? Shame.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, realistically I hope Lincoln does well, it was an excellent film.

Did Hitchcock get nominated for anything exciting? I only saw it because it was in my basket of "For your consideration" films for the Oscars that I was sent to review... I enjoyed it as a Hitchcock fan but didn't think it was super wonderful.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Woah, Lincoln was nominated for a lot :p

My various thoughts:

I would love to see either Lincoln or Silver Linings Playbook win Best Picture, if only for the fabulous acting. But I also wouldn't mind if Les Misérables won.

Daniel Day-Lewis and Jennifer Lawrence are my picks for Best Actor/Actress \:D/

Best Animated Film is difficult. Brave was excellent, of course, but I have a soft spot for Wreck-It Ralph and The Pirates! Band of Misfits O:)

I looooove all of the nominations for Best Costume Design. All of those films feature beautiful and elegant costumes that will sweep you off of your feet.

I was expecting more Makeup and Hairstyling nominations :-s

The Writing/Script categories are always difficult to judge. The nominations are always amazing for that category.

Ahhh, Visual Effects. The Hobbit doesn't deserve to win this award because the OVERUSE of their special effects :x Snow White and the Huntsman had its moments in this category, to be sure. Avengers? Excellent as well. I have not seen Life of Pi or Prometheus yet, so I cannot comment on those two films. Yet.
American Eagle wrote:But no nominations for The Hunger Games? Shame.
I was slightly saddened by this as well, but then I remembered that The Hunger Games film is not (on any level) really Oscar material...and I felt better :p
Jelly wrote:Hey Shutterbug, any thoughts on the Best Original Score nominees? I don't usually pay as much attention as I should to that category, although I did notice that neither Shore's Hobbit Score and Zimmer's Dark Knight made the cut. Looking at the list, I'd probably say the film in which the score was most memorable to me was Argo... although I still haven't seen Anna Karenina. :(
I was fully expecting The Dark Knight Rises to be nominated. I was slightly thrilled that The Hobbit wasn't nominated O:)

You haven't seen Anna Karenina, even after I asked you to? :( For shame!

Out of the five nominations, Anna Karenina, Argo, and Lincoln are my favorites. (I would be in heaven if my beloved Williams won another Oscar :inlove: ) Dario Marianelli's score for Anna Karenina is absolutely irresistible. Alexandre Desplat is one of my favorite composers ever, and I adore his Argo score to bits.

Honestly, there were dozens and dozens of fabulous scores released this year. It was a grand year for the film score industry and definitely for my musical tastes \:D/
Jelly wrote:edit: Actually, now that I look at it more closely, I'm really frustrated that neither Cloud Atlas or The Master made the list. Those were two of the most 'distinct' soundtracks of the year, by far. I guess the Academy prefers those sweeping, inspirational tracks that most of us already recognize, anyway. ;)

edit2: Also, no Brave. Whaaaat. :(
The Master was excellent, though not what I would consider one of the most prominent scores of the year. Cloud Atlas....I can only recall one song from that score. I need to listen to it in its entirety. As for Brave, I don't think that it can compete with any of the nominations, regardless of its score's richness and beauty ;)
*insert provocative quote here*
Taps

Post by Taps »

So I just watched Moonrise Kingdom last night... it was really good, I thought it at LEAST deserved a nomination for Best Picture...
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Taps wrote:So I just watched Moonrise Kingdom last night... it was really good, I thought it at LEAST deserved a nomination for Best Picture...
Moonrise Kingdom runs circles around every single other nominated film, combined. ;)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

*thread merged*

Maybe a topic hasn't been started about this because nobody cares, but if anyone does care, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the winners. Did Argo deserve Best Picture? Did Day-Lewis deserve Best Actor for Lincoln? Did Jennifer Lawrence deserve Best Actress for Silver Lining (or did she only win because of The Hunger Games)? Were you excited to see Brave win for Best Animated Picture, or were you hoping for Wreck-It Ralph?

Discuss all this and any other important awards I missed. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm very happy that Daniel Day Lewis won for Lincoln.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Yeah, I'm generally pleased with the results. I haven't seen two-thirds of these movies, but the ones that were awarded seem like the best.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Well, of the nominated films, I only saw Argo and Life of Pi. Both were really good films. I thought Argo's story line was more compelling, but Life of Pi was really visually magnificent. I was glad to see that they both won an award. :)