Deep Space Nine

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
No way I broke the window

Deep Space Nine

Post by 31899 »

I know there are existing Star Trek threads somewhere, but I do not feel like 'digging them up.'

I just finished watching through all of Deep Space Nine, because it was one of the Star Trek series I did not care about growing up [I was too busy caring about Voyager]. I was not prepared for DS9. It was way darker than I expected. Voyager never left my feelings destroyed. Enterprise didn't play games with my thoughts. First Contact didn't give me any fictional crushes. Although it was a bit of a distraction at times from what I should have been doing, I am glad I watched it. It dealt with important social issues (as Star Trek is supposed to), was usually well written and had some incredible acting. Good fiction can teach us a lot about ourselves, and I believe DS9 did that extremely well.

I doubt that anyone cares, but DS9 was amazing.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

DS9 had the overall best episode plots. They were not necessarily as serialized as Voyager was. Voyager was a journey, but DS9 made reference to past episodes. DS9 was amazing.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Whitty Whit wrote:DS9 had the overall best episode plots. They were not necessarily as serialized as Voyager was. Voyager was a journey, but DS9 made reference to past episodes. DS9 was amazing.
Hmm. I've seen a great deal more of Voyager than I have of Deep Space Nine, and I wouldn't have called Voyager "serialized" at all. Actually, I was just thinking earlier today of how Voyager itself didn't seem to register damage or loss of supplies, no matter what happened to it.

Everything I've heard about Deep Space Nine says that it plays the long game in a way the other Trek series didn't. I'd like to see more of it. (I also love the theme music.)
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

So maybe it was the other way around. I watched in during the summer of '10. So I can't remember all that well. But it's still AWESOME. :x
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY

Post by 31899 »

About not registering damage... Remember that time the Maquis destroyed an upper pylon. I would agree with Whit on the basis that Voyager's arcs were more fast-paced where-as DS9 made room for everyday life amongst their story arcs.

Who are your favourite characters?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

31899 wrote:About not registering damage... Remember that time the Maquis destroyed an upper pylon. I would agree with Whit on the basis that Voyager's arcs were more fast-paced where-as DS9 made room for everyday life amongst their story arcs.
Yeah, kinda like Jake. At first, I thought I was going to like his character. But in the end, I thought they should've dumped him a long time ago.
31899 wrote:Who are your favourite characters?
Nog was better than Jake. A whole lot better. I liked how they developed him. Sisko was one of my favorites. I appreciated Odo's role on the station, but didn't care all that much for him. Kira was okay. Jadzia was awesome. The doctor, can't remember his name, was really cool. I liked his storylines. The Cardassian friend of the doctor was funny.

Edit: Yeah, the quantum singularity episodes and also where the crew steals a transwarp conduit that takes them like 12,000 or however many lightyears closer to home. They reference those episodes in future episodes.
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FOREVERKITTY

Post by 31899 »

I found Jake, Nog (and the other Ferengi), entirely annoying. The Ferengi, mostly because they embody almost every thing I hate (they did get a bit better though, but for the wrong reasons). Jake and Nog because their characters seemed to fit like an isolinear chip jammed into the wrong slot. Nog was a bit better because he was proving to his home-world that Ferengi did not have to go into business and could be things other than an entrepreneur.

My favourite characters are a three way tie between Garak, Dax (Both Jadzia and Ezri), and Dr. Bashir. Garak was fun and forced Dr. Bashir to question what he believed and his own understanding of everything (It was also interesting to learn about Cardassian culture). The Dax issues were simply amazing, but also forces the viewer to reconsider how identity is perceived. Jadzia was very fierce and in control, where as Ezri was a bit of a proverbial basket case. Ezri Dax reminds me a lot more of the person I am, where as Jadzia Dax (and Julian Bashir) reminded me a lot more of the person I want to be. (Although Ezri has a lot of qualities I really admire). Julian is an interesting scenario, because he changes more than any other character (in my opinion). Arriving at DS9 the young, hopeful doctor is slowly torn apart. In many ways I think that Jadzia's death was harder for him than Worf.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Whitty Whit wrote:Edit: Yeah, the quantum singularity episodes and also where the crew steals a transwarp conduit that takes them like 12,000 or however many lightyears closer to home. They reference those episodes in future episodes.
Offhand, I don't know if there are any specific "quantum singularity" episodes in Deep Space Nine, but having to be sent 10,000 light-years closer to home without actually getting home in the same episode sounds much more like Voyager than Deep Space Nine. I think you may have your wires crossed.

Deep Space Nine is the one about the space station in a busy place in space.

Voyager is the one about the ship trying to get back to Earth after being flung 70,000 light-years in another direction.

The latter had some continuity between episodes, but not much. "quantum singularity", on the other hand, sounds more like a Deep Space Nine thing -- I remember Sisko trying to explain causality to a bunch of aliens who didn't experience time in the same way as standard organic life in the first episode.

LATE EDIT: ...and The Next Generation was the show from the same time period about a ship full of people simply exploring space and encountering strange new worlds and new civilizations.
Last edited by Caswin on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

31899 wrote:I found Jake, Nog (and the other Ferengi), entirely annoying. The Ferengi, mostly because they embody almost every thing I hate (they did get a bit better though, but for the wrong reasons). Jake and Nog because their characters seemed to fit like an isolinear chip jammed into the wrong slot. Nog was a bit better because he was proving to his home-world that Ferengi did not have to go into business and could be things other than an entrepreneur.

My favourite characters are a three way tie between Garak, Dax (Both Jadzia and Ezri), and Dr. Bashir. Garak was fun and forced Dr. Bashir to question what he believed and his own understanding of everything (It was also interesting to learn about Cardassian culture). The Dax issues were simply amazing, but also forces the viewer to reconsider how identity is perceived. Jadzia was very fierce and in control, where as Ezri was a bit of a proverbial basket case. Ezri Dax reminds me a lot more of the person I am, where as Jadzia Dax (and Julian Bashir) reminded me a lot more of the person I want to be. (Although Ezri has a lot of qualities I really admire). Julian is an interesting scenario, because he changes more than any other character (in my opinion). Arriving at DS9 the young, hopeful doctor is slowly torn apart. In many ways I think that Jadzia's death was harder for him than Worf.
lol just now saw this.

You hate the Ferengi because they are extreme capitalists and an entrepreneurial civilization. That's how they were made. Don't hate them, bro.

Jadzia was my favorite of the two Dax. Ezri was okay, but Jadzia was such a confidant (if I use the the term correctly) for Sisko, that I can't fathom a different Dax. I loved Julian's development as well.
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I saw up to eh, around season six awhile back. And since all of the series (And the rest of them.) is on Hulu currently, I'm going to finish it off.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Quark, of course. He's the bad guy you love to hate. I also though Wayoun was an interesting character (of course, anything Jeffrey Combs plays is good).

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com

Post by 31899 »

Whitty Whit wrote:lol just now saw this.

You hate the Ferengi because they are extreme capitalists and an entrepreneurial civilization. That's how they were made. Don't hate them, bro.

Jadzia was my favorite of the two Dax. Ezri was okay, but Jadzia was such a confidant (if I use the the term correctly) for Sisko, that I can't fathom a different Dax. I loved Julian's development as well.
That is how they chose to make their species. Their entire society is based upon greed. There is also the huge problem of gender inequality, slavery, is there even a need to go on. The worst part of it all is that each Star Trek civilization represents something we Terrans could become, and we could become and in some ways have become so much like the Ferengi.

I found a lot of the Ezri Dax episodes really amazing, especially Afterimage, and Prodigal Daughter. Prodigal Daughter had some really good comic-relief.
Knight Fisher wrote:I saw up to eh, around season six awhile back. And since all of the series (And the rest of them.) is on Hulu currently, I'm going to finish it off.
It is entirely worth it.
Movieman wrote:
Quark, of course. He's the bad guy you love to hate. I also though Wayoun was an interesting character (of course, anything Jeffrey Combs plays is good).
I wouldn't call Quark bad in the traditional villainous sense, more so ethically challenged and extremely greedy. I find the Vorta as a species intriguing. I think this is one of my favourite Weyoun scenes.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I was being humourous. ;)
#FOREVERKITTY

Post by 31899 »

Oh. *head desk* So bad at humour.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I know you are.

Humour there too. ;)
#FOREVERKITTY
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Wait a minute. It's on Hulu?

Wow.

That's a lot of TV.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Caswin wrote:Wait a minute. It's on Hulu?

Wow.

That's a lot of TV.
That's a stupid question. :x Reference.

Indeed. :coffee:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.

Post by 31899 »

The augments were amazing. [It should be noted, I am biased to episodes that involve genetic engineering or genetically engineered people].
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

With four episodes left I'm rather annoyed at how much air time Kai (?) is getting. The show is ending. I'm really not interested in a character I'm not even supposed to like. I guess it's necessary for the plot though.

On the other hand Section 31 is nice.

Post by 31899 »

I wish we would have had more of Kai Opaka.

Oh my word, Section 31 makes me so angry. I even ignore them in Star Trek Online.

Please share ALL your thoughts when you're done watching.