Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:46 pm 
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob
User avatar
the guy who used to watch a lot of films

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Posts: 9161
Age: 25
Gender: Male

Cash: 1,066.72
Bank: 4,500.00
Heaven forbid. :o

..are you not 18?

_________________
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:56 pm 
Why am I even here?
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Posts: 88
Age: 23
Gender: Male

Cash: 253.99
I am allowed to watch some PG-13 movies but because this one has some sexually suggestive things and some profanity I'm not watching it.

_________________
"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money." ~ Margaret Thatcher


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:59 pm 
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
User avatar
Old... but not obsolete.

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:04 am

Posts: 22229
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Highscores: 1

Cash: 9,999,999,994,415,300.00
Bank: 5,584,680.26
Blog: View Blog (1)
My theater cut out the sexual parts I think. >_>

_________________
Image
Image
Image

I'm bored today so come ask me questions here as the topic suggests.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:11 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
User avatar
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Posts: 6626

Cash: 296.24
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
It's the nearly shirtless Injun, Top. :noway:


I haven't seen this yet, so I'll probably just wait until it comes out on DVD and pirate it online... my dad enjoyed it, however, and he knows all the original LR stuff, so I'm sold. \:D/

_________________
Image
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:14 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14253
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 875.70
Bank: 55,000.00
Yeah, from what I hear it’s only the critics giving negative feedback, the actual audiences like it. Which makes me extra angry our theater bailed, if that was indeed the cause.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 pm 
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob
User avatar
the guy who used to watch a lot of films

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Posts: 9161
Age: 25
Gender: Male

Cash: 1,066.72
Bank: 4,500.00
bookworm wrote:
Yeah, from what I hear it’s only the critics giving negative feedback, the actual audiences like it. Which makes me extra angry our theater bailed, if that was indeed the cause.

This is silly. The 'critics' are just as much of an 'actual audience' as anyone else. Some of them just get paid to write about the films they watch. Generally, the critics are people who also take movies more seriously than most other people.. so when the general consensus is negative, it probably means another heap of shallow entertainment and that only the least demanding audiences will enjoy.

I haven't seen The Lone Ranger yet, though. :(

_________________
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:15 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14253
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 875.70
Bank: 55,000.00
Jelly wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Yeah, from what I hear it’s only the critics giving negative feedback, the actual audiences like it. Which makes me extra angry our theater bailed, if that was indeed the cause.
This is silly. The 'critics' are just as much of an 'actual audience' as anyone else. Some of them just get paid to write about the films they watch. Generally, the critics are people who also take movies more seriously than most other people.. so when the general consensus is negative, it probably means another heap of shallow entertainment and that only the least demanding audiences will enjoy.
That is silly. Critics may have more ‘refined’ movie tastes (though that is debatable) but when the consensus from official critics is negative, yet the consensus from ‘regular’ people is positive, it is clear who the real audience is. There are more ‘casual’ viewers than critics, and if they like the movie that’s what matters. You can say ‘they just like it because they don’t know what’s good’ but that doesn’t matter, the point is they like it whatever their reason.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:44 pm 
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob
User avatar
the guy who used to watch a lot of films

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Posts: 9161
Age: 25
Gender: Male

Cash: 1,066.72
Bank: 4,500.00
bookworm wrote:
Critics may have more ‘refined’ movie tastes (though that is debatable)

Sounds like someone gets agitated when they don't like what the critics have to say. ;)

Having a more 'refined' taste only comes from watching more films - and having a broader appreciation of film - than most other people. If someone with a more 'refined' taste in film doesn't like a certain movie that his friends did, it might be because he's already seen two of three other movies that utilize the same plot events or themes, and is therefore able to recognize the clichés that others might miss. It might be because he's seen more of what film is capable of offering, and is sooner disappointed when a movie isn't as great as it could have been. Having a more refined taste in anything is just the natural result of experiencing a wider variety, and being able to discern the better from the worse. I might be happy with my cheap burger and fries until I sit down at an expensive diner and devour an excellent meal, and all of the sudden the fast food looks like garbage by comparison. It's the process of maturing.

bookworm wrote:
There are more ‘casual’ viewers than critics, and if they like the movie that’s what matters.

You sound like a Hollywood executive. I guess we can justify Transformers 5, 6 and 7 now. \:D/

_________________
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm 
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict
User avatar


Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am

Posts: 7618

Cash: 16.58
Bank: 1,653.48
Jelly wrote:
I haven't seen The Lone Ranger yet, though. :(


Don't waste your money seeing it in theatres. It's not worth a full ticket price ;) Just wait until it comes out on DVD.

_________________
Image
Lisa Hammit, Our StrongNChrist {1991-2011}
Missed and loved :hug:



Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:46 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14253
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 875.70
Bank: 55,000.00
Jelly wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Critics may have more ‘refined’ movie tastes (though that is debatable)
Sounds like someone gets agitated when they don't like what the critics have to say. ;)
Not at all, I’m more than welcome to what anyone has to say. What agitates me is when they don’t just say it, they declare it as if it’s the only correct opinion. And the rest of your post shows the exact same mindset. 'The critics are more knowledgeable so they are the ones that really know what’s good. If anyone, Heaven forbid, enjoys a critically panned movie it’s because those poor souls are too stupid to know it’s not good.' Is it possible they just have different tastes that cause them to personally like the movie? 'No, absolutely not, they’re just mindless screen watchers.' It’s an attitude that is sickeningly arrogant, yet extremely pervasive.

There occasionally comes a movie, such as this, where there is a clear and complete disagreement between the response of professional critics and the response of regular moviegoers. The critics all agree the movie is bad, yet the audience responds favorably. In these situations one side has to be, if not wrong, at least ‘less right’ and my bet for the correct side would be the one with more people on it: the ‘casual’ watcher, the ‘less refined’ viewer, the ‘regular’ person, whatever you want to label them.

Professional critics tend to believe they have some perspective that is better and greater than the common person, and therefore their personal opinion on a movie is the definitive response that movie should get, there can be no other. If a professional critic says the movie stinks then darn it that’s a bad movie! So what if the layman audience response is 90% positive; they don’t know enough to have a valid opinion!
Clearly, this is wrong. There is no definitive label for any movie, it depends on each and every viewer. A critic has no more authority to declare a movie bad than a casual watcher does to declare it good, they can each only declare their personal take on it. True professional critics are more knowledgeable in ways of analyzing characters and story, and this gives them the ability to provide a more authoritative insight into how well or poorly done a movie is, but they cannot definitively declare for every viewer in the world ‘This is a bad movie.’

A recent case where this came up was with the new Oz movie. Critics pretty universally agreed it was terrible. I strongly disagree. It certainly isn’t one of the greatest movies ever, but it was far from terrible, and I would emphatically insist it wasn’t even bad. One particular complaint I came across in several reviews was that the Wizard’s character (his inner character, not the character of the Wizard, if you know what I mean) didn’t have a sufficient change through the movie, he didn’t develop or some such critic lingo. I was shocked to see this repeated again and again, because it’s not true! And I, an uninformed causal movie watcher, could see it!
His character in fact undergoes significant changes through the story of the movie, influenced by the various other characters he interacts with. See my review for a runthrough, especially the part about the china girl’s leg. When I had that realization, I immediately had two thoughts. One, I was extremely proud of myself, because that was one of the few times I felt like I delved into ‘deep’ analysis of a movie. Two, shock that if I of all people picked up on that, the people whose job it is to catch these symbolisms passed right over it!

Long short: Critics can be wrong. Their ‘professional’ opinions on movies need to be treated as just that: opinions. More informed opinions than the average viewer, perhaps, but that doesn’t give them any infallible authority on what’s good and what isn’t; that decision is up to each individual.

Application to this particular movie and why it upset me:
It’s ridiculous to let the critical response cause you to give up on a movie, if that is indeed what happened here, when the response from the viewing public has been just as overwhelmingly positive as the ‘professionals’ have been overwhelmingly negative. The majority of the audience likes it, don’t overlook that and take the minority’s side as conclusive just because they’re believed to have ‘superior’ understanding that lets them have the ‘right’ response.

Edit:

Jelly wrote:
If someone with a more 'refined' taste in film doesn't like a certain movie that his friends did, it might be because he's already seen two of three other movies that utilize the same plot events or themes, and is therefore able to recognize the clichés that others might miss. It might be because he's seen more of what film is capable of offering, and is sooner disappointed when a movie isn't as great as it could have been.
Jelly wrote:
It's the process of maturing.
Absolutely! I’m not disagreeing with this at all. It’s great if someone is personally able to get a deeper analysis of a movie through their experience and maturity. Good for them! But that doesn’t mean the movie itself it universally bad, only that, as you said, it could have been better, and certain people realize that. They come away personally unsatisfied, and that is their prerogative. But the less mature doesn’t have the baggage or enlightenment, depending on how you want to view it, that gives them that ‘deeper’ response, and so they are capable of enjoying it. And good for them too! It’s not a flaw to be less mature, again as you say, it’s the result of less exposure than their more refined friends.

So the critic can say ‘This was bad’ and be correct, and the layman can say ‘This was good’ and also be correct - because they each leave unspoken the last part of their sentence: ‘for me.’

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
User avatar
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Posts: 6626

Cash: 296.24
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
Jelly, my dad enjoyed it, and I bet you anything he's older than most of the critics out there, being almost sixty... thus having seen and being knowledgeable about more movies than they, and being raised in the era when you watched all the old movies as well as the new. ;) As I said, he knows all the original LR and he enjoyed it. It comes down to personal opinion; critics are just given the task of their opinion being the one typed and printed.

I tend to ignore reviews aside from content and make the decision for myself whether or not the movie is good. \:D/

_________________
Image
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: The Lone Ranger
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14253
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 875.70
Bank: 55,000.00
Termite wrote:
I tend to ignore reviews aside from content and make the decision for myself whether or not the movie is good. \:D/
As do I Termite; and I will get that chance here after all! My theater suddenly put this back up! Other people must have been as upset as I was and complained they dropped it. My group is excited, our plans are back on. \:D/

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
The site is in no way affiliated with Focus on the Family. "Adventures in Odyssey" is the registered trademark of Focus on the Family.