The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I guess I never posted, but I saw this in the theater because my movie group was going.
The interesting thing is I’ve never seen the first movie or even read the book. Normally I would never jump into the middle of something like this, but for whatever reason I wasn’t worried at all about this one. I think it was probably because even though I hadn’t seen the movie I knew the story of the Hunger Games, so I had enough understanding to pick up and follow along.

I enjoyed it a lot, more than I expected to. It made me plan to watch the first one, and I will definitely see the third one when it comes out.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I watched the first movie before I read the books, and I honestly think the films are better than the books (at least so far), which is a rare occurrence for me. (For the record, I think Catching Fire was actually better than the first film, which was also quite good.)
Last edited by Aeva on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I have yet to watch it. *Sigh*
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Aeva wrote:I watched the first movie before I read the books, and I honestly think the films are better than the books (at least so far), which is a rare occurrence for me. (For the record, I think Catching Fire was actually better than the first film, which was also quite good.)
Because you watched the movie first, you have a bias toward the movies. Generally, those who read the books first have a bias toward the books. It's simply because we get used to how the world in the story is presented (whether in book or movie form), and it just doesn't have the same emotional draw as the medium through which we first experienced that world.
If that makes any sense at all.
It's nearly 9:30 on a Saturday night... It's past my bedtime. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

So, I finally watched Catching Fire, and I think I must be missing something because I was fairly unimpressed by it. I'm not sure if my expectations were too high or something, but it didn't strike me as particularly good, or particularly memorable. Honestly, I think I actually liked the first one better. :anxious:

There were a few things that I really liked. Jena Malone as Johanna was brilliant. I couldn't have asked for better. \:D/ I actually also like movie-Haymitch far more than book-Haymitch; Woody Harrelson is doing a great job with the role. The Capitol outfits seemed much more elaborate this time, so that was cool.

But then there were other things. Like that child who plays Prim. Who seems like she is constantly on the verge of slipping into a coma. And it could've just been me, but Finnick's accent seemed really dodgy. I don't know if he was trying to sound like someone who's been living in the Capitol for a long time or whatever, but the end result was just grating. And, I'll probably never be forgiven for saying this, but...Jennifer Lawrence just doesn't look like a seventeen-year-old, and say what you will, that makes the movie a lot less believable.

My biggest problem with it was mostly that it just seemed to spin endlessly on and on--maybe I watched it when I was exhausted, but the thing just WOULD NOT END. :x I was ready for it to be done about an hour before it actually was.

I'll probably watch the movie again at some point, but I don't really anticipate liking it any better.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

~JCGJ~ wrote:
Aeva wrote:I watched the first movie before I read the books, and I honestly think the films are better than the books (at least so far), which is a rare occurrence for me. (For the record, I think Catching Fire was actually better than the first film, which was also quite good.)
Because you watched the movie first, you have a bias toward the movies. Generally, those who read the books first have a bias toward the books. It's simply because we get used to how the world in the story is presented (whether in book or movie form), and it just doesn't have the same emotional draw as the medium through which we first experienced that world.
If that makes any sense at all.
It's nearly 9:30 on a Saturday night... It's past my bedtime. :mrgreen:
Yeah, but then I finished the series long before the second movie came out, and, having digested it for a while, I still like the film Catching Fire much better than the book.

On the whole, though, I do agree with your point. ;) The Hunger Games is an anomaly for me.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

So I saw this movie a while ago. I loved the arena! It was amazing. Finnick was amazingly awesome. The ending was a little more than okay.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY