America's Got Talent (Season 8)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

We think the show is rigged. And we don't like any of the judges... *coughheidicoughhowie*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m glad they changed venues for the live shows because it made them redo the stage again. It looks great, infinitely better than last season.

Do they say ‘This is the best talent ever’ every season? Because that’s definitely not true. Last season was better than this, by far.

I didn’t think tellAvision’s audition was really noteworthy, but this performance was pretty awesome.

I don’t know what Heidi is talking about. How can she know she’s seen all they have to see? This was so different and better than the first performance you can’t even compare the two, that shows diversity. They can come back next time with a completely different story and performance.
It’s like Silhouettes, each performance is essentially the same thing, but because of the story they put into it each is completely different and enjoyable. Being similar is not a bad thing, the problem is being repetitive. I don’t think this act will be that.
We’ll know after the next performance, if there is one, whether they have what it takes to keep going.

I didn’t like Branden James’ audition; I don’t go for opera singers. But I actually liked this performance. He is definitely a good singer, and now that I see he’s not going to hold himself to that one genre like opera singers in past seasons have I wouldn’t mind if he goes on. I don’t personally want him to, there are other acts I like better, and I’m still biased against singers in general on this show, but if he does I won’t be like ‘Darn it, I have to listen to him again.’ I will be going ‘Darn it’ over the judges though. Howie and Heidi both made it all about his story. For goodness sake people, we’ve heard it three times now, we know he has a sob story, drop it already and focus on the talent. This show is not called America’s Got A Sob Story To Carry You Through The Competition. At least Howard and Mel commented on his performance like good judges.

I don’t like the new format for the voting numbers, it seems unfair. They used to do it at the very end, with clips from each performance. That was good because it refreshed your memory of what you liked or didn’t like from each. But now it’s done before the final performance, which gives an edge to that final performance because that act and number are the last thing you remember. Also, instead of clips it just shows pictures of the acts, which again gives an edge to the ones that go on later because they are fresher in your memory.

The acts I would put through:
tellAvision
American Hitmen
Collins Key
KriStef Brothers

-- 30 Jul 2013 02:43 pm --

This was great :lol:

Well, we won’t get a chance to see what else tellAvision has in them after all. I’m very disappointed, and pretty surprised. Their act was unique and enjoyable. I really wanted to see them at least one more time and see what else they could do.

Oh yeah, I forgot the judges still have a role here. >_>
Why do they turn it just part way over to America? What’s the point of having voters pick just three and not all four? Especially if it just goes back to America if the judges tie (which is why four judges is such a stupid idea) anyway?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

tellAvision's act was so boring. They didn't really do much and relied on the dancers as the center of their act...which wasn't very good. And frankly, I really don't care to see a bunch of people carry around tv's.
bookie wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the judges still have a role here. >_>
Why do they turn it just part way over to America? What’s the point of having voters pick just three and not all four? Especially if it just goes back to America if the judges tie (which is why four judges is such a stupid idea) anyway?
I agree. It just gives them another chance to make a horrible decision. >_>
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

They certainly pass some untalented people on America's Got Talent. :jester:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:tellAvision's act was so boring.
I’m really curious what you look for in acts, because I can’t see why you would say this. I could understand saying it didn’t impress you, or excite you, or something like that, but I definitely can’t see calling it boring. I loved it. The way they used the technology for the transitions, and how it perfectly complimented the story they told, that impressed me. I don’t think it could go all the way and win or become an hour show or anything, but I thought it was definitely one of the stand out performances of that night.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

I am surprised that Marty Brown is still alive! The dude had a recording contract in the 90s and released several albums! http://agt.wikia.com/wiki/Marty_Brown I am very disappointed that Ciana did not get through.

I am glad One-hit Disgusting is gone.
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

manfrednissley wrote:I am glad One-hit Disgusting is gone.
I know, right? I am still baffled as to how they even made it past the audition....AND straight past Vegas week. >_>
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

snubs wrote:
manfrednissley wrote:I am glad One-hit Disgusting is gone.
I know, right? I am still baffled as to how they even made it past the audition....AND straight past Vegas week. >_>
I know! I mean, I would have much rather seen that dancing kid from Indiana move on, than "Tone the Cheif-loosa."
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm a bit behind on the video watching. Need to catch up so I know what ya'll are talking about ;)

Till the end of the line.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My gosh that Alexandr guy is out of his mind!

I was thinking it would be funny if Forte came back with another new guy for this performance. :P

Alright, it’s time to get this Tone joke over with. And Howie clearly doesn’t understand what his job is. I cannot believe what he just said. “People tweet me all the time, they get mad at me because they say ‘This is not an hour show.’ - That’s not the criteria; we’re just looking for talent.” Yeah - talent for an hour show! So that is the criteria.

Innovative Force
Kid The Wiz
Forte
Angela Hoover

-- 03 Aug 2013 09:52 am --

I’m not surprised at all that Marty was put through, even though his performance wasn’t as strong this time. When the judges kept going ‘Oh you blew it tonight’ I was just shaking my head, because they were contradicting themselves. In past seasons when an act that had previously been at a high level had a bad night they would say ‘This performance wasn’t at your usual level, but we look at your overall record and from your past performances we know you’re better than this.’ That was what happened here. Yeah he messed up, but he had a valid reason. He got emotional before and it threw him off. People know he’s better than that, the judges said it themselves, we’ve heard him before and we know he’s good. They voted him through on his portfolio, not this singular performance. I think that was the right thing to do. However it should only happen once. We know he is better than that, so now he has to be better than that.

I cannot believe the judges tied again! This one was a no-brainer! They can claim everyone loves Tone all they want (which they must know isn’t true, they’re just drawing it out as a joke now - I hope), but there’s no question Angela had to be the one to move on here. Thank goodness it was turned back to America so the judges could be shown what we really want because they don’t seem to be able to figure it out for whatever reason.

And Tone was just fine with it! Even he knew that thing had run its course; why the judges insisted holding onto it is beyond me.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:My gosh that Alexandr guy is out of his mind!
Seriously. I mean, is it really worth the risk to do that stuff?? Not for me, thank you very much. BUT, I am surprised and disappointed he didn't go through. Because I've never seen a better danger/sword swallowing act. Even though I don't like those acts AT ALL. =| bleh.
bookie wrote:I was thinking it would be funny if Forte came back with another new guy for this performance. :P
That's what I keep waiting for. I mean, I think they are very good singers...but something about them is just weird. *shrugs*
bookie wrote:I cannot believe the judges tied again! This one was a no-brainer! They can claim everyone loves Tone all they want (which they must know isn’t true, they’re just drawing it out as a joke now - I hope), but there’s no question Angela had to be the one to move on here. Thank goodness it was turned back to America so the judges could be shown what we really want because they don’t seem to be able to figure it out for whatever reason.

And Tone was just fine with it! Even he knew that thing had run its course; why the judges insisted holding onto it is beyond me.
^This.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:
bookworm wrote:My gosh that Alexandr guy is out of his mind!
Seriously. I mean, is it really worth the risk to do that stuff?? Not for me, thank you very much. BUT, I am surprised and disappointed he didn't go through. Because I've never seen a better danger/sword swallowing act. Even though I don't like those acts AT ALL. =| bleh.
Total ditto.
The only thing I can think when someone like that performs is "Why are you even doing this?!" I don't like it at all, I don't like to watch it, but it is a talent, and he is the definitely the best they've ever had, so I wouldn't have been surprised if he did go through.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

*posts for bookie*

I thought that magician guy was....terrible. =|
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I had no idea what AeroSphere was at their audition, because it was just breezed by, but now I get it.

     

That’s pretty unique. Not quite sure what to make of it as an act, but certainly unique.

I think this was the most energetic acrobatic act I’ve ever seen.

I never knew there were so many ways to jump rope. :P

It’s incredible how entrancing these arm movements are!

The dog act was fun again, but it’s at the point in the competition where it’s time to say it’s cute, it is a talent, but it’s not a winner. It was neat how they did the Wizard of Oz theme though.

Wow, Kenichi blew it away again! I have never seen anything like this!

I agree with Howie’s enthusiasm, but not his conclusion just yet. It’s a bit early to insist he must be the winner. He’s definitely up there though.

Chicago Boyz
Mitsi Dancing School
Kenichi Ebina
Jim Meskimen

-- 12 Aug 2013 02:30 pm --

Woah, that kid broke his leg! :shock:

That’s terrible.

I’m surprised Jonathan was put through. Well, I’m not surprised because I knew America would grab onto his sob story, but I’m surprised because there were a bunch of great acts he was up against in this particular round. I didn’t think he was in the top four here. I’m afraid people voted him through on his story, because I don’t actually think he’s an amazing singer. He’s really good, for sure, but he isn’t great.
If you remember in the featurette before his act, when he was talking about all the support he’s getting by being on the show, it showed part of an email he received. I paused and read it, and it was from someone who was raving about how inspirational he was and how terrible what he went through was, and promised that they would be voting for him and they were sure many others would too. That angered me, because it shows the bias. There’s no denying there isn’t one now, this is proof. You can’t say ‘I’m voting for you!’ because you haven’t seen the act yet! That is a blatant admission that it doesn’t matter how he does, or who he’s up against, he already has your vote just because he’s him.

Well the judges finally made a decision, and it was a tough one. I really don’t know whether I agree or disagree with it, because I could totally see putting either of those through. But I agree with Howie’s wondering if the strong support for Chicago Boyz is actually for the act, or just because of the accident. Because it seems like it’s a ton of intense support that came out of nowhere. I don’t remember them being this much of a favorite before. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this affects their next performance.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I have to agree with their assessment of the Aerosphere Aerial Balloon show. While they are unique, I don't feel like a lot of effort is involved.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Sometimes I wish America and the judges didn't have such a short attention span

How many acts are left?
Last edited by Shennifer on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Till the end of the line.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Monty wrote:I have to agree with their assessment of the Aerosphere Aerial Balloon show. While they are unique, I don't feel like a lot of effort is involved.
Yeah, I think it is the kind of act that needs to stay in the circus. So the other acts (within the circus) can compensate. And that is totally not a bad thing.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I still have no idea what this is, but it’s somewhat mesmerizing.

I think Howard was right, to an extent. It would help them to have a story to their effects, but I don’t think it hurts them terribly not to because that’s a side focus, the effects themselves are the point of the act, not necessarily what they do with them.

I’ve been impressed with Timber Brown. I was skeptical of how far an act of ‘climbing stuff’ could go, thinking it would get repetitive, but he’s kept changing it up and keeping it fresh.

I hope the judges are properly embarrassed now that they’ve seen the performance they insisted Tummy Talk needed to give. And Howie of all people buzzed them! But his reason was as stupid as his support for them. He and Mel both said the reason this performance wasn’t as ‘good’ was because they added other stuff to just slapping the big guy, which is ludicrous! All acts on the show, however ridiculous, need to step it up each time they perform. This was a step in the right direction, they did the right thing. The reason it didn’t work is because the act itself doesn’t work. They did the best they could, they actually made it better, but it didn’t help because the act itself still isn’t any good.

I loved that Howard told America once again that they’ve “got to judge on talent and not the backstory” but I sadly doubt they’ll listen.

3 Penny Chorus and Orchestra
SensEtion
The Robotix
David Ferman

-- 17 Aug 2013 04:16 pm --

Howie on Tummy Talk: “I fought for them, I feel I made a big mistake.” Sounds great on the surface, but you don’t know if the mistake in his mind is finally realizing now that the act isn’t good, or just that the ‘new version’ of the act isn’t good. He might have just meant it was a mistake because he wanted them to repeat what they did at their audition and he think that’s good.

The return of Al Harris.

I’m starting to get it, he’s supposed to be bad. I rewatched his audition, and this time around I actually somewhat enjoyed it. It’s funny in a weird way. He still should have been buzzed out, he’s not a winning act for the show, but it wasn’t the O.o moment it was before.
And I loved how he kept interrupting Nick from going to commercial, it was like how he ignored the X’s the first time he was on. :P
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Who went through? I missed the results show. And that Al Harris is the most ANNOYING person I've seen in a long time. >_>
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

let's see.... uh I know taylor williamson went through.... and jimmy rose.... and that cece singer or something like that.... and timber
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah