America's Got Talent (Season 8)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

He did more than just one kind of trick. The mind reading ones were similar (though there were two kinds of those, so that’s different already), but don’t forget about making objects disappear and then reappear in impossible locations. He didn’t change things up too much on the show, but I don’t think it’s fair to conclude from that it’s all he knows. He likely stuck with those kinds of tricks because they continued to impress people. If he put a whole show together I’m sure he would have plenty of variety.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Ok, perhaps it was unfair to say he only knows one trick. I will admit, I would love to see how he'd put an entire show together. He has enough charisma and charm to really go quite far, even if he didn't switch up his tricks.
However, I would like to see how he'd fair on Penn and Teller's "Fool Us" (I think it only ran for one season, in the UK, but it was quite fun. Check it out when you get the chance).
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

And lastly I have to do a post on the kids because aside from the sibling rivalry intrigue they brought to the season they are seriously the best dancers I’ve ever seen. The young ones are beyond amazing for their age, and the older ones dance better than adults I’ve seen. It’s absolutely incredible to watch. Also, it was funny how they continued a thread running for three straight years now, through Miami All Stars from Season 6 and The Untouchables from Season 7.

~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

They were absolutely incredible, and I think the only reason D'Angelo and Amanda didn't go farther than they did is because (like Howie kept mentioning), this seasons talent was simply off the charts.
I think they'd have more success (and have many more followers) on something like "So you think you can Dance," or something of the like.
I must say, though, their Quarter Final performance was absolutely INSANE. I have never seen that much intensity portrayed through a dance...
And the way she handled that skirt/cape was quite impressive.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:I think they'd have more success (and have many more followers) on something like "So you think you can Dance," or something of the like.
They apparently have been on an exclusively dancing show before, and actually won.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:I think they'd have more success (and have many more followers) on something like "So you think you can Dance," or something of the like.
They apparently have been on an exclusively dancing show before, and actually won.
I'm not surprised in the least.
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What are your retrospective thoughts on the season, snubs? I know you weren’t very pleased while it was airing, but did you come around in the end once everything sorted out?

Because I was kind of like you at first. In the middle of everything there were various times I wasn’t sure about things, but in hindsight I think as a whole it all worked out.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Eh. it was all right. Still not the best year of talent. But it did have pretty good variety. Not sure I was/am satisfied or not. *shurgs*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Hey, I just realized that I’ve seen Lela from 2Unique before. She was in Ark Music Factory’s Friday sequel!

That makes the third contestant this season to have been previously known before being on the show.
Marty Brown and Branden James are apparently both actually professional singers that have sold albums and everything.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

See, I don't like that... I thought the whole point of the show was to find *new* talent, not make "old talent" more popular... :P
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Agreed. I don’t mind for Lela, because she’s just a kid and Ark isn’t exactly big fame, but for the actual professionals it feels really wrong. Especially Marty. We were led to believe, whether intentionally or not, that he had never been a ‘real’ singer because his wife tricked him into auditioning, remember. But I guess what actually happened was not that she pushed him to break out and sing in public, but to come out of retirement and sing again, or something like that.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Yeah, I mean, there's a big difference between singing in front of a microphone, and singing in front of a crowd of thousands...
They/Them