America's Got Talent (Season 8)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I missed the results show.
You can watch it on Hulu.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:I missed the results show.
You can watch it on Hulu.
Oh, really? that's cool. I usually come in at the last 15-20 minutes of the show...because they take FOREVER to reveal the results.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

It is also on nbc.com
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:And that Al Harris is the most ANNOYING person I've seen in a long time. >_>
I think he’s actually kind of sweet. He’s an old guy that just wants to make people laugh.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

*posts for bookie*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So Rong is out of the whole thing now? That’s really too bad, I was looking forward to seeing how she could possibly make her act any more difficult.

Man, again Howie with his nonsense. “They don’t have to be a Vegas act. We’re not looking for someone who’s going to headline - they will end up headlining in Vegas - but that’s not the criteria, they just have to be talented.” Yes, again, talented enough to headline in Vegas. Come on Howie, just think about what you’re saying. ‘The criteria isn’t to find someone able to do what they’re going to end up having to do.’ >_>

I’ve wondered before how they decide to break the acts up into who performs what night. I thought it must be random, but what are the chances the dancing siblings would end up going directly against each other on the same show?

And speaking of the siblings, gosh can D'Angelo and Amanda dance! At first I didn’t take them seriously because there were too many side stories going on that distracted me. The third year in a row the Miami All Stars/Untouchables thread runs through, the brother and sister battle, etc. But now I’m seeing them as a genuine act, and I am liking what I’m seeing.
They are so incredibly skilled for their ages! Seriously, one of my favorite dance acts ever. And I’m not usually a fan of dance acts. The younger ones are extremely talented too, they both dance their respective styles perfectly, but the older ones are, naturally, more polished because of their extra experience.

Sprice doesn’t belong here. Again, yes a talent, definitely impressive, but wrong for the show. Actually, no. Right for the show, because it’s the only place you could see this; wrong for the competition.

I liked Catapult again. This was a similar story to one told in a Silhouettes performance, but it still seemed fresh.

The acts I would put through:
Duo Resonance
D'Angelo and Amanda
John Wing
Catapult Entertainment

-- 23 Aug 2013 02:36 pm --

The Semifinals begin next week? No YouTube acts this season?

It was cool to see Tom Cotter back.

Do the Wild Cards usually get inserted right into the Semifinal? I thought they used to have their own show to decide which would get there. Of course, there used to be a lot more of them. With just one per judge this season that’s not enough for a separate round. And it’s weird that they’re split between the Semifinal shows, does that mean the guys can use theirs on someone who is voted out of the first Semifinal and bring them right back again in the second? It’s just weird.

And oh my gosh, I can’t even process what I just heard. Mel... just... ](*,)
It didn’t come as a surprise, I had a gut feeling someone was going to do it, but it still came as a shock to see it actually happen. What in the wordsfailme world was she thinking?! Oh yeah, she wasn’t. Only explanation. There’s no way she can even remotely think that was a good move if she actually gives it so much as an iota of contemplation.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:And oh my gosh, I can’t even process what I just heard. Mel... just... ](*,)
It didn’t come as a surprise, I had a gut feeling someone was going to do it, but it still came as a shock to see it actually happen. What in the wordsfailme world was she thinking?! Oh yeah, she wasn’t. Only explanation. There’s no way she can even remotely think that was a good move if she actually gives it so much as an iota of contemplation.
I know! :x They are just going to get voted off again. I'm telling you, I've about had with AGT.

I like D'Angelo and Amanda as well, they are really good.

Tell me who went through other than Catapult?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:Tell me who went through other than Catapult?
D'Angelo and Amanda, John Wing, and Dave Fenley.
snubs wrote:I usually come in at the last 15-20 minutes of the show...because the take FOREVER to reveal the results.
I know. Mostly it’s just filler, but sometimes there are some good bits. For instance I really like how this year they always do a featurette on the results shows of behind the scenes stuff from the previous night and extended reactions to the performances.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:Tell me who went through other than Catapult?
D'Angelo and Amanda, John Wing, and Dave Fenley.
Hm, I guess I'm okay with those results.
bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:I usually come in at the last 15-20 minutes of the show...because the take FOREVER to reveal the results.
I know. Mostly it’s just filler, but sometimes there are some good bits. For instance I really like how this year they always do a featurette on the results shows of behind the scenes stuff from the previous night and extended reactions to the performances.
Yeah, I like that as well.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Interesting situation with the KriStef Brothers injury. First, that’s terrible and I hope he recovers.

So Rong was Howie’s Wild Card, meaning she would have been put in the next Semifinal, I think, but because of the injury she was put in this one as a replacement. I’m really glad because it wasn’t fair that she lost by default by not being able to perform in the Quarterfinals. But by the same token, with that precedent set, it’s not fair that the KriStef brothers get to just move to the next show, if they can’t perform they should be out too, right?
Maybe it’s because there is another show to move them to, so they get put in Semifinal 2 instead of Semifinal 1, where as Rong was supposed to be in the last Quarterfinal so there wasn’t a next show to move to. But that’s still not fair, because if that’s how they’re playing it then if she had been in one of the earlier ones she could have gotten the second chance. It’s all just strange.
I guess the way it worked out there’s no harm done, everyone is getting their chance after all. Except that this way, Rong has absolutely no time to prepare her act which she would have if she was brought in for the next show like a normal second night Wild Card.

It’s weird that six acts go through now, that means half the lineup is going to the Final. It seems like this round should be more selective, not less. I liked when they used to have a Top 10 round between the Semifinal and Final, it was a good last weeding stage. Now, it’s an awkward jump from 'figure out who should move on' to suddenly 'this is it already, pick a winner out'.

I cannot figure this Tone thing out. His act is the complete opposite of everything they’ve ever stood behind before. They tell every act ‘You have to keep changing it up, keep coming back different and better’ but they beg this one ‘Stay exactly the same!’ It’s so hypocritical, on so many levels. Not just because they’re changing the standard for him, but because the standard they gave him and insist he sticks to is one that can’t advance! He isn’t an act people support, and they forbid him from even attempting to change that. He is an intentional waste of a spot!

Ah, now we know how Rong does that: she’s Wonder Woman!

Because seriously, this is not possible.

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe this.
Mel, on Rong’s act: “I felt like I’ve seen it before.”
Mel, just 10 minutes previous, on Tone’s act: “That was off the chain I loved it!”
There is not a headdesk big enough to adequately display the fail here. Just take your pick, any way you dissect it the hypocrisy and/or irony/stupidity is suffocating.
As Howard said, Rong’s act is, by design and necessity, the same thing each time. But as I’ve said before, being the same is not the same thing as being repetitive. Each and every time Rong’s act puts you on the very edge of your seat; you know what she’s going to do, but never how it’s going to go.
So while this act is the same, Tone’s is identical. And she praises him for that! This is beyond a double standard, it’s insanity!
I can’t even keep writing about this, I’ll implode from the sheer... ludicrous absurdity! There’s more I was going to say, but I’m sure you get my point so I don’t have to.

Wait, did Howie just say they’re ‘three away’ from a winner? Did they change the format again?
*looks it up*
Okay, so after this there’s a Top 12 show before the Final. I like that, it’s a good compromise between the Season 6 and 7 formats.

Definitely Jonathan’s weakest performance so far. Usually this would be the end for an act, but the combination of so many acts being put through tonight and so little strong competition this show, plus the fact that he has blind support because of his story, and he might get lucky. It will be very interesting to see what happens here.

This performance really set Catapult apart from Silhouettes for the first substantial time.

Silhouettes always stuck to their own bodies to make nearly all the shapes and kept the story small and focused. Tonight Catapult brought in several props, and expanded the story. It was a risk, as the guy said in the package, and I think they could have used some more time to work on it, because the larger scope was a good idea, but this performance of it felt like it was almost at an unmanageable scale.
I still liked it though, and one less-amazing performance shouldn’t doom a group like this. Their incredible diversity actually shows through all the more when this happens, because the fact that they have an uncharacteristic off performance reinforces how they’re capable of completely changing everything up.
And I disagree with Howard, the story was clear, it just wasn’t handled as well as it could have been.
Edit: Maybe it wasn’t all their fault after all, in the followup on the next show they said there was a problem with the rigging that threw them off, so they were indeed rushing to stay on cue. That was what gave the performance a strange feeling.

The acts I would put through:
Angela Hoover
Collins Key
Innovative Force
Taylor Williamson
Catapult Entertainment
Forte

-- 30 Aug 2013 12:14 pm --

I’m really disappointed Angela didn’t make it. I think Howard put too much focus on her material. It’s true it wasn’t as strong as it could have been, but that’s only part of the act, the real point of it is the impressions which are all flawless.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

With the KriStef brothers, I think they meant that they will be allowed to perform at the next semi final (this coming week), providing he has recovered sufficiently.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:With the KriStef brothers, I think they meant that they will be allowed to perform at the next semi final (this coming week), providing he has recovered sufficiently.
I know, that’s my point. They couldn’t perform, so they said ‘You can just go on later.’ Rong couldn’t perform, so they said ‘Sorry, you’re out.’
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:With the KriStef brothers, I think they meant that they will be allowed to perform at the next semi final (this coming week), providing he has recovered sufficiently.
I know, that’s my point. They couldn’t perform, so they said ‘You can just go on later.’ Rong couldn’t perform, so they said ‘Sorry, you’re out.’
it's not fair. and I agree with you, bookworm, about the judges and how they comment sometimes.

I miss the days of Piers, Sharon and Howie

Till the end of the line.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

Rong dropped out of the competition due to family issues and someone replaced her. Howie wanted to see her again so he gave her another chance. The Kristef Brothers did not drop out.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

manfrednissley wrote:Rong dropped out of the competition due to family issues and someone replaced her. Howie wanted to see her again so he gave her another chance. The Kristef Brothers did not drop out.
It was my understanding that she was unable to perform on that particular show, because of a family issue, not that she withdrew entirely. But if so, then it makes much more sense.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

http://agt.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Panda

Melody Caballero replaced her.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m going to miss the next couple weeks (I think through the end) so I’ll have to catch up online when I get back.
Go ahead and keep posting if you want (if you were worried about spoilers) I won’t read anything from this post on until I watch the shows and make my posts. Or you can just hold your thoughts until I’m back and continue in step, whatever you want to do! :)
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

bookworm wrote:I’m going to miss the next couple weeks (I think through the end) so I’ll have to catch up online when I get back.
Go ahead and keep posting if you want (if you were worried about spoilers) I won’t read anything from this post on until I watch the shows and make my posts. Or you can just hold your thoughts until I’m back and continue in step, whatever you want to do! :)
A shocking moment occurs. Right up there with Miley Cyrus twerking. :shame:

-- Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:10 pm --

Wait, Brandon James was already a well-known star! FAIL!!! Glad he got voted off.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I'll tell you right now, if Taylor Williamson wins, I will be profoundly upset.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Hope either Kenichi Ebina or Cami Bradley wins....or Collins Key (though I don't really care for him..he is not all that great). I also don't really want a singer to win, but if one does, Cami definitely deserves to win.