America's Got Talent (Season 8)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To follow up on a discussion from this thread:
Joy wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:
gunblader3 wrote:But of course we all know that yet another singer is going to win this years America's got talent. After all, we Americans love singers above all other talents.
Something I've noticed about Brittain's got Talent, is that they tend to enjoy dancers, much in the same way Americans enjoy singers (correct me if I'm wrong about that).
My brother says the same thing. And he tends to like the dancers. I don't really watch many talent shows like that, besides BGT. Which I really didn't like the winner for this year. A dancing dog won, instead of a really good pair of singers!
Shennifer wrote:Joy: I get what you're saying, but I think people wanted something original to win, instead of just singers or dancers (which have won the previous seasons)
The reason I personally get annoyed when singers win isn’t because I’m against them, it’s just because of the kind of show this is. There are so many other shows specifically and exclusively for singers that it seems like a waste to me to have them in this one too. Yes it’s a talent, but this show is the only one where you can see more than signing, so when it’s overtaken by just more singers it’s disappointing to me.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I agree, bookie. *nods*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have never seen anything like this guy, he is absolutely amazing! Very possibly my favorite dancer ever on the show!

This act is like The Kinetic King. It obviously takes skill to do and is impressive to watch, but because of the extremely long setup time to short performance time it isn’t a show. It will be interesting to see how far he goes.

I was blown away by this performance; it doesn’t seem possible! Forget about the bowl stuff, just balancing on the unicycle with only one leg first of all! And then add in somehow balancing all the bowls on your leg, and then throwing them up in the air, somehow getting them to all flip to the same direction, even though they started in different orientations, and then catching them all in the other bowl, which by the way has been balanced on your head the whole time! Unbelievable!

~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

We've got another gay opera singer... Don't get me wrong, they're both good, but all the sob stories (and stereotypes) are beginning to get on my nerves.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

~JCGJ~ wrote:We've got another gay opera singer... Don't get me wrong, they're both good, but all the sob stories (and stereotypes) are beginning to get on my nerves.
Yeah, it's like they are trying to promote it or something. :-k

[/sarcasm]
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Some pretty impressive rope jumping, especially when that one kid did a flip while jumping two at a time.

The dancing dog was very cool. Obviously not on the level of Olate Dogs, but still extremely impressive and heartwarming to watch.

What in the world happened here? xD

There’s an audience video of the full incident.

This kid was very fun to watch.

~JCGJ~ wrote:We've got another gay opera singer... Don't get me wrong, they're both good, but all the sob stories (and stereotypes) are beginning to get on my nerves.
Yeah, the one from a few shows ago annoyed me when so much focus was put on that, but I can understand why they did it. They always love a stand against hardship story of an act. I hate that, it biases the judges and audience, but whatever.
But for this one, there was no real need to bring it up it was clearly done just to force sympathy support.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The dog act was lame and boring, and shouldn't have gone through. I see that act getting kicked out quickly.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

Dunno if yal realize that you can watch full episodes of AGT on NBC. http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/

(fyi, if you use something called ad-block plus, you will not be bothered by the ads on NBC!)

Also

This is the official Youtube channel for AGT. They have every performance for the past few years! http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanBestTalent
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:The dog act was lame and boring, and shouldn't have gone through. I see that act getting kicked out quickly.
Seriously? :-s
It’s nowhere near a full show, there’s no way it will win, but it definitely deserved to go through at least one round! Can your dog do any of that?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:The dog act was lame and boring, and shouldn't have gone through. I see that act getting kicked out quickly.
Seriously? :-s
It’s nowhere near a full show, there’s no way it will win, but it definitely deserved to go through at least one round! Can your dog do any of that?
Look, I don't care about them being able to make it through 'one' round. I care about the act having great potential to win the show. And that act did not. In fact, they let through a lot of lame acts that question, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?" I just hope this season isn't like last year...the talent was lacking..a lot last season. =|
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Okay I see now, but I think you’re being too critical too quickly. Starting in Vegas, yes every act needs to be assessed in the big picture of ‘could this go all the way?’ and you are correct, many they sent through cannot. (Though I doubt that will cross the judges’ minds; Piers was the only one who actually remembered there was a big picture here.) But for the auditions, I think it’s fine to go on a ‘one more try’ basis, because you haven’t started weeding the talent yet. If it’s a good enough act to make you take notice here, go ahead and give them one more performance to turn it up. If they don’t, you drop them next round when things start getting serious.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

At the auditions, they can let in anyone they like. They can say "yes" at that point, which I think can lead to hasty decisions. But from that point onward, they have to narrow it down. Therefore, the acts that don't show progress and show how their act can be expanded are the ones that do (and should) get eliminated.
I will say this though: sometimes the judges forget about the big picture and let in acts that are more entertaining in the moment than really substantial acts that have a better chance of winning. I understand wanting to see if an act can improve. I sometimes have come up with ideas for different acts and how they could improve, but unfortunately they don't always.

Also, I think the judges put through some acts that are only there to shock or get a laugh from the audience, and not the ones that are truly talented. I dislike that sometimes they go for the crazy or the fleeting rather than the acts that really could win.

Till the end of the line.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

bookworm wrote:
Yeah, the one from a few shows ago annoyed me when so much focus was put on that, but I can understand why they did it. They always love a stand against hardship story of an act. I hate that, it biases the judges and audience, but whatever.
But for this one, there was no real need to bring it up it was clearly done just to force sympathy support.
That's why I think they should watch the audition, vote on the performance, and then do the whole interview thing.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:That's why I think they should watch the audition, vote on the performance, and then do the whole interview thing.
But even then, it would bias people for the next performance.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

Everyone is excited about the Dog act because a dog won Briton's got talent this year. There is one glaring difference between the shows. AGT's winner will need to fill an entire hour in Vegas. BGT's winner only needs to perform for the queen at the Royal variety show. I kinda doubt the lady juggler can make it.

-- Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 am --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqx9_qXSYkU

Skilyr Hicks was awesome!

-- Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 am --

Milton Palton was really good as well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9RHhomfSxc
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

manfrednissley wrote:Everyone is excited about the Dog act because a dog won Briton's got talent this year.
That was last year actually, when a dog act also won this show. This year, a shadow troupe won BGT.

-- 13 Jul 2013 01:39 pm --

Ah, it would figure that right after I give my take on ‘one more chance’ it’s used against me.
Howie convinced them to put Tummy Talk through because although everyone agreed they weren’t a winning act, he said they were ‘worth seeing one more time.’ This is an abuse of the ‘one more time’ mentality. >_> You put a less-than-amazing act through one more time when there is a clear opportunity for them to turn things up and come back better than before in that one more time. This act has no future, it is a waste of time and space to give them one more performance because there will be no improvement.

I have no idea what this is, but I think I liked it.

I’m amazed (but pleased) they didn’t send Captain Explosion through, it seemed like exactly the kind of act they get mesmerized by in the short term and move along.

What... was this?

The audience was yelling for X’s, then became outraged when they voted no? :?
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I have enjoyed this season. Some are good, some ok, some bad. Some are weird.

I like Chloe Channell because she is from Pensacola, near where I used to live. Skylar, whos dad died, is good as well. Some kid dancers are good and I like the competing brother and sister, and the act where the girl is the boss.

Chloe

-------

The throwing plunger guy, burping hula hoop girl, and others are strange acts.

----------
What... was this?
That went on WAYYY too long. He had all X's and Howie mashed them again but he kept on. Maybe the audience liked him more after a while and thought he got funnier. What... was this?

--------
We've got another gay opera singer... Don't get me wrong, they're both good, but all the sob stories (and stereotypes) are beginning to get on my nerves.

Was that the young man who was kicked out of his house on his 18th birthday ?? It seemed he said all that to get sympathy from the audience and the judges .

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It was great to hear Heidi acknowledge that there were some acts that she put through “in the moment” and now realizes they aren’t at the right level. That’s due to her being new and not always realizing the big picture, but she gets it now.

I thought Howard was being hyper critical in the weeding phase. He had the right idea, if there’s someone who you already know can’t make it don’t waste time on another performance, but that doesn’t apply to all types of acts equally. I was especially irritated when he didn’t want to give that impressionist a Vegas performance because her “material was weak” in the audition. Maybe it was, but her impressions were spot on. That is exactly the type of act you give a Vegas round chance to come back better and reevaluate.

They’re pushing the gay story again, right off the bat. What a surprise. We definitely need reminded about that every time we see him so if we ever start to think ‘He’s not really that great’ we then think ‘Oh, but he has a sob story. Never mind.’
I liked that in the argument montage Howard said “Are we voting for a story or for an act?” I don’t know if it was in reference to that particular guy, but it doesn’t matter, you need to ask that for every act. Story has no place in a talent competition.

How in the world did they reach the decision to send Sprice and the ‘one hit wonder’ guy straight through?! Those were both acts that should have been sent straight home! Or at the most given one more performance to check out, before realizing they need sent home. They are not winning acts.

And Tummy Talk too?! What is going on here?! When Howie said one more time, that meant in Vegas! :x

Oh my word, they have some insane people on this season! I had to watch about half of the danger category acts through my fingers. Image

Rong’s act is a tough one for me, because as much as it still blows me away - now more than ever since she’s added an impossible number of bowls - I don’t know if she can become a winning act. Meaning a full show.

She keeps turning it up, but in a different way than an act needs to. It’s always better, but always the same. The change is in difficulty. But then again, if she does get to the point of having to put a full show together, I’m sure it wouldn’t be just her up there, there would be side attractions as backup. After all, the act is from a Chinese acrobatic show; she could add in the rest of the troupe if she needs to. So I think although the central act may not be substantial on its own, it does have the makings of a full show if she keeps going.

And I don’t think it hurt her performance at all that she missed one of the kicks. First, it was probably because of her bad back. But even if not, you cannot expect this act to go 100% right every time, even if done by a professional. It’s ridiculously difficult. Like they’ve said with BMX acts in the past, it actually helps the act to mess up on occasion, because it reinforces how crazy it is that you get it right at all. I’m very glad the judges saw it the same way.

Dylan was fun again. He moves so smoothly.

I’m really surprised he didn’t go on. I think he might be a Wild Card.

More mind reading. This one scared me.

Now that everyone’s through and the winner is in there somewhere, I have to say there isn’t a particular act that immediately stands out to me as one that is sure to go far this year. It will be very interesting to see how everything plays out.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

My siblings and I were enraged at the acts they put through...some of them even STRAIGHT THROUGH. *head desk* I am really beginning to hate this show. >_>
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s not the show, it’s the judges.