Community

Six seasons and a movie!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
No way I broke the window

Community

Post by 31899 »

Community is one of my favourite television shows ever (it almost rivals Voyager and DS9). For those unfamiliar, Community is a situational comedy that does not use a laugh track [win], and is exceedingly post-modern. These factors ,plus the interesting but slightly archetypical characters which take part in a study group at a community college, create a show unlike any other of which I know. Many other factor contribute to my enjoyment of this show, but I do not wish to bore you. Does anyone else watch Community? Who is excited for season five?
Last edited by 31899 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Community is the greatest. I'm hoping that with the return of Harmon, it gets better, as season 4 really disappointed me. But I'm glad to have it back, regardless of the circumstances!
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*

Post by 31899 »

Season four was very disappointing, it will be interesting to see how they deal with the departure of two main actors. I really hope we get to see a bit more of the secondary characters.
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

I feel like they won't even acknowledge Pierce, given Chase's history with the show and Harmon. But dealing with Troy is going to be a puzzle. I'm hoping for more Leonard and Starburns, personally.

Post by 31899 »

I think they will acknowledge Pierce.... in the form of him dying.

I would like to see more Rachel and Abed, but more so I would like to see the strengthening of Britta's character. Seriously, what's with the extrema flanderisation?
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Yeah...Britta's a character that just yo-yos. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to her, now that Harmon's back.

Apparently, he's going to be focusing more on Shirley, which I'm really excited about. She's way underrated.

Post by 31899 »

I have conflicting feelings about Shirley. Half the time she is amazing and bad-bottom, but the other half of the time I just cringe.

I'm hoping for a good (as in not reboot), Star Trek themed episode.
mydoghasfleas
Processing
Location: im all in your head....heh.heh.heh, okay, fine FDL ,WI

Post by mydoghasfleas »

Well I guess this thread died! What did everyone think of Season 5? I thought it was streets ahead of season 4. Words cannot describe how heartbroken I was when the show was cancelled. But here's hope for Hulu. I feel the show deserves it. Although I wish we could get Troy and Pierce back. If not for the possible 6th season at least for the movie!!!
your mom's so old when you tell her to act her age,

she turns to dust.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I watched the first two seasons of Community back when it first aired then lost track of it. It's on Hulu, so I recently rewatched the first two seasons and am on #3.

I. Love. This. Show. It really is one of my favorite quirky TV shows. Up there with 30 Rock, really.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I love it too. Community and Parks and Recreation are my two favorite comedies on TV right now, and both I didn't like when I initially started watching them. I think Community was at it's best in season 3, though season 5 had some brilliant moments. It's so sad that it was cancelled, but I'm still hoping Hulu can bring it back.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I have started watching this show. I'm on Season 2 right now. Just started Season 3.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

So I watched this show back in high school and I started watching it again today. I forgot how much I love this show!

The characters are incredibly likeable and funny to watch. :lol: The situations have some awkwardness but not to much to make me uncomfortable. \:D/ It is also a great show about the value of friendship and hard work. It does go off the rails after season 4 but the first few seasons are fantastic!

I attended a community college for two years so this show is super relatable. It is a little overblown but some of the episodes I have definitely seen play out in real life! :rofl2:

I love this show and I will hopefully post more after I watch a few more episodes!
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was thinking about Community the other day because (I don't think this counts as a spoiler) I loved seeing Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) in Avengers: Endgame. The Russo brothers were involved with the show and I like the Community cameos in several of the Marvel movies they've directed.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Yes! I noticed that as well. I was freaking out in the theater but no one I was watching with would have understood my fascination. ](*,) I think that is one of the reasons I started watching it again! \:D/
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, fun! I immediately started poking my brother's arm, since we used to watch Community together and were at Endgame together. The most exciting cameo for me was in Cap 2 because it was so totally unexpected - suddenly, there was Abed, helping Cap save the day! (Kind of.) ;) Plus the Dean basically playing the Dean in Civil War was awesome! Talk about perfect casting.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I know! I just read an article about this because was curious. Apparently, there are a lot of cameos from Community in the Avengers movies. Like you mentioned, Abed in Winter Soldier, the Dean in Civil War, Shirley, in Endgame. Also Senor Chang was in Endgame! He plays the security guard that first notices Ant-Man. Also, Donald Glover shows up in Spider-Man: Homecoming! I didn't know this before, but the Russo brothers, who directed Endgame, Winter Soldier, and several other Marvel movies, were the producers and directors of Community! That is why so many cameos of Community characters show up.

Several non-major characters from Community also show up throughout the Marvel universe. Aaron Himelstein(plays Jeremy Simmons in "Debate 109") is in Winter Soldier. Brie Larson(Captain Marvel) plays Abed's girlfriend in a few episodes. There are several others as well. I love seeing actors I know from shows in main stream films! It is a special experience.
My online family
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, lots of Arrested Development cameos in Russo Brothers directed Marvel films as well. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jehoshaphat wrote:I know! I just read an article about this because was curious. Apparently, there are a lot of cameos from Community in the Avengers movies. Like you mentioned, Abed in Winter Soldier, the Dean in Civil War, Shirley, in Endgame. Also Senor Chang was in Endgame! He plays the security guard that first notices Ant-Man. Also, Donald Glover shows up in Spider-Man: Homecoming! I didn't know this before, but the Russo brothers, who directed Endgame, Winter Soldier, and several other Marvel movies, were the producers and directors of Community! That is why so many cameos of Community characters show up.

Several non-major characters from Community also show up throughout the Marvel universe. Aaron Himelstein(plays Jeremy Simmons in "Debate 109") is in Winter Soldier. Brie Larson(Captain Marvel) plays Abed's girlfriend in a few episodes. There are several others as well. I love seeing actors I know from shows in main stream films! It is a special experience.
I knew why there were Community cameos, but I missed Chang as the security guard! I'll look for him when I go see Endgame again. I don't really count Donald Glover as a cameo because it's a bigger part but you're right that it's another connection. I knew about the Debate guy, but not Brie Larson. I guess I didn't recognize her as the same person.
The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah, lots of Arrested Development cameos in Russo Brothers directed Marvel films as well. \:D/
I still haven't been able to catch the stair car in real time in Civil War. :(
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It took me quite a few times to see it as well. :(

Also Tobias as a Blue Man is in the Collector's collection somewhere (not portrayed by David Cross, but still).