ULTIMATE TREK SHOWDOWN

The best incarnation of Trek?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

Which is best Star Trek series??

Star Trek: The Original Series
22%
Star Trek: The Next Generation
22%
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
44%
Star Trek: Voyager
11%
Star Trek: Enterprise (yuck!)
No votes

Total votes: 9

AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

ULTIMATE TREK SHOWDOWN

Post by AIO Psyche »

Deep Space Nine was darker, more complex, more political, and more character focused than past Trek series. Plus you've got Odo and Quark, two of the best written characters in television history.

The first two seasons are a bit of a yawn, I'll be honest. But if you start with the season 2 finale and go from there, buckle up for an amazing ride. It's deep continuity was one of the show's hallmarks. Instead of TNG's story-of-the-week style, DS9 was allowed to continue events in timeline that was constantly informing the next episode. It meant that characters learned from the mistakes and successes from their past, and therefore you got to watch these characters grow and mature in a sort of evolution.

Fully formed characters, complex story lines, The Dominion War, Section 31, heavy focus on interstellar politics, and very gifted actors (save for Sisko until about season 3) make this version of Trek my favorite version.

TNG is the best Trek series, but DS9 is my favorite. The honor of favor Trek series fell to Voyager until I rediscovered DS9 on Netflix earlier this year. Having seen the series all the way through, it's easily my favorite.

How about you guys?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Deep Space Nine is by far the best of them. Especially the later seasons. However, Babylon 5 is everything good about DS9 done better. Without all the Star Trek problems. Thus making Star Trek drop down pretty far on my Sci Fi list.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Scribbler
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Post by The Scribbler »

You have no taste in science fiction whatsoever.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I don't think I have ever felt more abused after finishing a television series than after finishing DS9; however, I grew up watching Voyageur so it has a special place in my heart.

I think one of my favourite things about DS9 is the science officers and their relationship. In my opinion they have some of the best interactions and one of the best friendships ever displayed on television. The way both Dax and Bashir are written make them the most "human" characters on the show.
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

Star Trek: Enterprise, yuck!? I'm not sure what the best way to kill you is... boil in oil maybe? But seriously, though. Don't mess with my love of enterprise. I love Enterprise because it addressed the things we knew nothing about: the early years of human interaction with vulcans, the forming of the Federation, the early years of warp flight, etc... I only like the original series better than it, and that's because of emotional reasons.
I honestly do not understand how people like Next Generation and Depp Space Nine. I like all the other incarnations except for those two. I realize that everyone regards NG as the best series, but a) it doesn't hold any place in my heat, as I did not grow up with it unlike the other series, and b) I don't like any of the main characters. Deep Space 9 I've seen like one episode of and hated it. 'nuff said.
I liked voyager, the early years. As the show went on it became to character-driven and Lt. Paris and Belonna (sp?) really annoy me.
Also, KF, you are dead to me.
(I know this is a bump, and a kind of random topic for one who has not posted in forever. That being said, I don't think any self-respecting Trekkie can glance over a thread about Star Trek without commenting.)
Last edited by Mark Prescott on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Mark Prescott~