Frozen

Because I'm fangirling too much in real life

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Frozen

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Y'all don't know the self-restraint I had to maintain not to make this topic in August.

Disney's newest princess movie, Frozen, is a loose adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen"--and by loose I mean the only common threads are "royal figure is involved with a curse and there's snow". ;) The two central figures are sisters named Anna and Elsa. Elsa has magic ice powers that she hides from everyone, including Anna, for their own safety. She shuts everyone out, to Anna's bewilderment, until the day of her coronation to become Queen of Arendelle, where a confrontation with an unwitting Anna causes her to reveal her ice powers to the kingdom. She immediately flees and the kingdom is plunged into an eternal winter, but Anna, out of loyalty to her, gives chase. She pursues her through the mountains, assisted by Kristoff and his pet reindeer Sven, as well as a goofy, anthropomorphic snowman named Olaf.

So who's excited for this movie? \:D/ I'm definitely going to see it. It looks so good! Especially with Idina Menzel as Elsa.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

O.o That is quite a loose adaption. I haven't really seen many Disney princess movies that I can think of, but this sounds even looser than most. I don't plan on seeing it.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The preview is SO CUTE. My inner child is breaking through about this one. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I don't think I've heard the original story.

anyway, it certainly looks interesting :)

Till the end of the line.
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

I might see it on dvd, it looks ok
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I will certainly see it, but it looks like an interesting movie. The story plot is very intriguing.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I'm definitely excited to see Frozen :D I love the classic Disney musical, and this looks like a good one! All the clips and song snippets I've heard have left me eagerly anticipating it's release.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I'm really excited to see Frozen. After Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph turned out so well (i.e., made me want to cry my eyes out), I'm eager to see what Disney has churned out this time. :yes:
TigerintheShadows

I just saw the movie, you guys, and OH. MY. GOSH.

It has got to be one of the best Disney movies. Ever. It was totally worth my hyping it up over the past few months. It subverts quite a few of the old tropes, all of the characters have depth, the animation is wonderful, and the MUSIC. IS. GORGEOUS. Idina Menzel as Elsa was the best choice they could have ever made.

//excuse me while i go and draw //and fangirl //mostly fangirl
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Now I reeeeeally can't wait to see this. PluggedIn's review was very favorable. So I'm really anticipating liking this as much as I did Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm happy to hear that it was so good! This just moved up my "to see" list! \:D/ It can be hard to coordinate schedules between me and the friend that I know would also want to see this movie, but we'll have to make it work.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So good!

I was actually pretty anxious, hoping at best for another Tangled. But it's totally magical in its own right, and dare I say it's Disney's most enchanting production since Beauty and the Beast? If not, it's certainly its most self-aware.

Everyone should go see it.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
TigerintheShadows

YOU GUYS.

JELLY JUST GAVE A GOOD REVIEW TO A DISNEY MOVIE.

THAT WASN'T BRAVE.

The BatB comparison was made by quite a few people, including (I think) Disney themselves. What I like about this movie is that it's not really about "true love" and yet it is about "true love"--it's about how true love is more than just guy-girl romance. True love also includes love between friends, between siblings, or between parents and children. It's like Disney has realized what it, and by extension entertainment in general, has done to some people's perception of love and have decided to do something different. And I love Disney movies about romance and all, but it's good to see a movie that can involve romance that does not ignore the other relationships that the two characters have in favor of showing how "in love" they are.
AIO tumblr sideblog
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Haha. I'd actually still draw more similarities to Brave than to Beauty and the Beast though. ;) Both were written by a female, and like you pointed out, both eschewed the typical prince charming romance and instead found 'true love' in a familial context. But Brave was technically Pixar, so.. sigh.

What I also liked about it was how complex it was. Has any other princess movie ever had that many characters? It was still predictable at all the right times, but it was thoroughly interesting from beginning to end. And oh, so beautiful.

I wrote an entire essay if anyone wants to read it. ;)
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I want to read it!

So... I'm going to start out by saying that this movie was absolutely amazing. And you wanna know why? Because it was no Disney movie. It was a Pixar movie. Take a guess at who the executive producer was. That's right, John Lasseter, the Pixar guy himself. I looked it up, and you wanna guess what other Disney movies he's executive produced? Bolt, Tangled, and Wreck-It Ralph. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

But enough about that. This movie, much like Monsters U, had a pivotal moment for me. I'll put it in a spoiler.
That scene on the ice, with the true love's kiss thing. I was >_>ing. SO Cliché. But then the unexpected happened. Anna sacrificed herself for her sister. It was beautiful. I nearly cried. And I never cry. I didn't even cry in Life Expectancy. But that scene was so moving. And it was so perfect that that would be the thing to thaw a frozen heart. The troll said an act of true love. Hate to break it to you, but a kiss ain't no act of true love. What Anna did, that was true love. "Greater love has no man than this: that he lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13(That was from memory, not exact.)

Also, the "Fixer-Upper" song. \:D/ That was great. A prince who ain't perfect. Now that's a first. ;)

"Reindeer Are Better Than People". That was great. :p

And Olaf. I expected to hate him, but I loved him. "Hey! It's Kristoff! Guess he doesn't love you enough to leave you here after all." xD
Okay, I'm done now.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
TigerintheShadows

What I thought was funny was Kristoff going "Who marries a man she just met?" while fighting off angry wolves. It was a great moment of Disney hanging lampshades on the Fourth Date Marriage trope that's been present in pretty much every Princess movie except Aladdin, Mulan, Pocahontas, and Tangled. \:D/
Also Woody, your comments on the spoiler are, for the most part, spot on and perfect. A kiss in general really isn't an "act of true love"; it can be an expression of true love, but it isn't, in my opinion, an act of true love in and of itself. I do have to disagree on whether or not, in this instance, that particular kiss would have broken the spell, simply because if Kristoff had kissed her, it would have been because he cared for her enough to sacrifice his potential discomfort at kissing a girl he hadn't known that long to protect her from being frozen solid and giving her her own life to lead, which is an act just as motivated by love (platonic or romantic) as a sacrifice for a sister.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I really enjoyed this film. One of my favorites now. I want to watch it again soon. I think Kristoff should have done more songs though.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

*grins* A whole thread to an amazing movie.

I actually cried during the Let It Go sequence. God's Girl had introduced me to this movie and Let It Go a million times before the movie, but wow, actually seeing it in the movie... I can't even tell you why. And there were so many fantastic lines throughout the movie. I took like 3 pages of notes (Yes, I take notes sometimes when I like movies *dies*)

The animation was absolutely gorgeous, Olaf was cheesy at times, but so cute. When was the last time you saw a movie where the snowman was dreaming of summer? xD "Some people are worth melting for," oh so true.

Am I allowed to be fanboyish? *grins*

TS, you should see it. It really is adorable. Not super super deep, but super super cute and an absolutely stunning movie. "I never knew winter could be so beautiful!"

And Tiger, yes, that scene was amazing. "Christopher... It's Kristoff!"

And Jelly, how could you link the video againnnnn... I have listened to Let It Go so many times. The video is absolutely fantastic for anyone who hasn't seen it, though if you haven't seen the movie, you should still see that =p

And Anna and Kristoff are adorable.
The scene right at the enddddd. "I could kiss you! I mean, I would like to, I mean, we can, I mean, can we?" (Paraphrased)
Last edited by Limerick on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I never stayed to watch it, but the Plugged In review apparently found it worth logging the after-credits scene under 'sexual content' because the snow monster puts on a tiara in jest.

..which is silly of course, but to be fair I think much of the film has pro-alternate sexuality subtext. Elsa's Let Go sequence could easily be interpreted as a coming out, an embrace of her true identity (the trolls ask is she was born with her powers or cursed, to which the answer is "born," leading her parents to hide her natural identity from others) with lyrics like "Conceal/Don't feel" being followed up by "Let it go/Can't hold me back anymore" after everyone judges and condemns her because they fear what they don't understand. Only love (yes, true love) can break past that fear and release Elsa to be who she truly is, in public, without having to alienate herself. There's all sorts of winks and nods to homosexuals and their allies. (Jonathan Groff, the voice of Kristoff, is also the first openly gay actor to voice the romantic lead in a Disney animation.)

It's basically the restless undercurrent of pop culture, so I wouldn't be surprised if the nods and winks become less subtle as time goes on. Maybe one day Disney will produce The Prince and the Prince. \:D/
Last edited by jelly on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Although films are open to interpretation, I think that's a bit of a stretch, but whatever. :p

Olaf is my soul mate. :inlove: But seriously, Frozen was incredible on so many levels. The plot twist with Hans and then the act of true love.... I didn't see either of those coming until right before they happened. I just love this movie so much. :')
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa