Frozen

Because I'm fangirling too much in real life

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I think you should see the whole thing, bookworm. Then you can see how the characters were established, and what events led to the second half and conclusion
Last edited by Shennifer on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Till the end of the line.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Jelly wrote:Hype kills things. :( that's why I'm glad I saw this early on, before everybody started talking about it.

(yeah, typical hipster thing to say)
You're not alone. The Frozen references were fine at first, especially during Snowpocalypse when we all joked about Elsa being at fault. Then preppy girls who have delusions of singing ability got ahold of "Let It Go" and it all sort of went downhill from there. :(

I can truthfully say that I was part of the Frozen fandom before there even was a Frozen fandom, so I guess that makes two hipsters in the thread. ;)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Shennifer wrote:I think you should see the whole thing, bookworm. Then you can see how the characters were established, and what events led to the second half and conclusion
To clarify, I know the whole story of the movie, I just haven’t seen the actual scenes in the first half.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

You know, I actually expected you to really enjoy Frozen, bookworm. I have no idea why lol.

It's easily one of my favorite films because of the selfless, sacrificial love constantly demonstrated by Anna. I don't think you see that type of unconditional love in very many films these days, so that's why Frozen is so moving for me. (Also, Termite and I actually resemble Elsa and Anna quite a bit, which greatly endears this movie to me because I see our sisterly bond reflected in them.)
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

I wasn't impressed with Frozen. I sat down to watch it and expected it to be good, since there was so much hype about it... But I didn't think it was that great. :S I didn't think the plot was good, I didn't think the story in itself was any good, and I didn't think the majority of the songs were very good. :/ I'm in the minority, I know, lol, I'm expecting to get a lot of flak. XD
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

This movie broke me. It might have had something to do with watching while already somewhat whacked out emotionally, but whatever the case it seriously messed me up...and I'm not sure why.

Quite honestly, if we compare Tangled (another recent Disney film) and Frozen, I feel like Tangled was, on the whole, a better film. Which is really kind of sad, because I feel like if they had polished up and clarified certain elements of the movie it had the potentially to be even better than Tangled.

That's a short version of my opinion. I went into a much longer rant on Tumblr (because that's what Tumblr is for, right?)

http://randompiratecomic.tumblr.com/pos ... u-know-for

Warning: I posted this at like... 3 in the morning. I think I've fixed several of the grammatical/spelling mistakes...but there are probably a lot more that I didn't catch...and I really don't care. \:D/
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

Pirate Oriana wrote:This movie broke me. It might have had something to do with watching while already somewhat whacked out emotionally, but whatever the case it seriously messed me up...and I'm not sure why.

Quite honestly, if we compare Tangled (another recent Disney film) and Frozen, I feel like Tangled was, on the whole, a better film. Which is really kind of sad, because I feel like if they had polished up and clarified certain elements of the movie it had the potentially to be even better than Tangled.

That's a short version of my opinion. I went into a much longer rant on Tumblr (because that's what Tumblr is for, right?)

Warning: I posted this at like... 3 in the morning. I think I've fixed several of the grammatical/spelling mistakes...but there are probably a lot more that I didn't catch...and I really don't care. \:D/
Agreed. I think Tangled hit the nail on the head far better.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Pirate Oriana wrote:This movie broke me. It might have had something to do with watching while already somewhat whacked out emotionally, but whatever the case it seriously messed me up...and I'm not sure why.

it didn't exactly break me...but I definitely got emotional in the beginning and then the climactic moments (course I knew some spoilers going in but it still affected me)
I do think in some ways Frozen could've been better. It tried to cram in a lot of story into one film when it could've taken the time to focus on Elsa especially, then maybe Anna and Kristoff bonding (there really wasn't a whole lot of calmer moments with those two). I've heard other people's thoughts on the matter and I think I agree. I also almost wish that Let It Go had happened at the end of the movie because it felt like an end moment

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Shennifer wrote:I also almost wish that Let It Go had happened at the end of the movie because it felt like an end moment.
The problem with that is that "Let It Go" really wasn't an end moment. "Let It Go" was just the beginning.

Like Wicked's "Defying Gravity", "Let It Go" is often praised for being an incredibly empowering song about refusing to allow the opinions of others to run your life, and out-of-context, they both are about that, for the most part. The only problem is that in-context, they are about characters who run away from their responsibilities and choose—very selfishly—to do whatever they want because EMPOWERMENT. But the thing is, that's not empowerment; that's running away from your problems without really facing them. That doesn't eliminate the problem; it exacerbates it. Look at one of the things Elsa says: "No right, no wrong, no rules for me/I'm free!" She's not saying "I don't need to worry so much about everyone else's excessive judgment because this is a part of me that I need to embrace"; she's saying "I can do whatever I want and I don't need anyone or anything".

Elsa is not only harming her own development by refusing to own up to who she is and what she's done; she's harming her kingdom by running away from her duties as queen—there is no way that Anna is prepared to run a kingdom, especially not with Hans at her side. Elsa is ultimately good and well-intentioned, but her choices during the first and second acts of the movie were incredibly selfish and myopic. I'm not saying that the repression forced by her well-intended-but-misguided parents wasn't responsible for this behavior; Elsa does have a reason to act the way she does. That does not change the fact that "Let It Go" centers on a very self-seeking choice, and that's not something on which you can end a movie.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

+1 Tigerintheshadows' post. \:D/ I remember being blown out of the water when I realized the big moment of self-empowerment we've come to expect from Disney just wasn't good enough this time around; that Frozen's characters were held to a higher standard of relational maturity. The main reason I like Frozen so much is because it's such a progressive stepping stone.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
Shennifer wrote:I also almost wish that Let It Go had happened at the end of the movie because it felt like an end moment.
The problem with that is that "Let It Go" really wasn't an end moment. "Let It Go" was just the beginning.

Like Wicked's "Defying Gravity", "Let It Go" is often praised for being an incredibly empowering song about refusing to allow the opinions of others to run your life, and out-of-context, they both are about that, for the most part. The only problem is that in-context, they are about characters who run away from their responsibilities and choose—very selfishly—to do whatever they want because EMPOWERMENT. But the thing is, that's not empowerment; that's running away from your problems without really facing them. That doesn't eliminate the problem; it exacerbates it. Look at one of the things Elsa says: "No right, no wrong, no rules for me/I'm free!" She's not saying "I don't need to worry so much about everyone else's excessive judgment because this is a part of me that I need to embrace"; she's saying "I can do whatever I want and I don't need anyone or anything".

Elsa is not only harming her own development by refusing to own up to who she is and what she's done; she's harming her kingdom by running away from her duties as queen—there is no way that Anna is prepared to run a kingdom, especially not with Hans at her side. Elsa is ultimately good and well-intentioned, but her choices during the first and second acts of the movie were incredibly selfish and myopic. I'm not saying that the repression forced by her well-intended-but-misguided parents wasn't responsible for this behavior; Elsa does have a reason to act the way she does. That does not change the fact that "Let It Go" centers on a very self-seeking choice, and that's not something on which you can end a movie.
Well said. I think I also meant that one of the best sung songs was in the first half instead of near the end. I completely understand what you're saying, but before i saw the movie, I genuinely thought Let It Go was at the end.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Aeva wrote:You know, I actually expected you to really enjoy Frozen, bookworm. I have no idea why lol.
Sorry to disappoint you. :(
But I expected me to enjoy it too. I doubted it could entirely live up to the hype, but I thought I’d at least find it good. But I only found it decent.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Why do you boys have to be so complicated. :x Humor intended.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of "Let It Go," have any of you listened to it in a different language? I actually like the French version even better than the English version.
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've seen a video that has it broken up into 25 different languages.

Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Yes, I saw that one too. \:D/ I just love the different connotation of the song in French. For example, in English Elsa sings, "The cold never bothered me anyway!" but in French this line is rendered as "The cold is the price for my freedom." (You all probably didn't want to know that, but oh well. \:D/ )
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

And instead of "let it go", the main chorus in Spanish is "I am free". \:D/ Ah, translations: when it comes to musical lyrics, they don't care about significantly changing the meaning of the song.
Last edited by Amethystic on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

XD That was beautiful. I love HISHE so much.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Haha I saw that last night; it's brilliant \:D/

Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

I saw it. There was much screaming. The end.

(ps. It makes me think Brother Bear.)
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic