Frozen

Because I'm fangirling too much in real life

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I saw spoilers beforehand, because my information source about the movie was tumblr, where everyone had seen the junior novelizations and knew who the main villain would be. So throughout "Love is an Open Door", one of my best friends was sitting next to me and hissing in my ear about how utterly adorable and perfect Hans and Anna were. I didn't say anything, mostly because I was trying to avoid getting that song stuck in my head, and clung on to the knowledge of what would actually happen.

"Let It Go" and Elsa's story are basically the Disney version of "Defying Gravity" and Elphaba's story (aside from having the same singer, obviously; I for one think that "Love is an Open Door" could parallel "Dancing Through Life" in the sense of the carefree tone, and that the reprise of "For the First Time in Forever is a lot like "No Good Deed"). Both Elsa's plot in Frozen and Elphaba's plot in Wicked could basically apply to anyone who's ever been oppressed by anything--needing to be perfect, a bad thing they did in their past that they'd like to keep secret, an ability that they've kept hidden because it's "abnormal", a disorder...if you spun the lyrics of either of "Let It Go" or "Defying Gravity" a certain way, they could even be viewed in the context of a Christian refusing to bow to the whims of the world or the societal moral majority (I doubt that such an interpretation was the intent of the writers, of course, but if the listener chooses to consider the lyrics that way, it still fits, for the most part). Both of those songs could mean any number of things; I wouldn't state categorically that the subtext of the film is definitely pro-alternate sexuality. It's plausible, given that Disney supports gay rights, but it doesn't have to be taken that way if the viewer doesn't see it that way.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I just saw the movie, and I enjoyed it very muchly. :yes: I thought it had a really great message about love, and also reminded us just how deceiving charm can be. (Yeah, I didn't see that one coming. Dang prince! To think I even felt sorry that she was totally going to ditch you for the ice salesman... :x ) But yeah, the story was touching, the songs were fun, and I enjoyed the cameo that Rapunzel and Flynn made early in the movie. \:D/ I hope Disney continues with this string of good movies, because I thought Frozen was great.
Last edited by Amethystic on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerintheShadows

Amethystic wrote:I enjoyed the cameo that Rapunzel and Flynn made early in the movie. \:D/
You noticed that, too? \:D/ I'm quite confident that Anna and Kristoff will honeymoon in Corona.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I DID NOT SEE THEM.

Now I have to see the movie again in theaters... JUST for that. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I saw it yesterday and cred within the first 15 minutes of the film, and bought the sountrack right away if that tells you anything. WHERE WERE THEY??
TigerintheShadows

Rapunzel and Flynn made a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo during the "For the First Time in Forever" sequence when the gates are opened and Anna first runs out and starts singing and dancing all over the place. You can probably find the image somewhere on Google.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Right here \:D/

I didn't notice it until I saw a Tumblr post about it :p
*insert provocative quote here*
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I just saw it a couple days ago.

I must say, I loved it. :mrgreen:

The exposition fast paced, the music was fantastic, the plot line was engaging, and the characters were very relateable.
All in all, I'd say it one of the most original films I've seen in quite awhile...
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw Frozen with a friend yesterday, and we both really enjoyed the movie! \:D/ Fun songs, great story...what more can you ask for? \:D/ I want to buy the soundtrack, because there were a lot of really great songs.

The Mickey Mouse 3D adventure before the movie was tons of fun! I caught Will Ryan's name in the credits for it, and according to the IMDB, he played Peg-Leg Pete some of the time - the parts that weren't archive footage. Voice matching within a short production that also uses the real voice sounds difficult.
Mr. Sunnys
Gold Member

Post by Mr. Sunnys »

TigerintheShadows wrote: "royal figure is involved with a curse and there's snow".
Actually, she didn't have a curse. She was just born different.
Adventures in Odyssey Clubhouse Magazine wrote: Elsa doesn’t ask for her chilly powers, nor does it appear anyone has put a spell on her. She was just born different.
"My avatar is awesome."
"You are lame, and so is your dog."
Romans 8:28 ~~Sunnys~~ <BIBLE|---
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

At one point (in one of the musical numbers I think) Elsa calls it a curse that she is unable to control, which is telling in regards to how she views herself. She is like the Prince from Beauty and the Beast, locked away in a self-imposed exile, believing she is a monster. But we know better, because her parents tell the trolls at the beginning that she was born with her powers. Fate doesn't decide whether her magical ice powers are good or bad, Elsa does. It makes me think of Spider-man's moral stipulation: "With great power comes great responsibility." Disney did a similar thing with Brave, placing the responsibility of fate in the hands of the protagonist, which is a very welcome change from the more conventional and predictable formulaic approach to Disney's older films.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
TigerintheShadows

Mr. Sunnys wrote:Actually, she didn't have a curse. She was just born different.
I believe (though I don't recall, given that I wrote that about two months ago) that I was speaking of the "curse", so to speak, of Anna's frozen heart and how it is similar to Kai's curse in the original fairy tale. (Or I may have meant Elsa's view of her powers; I don't know.)
Jelly wrote:Disney did a similar thing with Brave, placing the responsibility of fate in the hands of the protagonist, which is a very welcome change from the more conventional and predictable formulaic approach to Disney's older films.
^This. Charming as the old films were, I like the direction the new films are taking--it isn't about fate or destiny, it's about the protagonist's choices and who they decide to become.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

Catspaw wrote:The Mickey Mouse 3D adventure before the movie was tons of fun! I caught Will Ryan's name in the credits for it, and according to the IMDB, he played Peg-Leg Pete some of the time - the parts that weren't archive footage. Voice matching within a short production that also uses the real voice sounds difficult.
My sister, mom, and I were so excited to see his name in the credits, along with Jess Harnell. :D
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Mr. Sunnys
Gold Member

Post by Mr. Sunnys »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:Right here \:D/

I didn't notice it until I saw a Tumblr post about it :p
LOL
"My avatar is awesome."
"You are lame, and so is your dog."
Romans 8:28 ~~Sunnys~~ <BIBLE|---
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I just saw the movie, and it was amazing! I honestly did not have that high of expectations for it, but I was blown away. Frozen has become one of my most favorite animated films. I highly recommend it.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Caitie
Processing

Post by Caitie »

Well, I thought Frozen was fantastic, and I loved the characters. Idina did an AMAZING job singing 'Let it Go', and the rest of the songs were pretty cool. I noticed Flynn and Rapunzel the first time, and my sister and I were kind of confused, but nevertheless, we figured it out :P
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I saw Frozen with my sister on Thursday, and I definitely liked it. I really felt the pain of rejection Anna felt in the beginning scenes with Elsa as they both grew up. I'm glad Elsa was able to find a place to be away from people for a while, (hence the Let it Go sequence, which personally I thought would've been better at the end but oh well). I knew spoilers beforehand but it was still amazing to see how it came together

Till the end of the line.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I wouldn't state categorically that the subtext of the film is definitely pro-alternate sexuality. It's plausible, given that Disney supports gay rights, but it doesn't have to be taken that way if the viewer doesn't see it that way.
This woman disagrees. \:D/
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So I’ve finally seen this. Sort of. I went over to a friend’s the other day and they were watching it so I watched it too. It was about exactly halfway though I think, more or less, so I saw the last half.
I gather that this is supposedly the greatest Disney film ever made, or something like that, but I really don’t understand why. I thought it was fine, but not at all stand out spectacular. Did something amazing happen in the first half that I didn’t see, or am I just missing whatever makes it so great?

Later we drove somewhere and put on the soundtrack in the car so I heard the songs I missed seeing, and I didn’t think those were impressive either. They were nice, but I didn’t find them profound, or even catchy. Not even the famous Let It Go which I had expected to knock me off my feet with amazingness when I finally heard it because of all the hype. It was definitely my favorite of the songs, but I didn’t think ‘This is so great’ or ‘I’m going to have this in my head for a while’ or anything.

The whole thing was really a letdown after the unprecedented level of praise it’s gotten. It didn’t make me make any special plans to see the first half and get the full experience. I will eventually, but I’m not in any hurry.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Hype kills things. :( that's why I'm glad I saw this early on, before everybody started talking about it.

(yeah, typical hipster thing to say)