X-Men: Days of Future Past

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Post by The Top Crusader »

Or Wolverine 5, whichever. \:D/

Lots of trailer drops lately... I'm told to expect one more big one in the next few days, but we'll see. >_>
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

*thread merged*

Discuss!

I loved it. Seen it twice, just as good second time around. It was well put together and it had an excellent story. It was one I was highly anticipating, and I wasn't disappointed

Till the end of the line.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I mostly loved how Brian Singer effectively just erased X-Men: The Last Stand from the canon. That's a pretty smart creative decision if you ask me. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

It's been a long time since I've seen Last Stand, so I can't effectively comment apart from saying that Bryan Singer didn't direct it, so I don't wonder at his wanting to correct it with this movie

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I like that they never give any good explanation as to how Xavier is still around. Wolverine asked him in the post-credit scene in The Wolverine but he never really gave a good reason. I know that the commentary of The Last Stand explains it but obviously the average viewer doesn't know that and it should've been clearly stated in a movie.

Anyway, I really enjoyed DoFP. I like that Singer fixed a lot of stuff, but I kind of feel like he also had a lot of weird stuff happen that doesn't make sense... so he corrected some things but created more time anomalies... ah well. I know most people want to pretend X-Men Origins: Wolverine didn't exist... but unfortunately it did, and Wolverine and Creed were fighting in Vietnam together and were recruited by middle-aged Stryker... this takes place right at the end of the conflict so they should've already been recruited to his task force, but Wolverine was just doing body guard work alone apparently (to be fair he didn't hang around to find out exactly what was going on).

I also thought it was funny that suddenly old Patrick Stewart Xavier goes into a little story about Mystique being like a sister to him, while he acted like he didn't really know or care much about her in the old movies. She didn't really have much personality in X1-3.

Quicksilver was handled fantastically (we even get a nod to Magneto being his father), while I generally prefer the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, I really wonder if their version of Quicksilver will be as good. Definitely looks like they are using him in a different role.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've only seen X 1-3, and then First Class and DoFP, so I can't really comment on the individual Wolverine movies. I heard Origins was crummy (though I remember wanting to see it, maybe I shouldn't?). I heard the others were better.

Fair point about Xavier not really knowing or caring about Mystique in the original trilogy. But hey, that's what the backstory movies were for.

Quicksilver was great; will the Quicksilver in the Avengers 2 be the same character, but different interpretation?

Guess I missed the nod about Magneto being Quicksilver's father? can you explain that Top?

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I would say Origins is the kind of movie that is probably worth watching once as long as you go in not expecting it to be the greatest thing ever... it's entertaining enough and Hugh Jackman and Liev Schrieber are great actors, it just also has lots of dumb stuff going on and a few scenes look like they ran out of CGI money.

Avengers 2 Quicksilver is technically the same character, but, yeah, in a separate universe. Or something. Plus presumably a lot younger since it isn't taking place in the 1970's. Quicksilver made some comment about his mom knowing a guy that could control metal and if I recall correctly Magneto made kind of a weird face for a second. >_> Interestingly enough, Fox and Disney can both use Quicksilver and his sister, Scarlet Witch, in films, because they are the children of Magneto, thus having clear ties to the X-men series which Fox owns the film rights, and because they spent decades and decades as members of the Avengers, which Disney of course owns. They just can't refer to Magneto or mutants in the Avengers series, and obviously no mention of Avengers in the X-men series. It's kind of dumb but that's what Marvel Comics gets for leasing out tons of their properties when they were going bankrupt in the late 1990's! \:D/