Noah

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Noah

Post by Termite »

Hey, hey! Lookee here!

Obviously going to be somewhat unbiblical, but still. My eyes got HUGE when the flood began towards the end of the trailer- it's going to be some visual add-on to the Bible. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

This looks cool! I'd like to see it. So far, it doesn't look like there's been too many embellishments--I wouldn't mind if they'd imagine how it might have been and add scenes that might or might not have happened, it's if they re-imagined it and twisted events too much that I wouldn't like. I'll have to wait and see.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I read that there was quite a bit of contention between the distributing studio and Russell Crowe, because the movie was pre-screened by both a Jewish audience and a Christian audience, and both said that they didn't like how little effort was made to stick to the biblical account.

So... I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not getting my hopes up that it's going to feature a monumentally good representation of Scripture.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

It looks like a decent movie. I am not super excited about it because I have seen so many Noah adaptions in movies, plays, etc. I will, however, probably still see this, and I am sure the visual effects will be phenomenal.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I'm pretty anxious for this movie. So anxious, in fact, that I wrote a blog post about it! \:D/

(This time I've put the safety of a link between the ToO and my fanatic film drivil.. you're welcome. ;) )
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jelly wrote:(This time I've put the safety of a link between the ToO and my fanatic film drivil.. you're welcome. ;) )
;)

My favorite part of the trailer is when the people try to attack the ark. Gruesome thought, really.

I am very excited about this!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

For what it is, it looks pretty amazing. I got chills at the end.

Still, I realize it won't follow the biblical account exactly but it doesn't mean it won't be good in its own way.

Till the end of the line.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I'm actually really looking forward to this...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Can we address this for a moment? Has anyone ever stopped to think what an "actual literal" version of Noah's Ark would look like?

It would look boring. In the Biblical narrative, Noah's character is pious and righteous and unattainably perfect. He builds an ark and survives the flood while everyone else dies. That's not screenplay material.

If you're only interested in watching flood waters destroy the earth in a spectacular way, just watch Day After Tomorrow or 2012 and save yourself the wait. I for one am excited for this movie because it's going to present an interesting perspective of Noah and who he really was as a human being. We'll get to see the story told from an up-close, personal lens, not just a bland retelling of the story everyone already knows.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Russel Crowe is a phenomenal actor. And I really enjoy watching Emma Watson, as well.

Actors aside, I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'm hoping to see a unique interpretation of Noah's life and story brought to life in a captivating and realistic way.
*insert provocative quote here*
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

It looks good...yet terrible at the same time. So I really don't know what to think.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

This article is very telling:
Rough Seas on 'Noah': Darren Aronofsky Opens Up on the Biblical Battle to Woo Christians wrote:Friction grew when a segment of the recruited Christian viewers, among whom the studio had hoped to find Noah's most enthusiastic fans, questioned the film's adherence to the Bible story and reacted negatively to the intensity and darkness of the lead character. Aronofsky's Noah gets drunk, for example...
Christian culture, apparently, can't have their cake and eat it too.

And this is EXACTLY why we need more films like this. I'm really excited to see it.
Last edited by jelly on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

It's funny, because Noah getting drunk IS Biblical. After the flood anyway. It's artistic license to say he did another time, but who's to say he didn't? Biblical people, if you read the Bible at all, weren't saints. That's why it's a realistic book. It shows even the most revered prophets as people like you and me, who weren't perfect. The only truly sacred person in the Bible is Jesus Christ. That's why I don't have a problem with artistic license taken with a Bible story; I'm just glad to see some version on screen, especially if there is some respect for the original material.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

^exactly!

I can't understand the need to have glowing, flawless caricatures of Biblical figures or heroes of faith. It reminds me of the Muslim extremists who idolize Mohammed and insist that he was perfect and never had any doubts about his experiences of Allah. Even though, in reality, Mohammed was crippled with doubt over his God-experience and even contemplated suicide. But extremists can't handle that idea - it challenges their OWN beliefs too much and reminds them that maybe, just maybe, having faith isn't the same thing as having arrogant certainty.

I want to see a deeply flawed, troubled version of Noah, because that is what makes him endearing to us as human beings. It's what reminds us that God isn't interested in using perfect people, he's interested in taking proud, selfish, messed-up people and turning them into heroes. Heroes of faith.
Last edited by jelly on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t have a stake in this either way so I’m just popping in briefly to play devil’s advocate, but my first thought on why people would have a problem with it is because of who Noah in particular is. You say he wasn’t perfect, and no he certainly wasn’t, as no one is perfect, but at the same time he was a very righteous man, thus the reason he is singularly selected to be saved from the flood.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

You're right, the Bible does say he was righteous. But what does that mean? It probably didn't mean he was a well-behaved, pious man who stayed away from sinful things while everyone else in the world partook in them. There's a difference between self-righteousness, and righteousness in God's eyes. I have a feeling that Noah was the right man for the job because he had "eyes to see and ears to hear". God had been trying to speak into the lives of the people for years and years, but Noah was the only one who took God's ludicrous command seriously and started building a giant ark. That was all it took to separate Noah from everyone else - that step of faith.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Beautifully put, Jelly.

I think many Christian films tend to gloss over the negative aspects of Biblical characters, when the reality is they were not perfect but God still spoke to them and used them for great things.

Till the end of the line.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Thanks Shen. :) And you can see why I'm excited about this film!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I think it looks...overly dramatic. =| But I would still like to see it.

Six thousand posts, baby! \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

It's never, ever safe to judge a film from its trailer, especially in this case. ;)