The Book Thief

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
The Book Thief

Post by Sapphire »

The Book Thief has been out of a while now, but I wanted to know if any of you have seen it and what your thoughts on the movie are.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the movie trailer is below.

I saw it last week, and I am going to see it again today. This is the first time I have ever seen a movie in the theater twice. I absolutely loved this movie. It is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. It was a very happy yet a very sad movie. It captures the human spirit and will restore your faith in humanity. I loved it so much I bought the book it was based on. The book is very amazing as well, but that's another story. I highly recommend this movie to everyone, especially bookworms and writers.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sapphire wrote:I highly recommend this movie to everyone, especially bookworms and writers.
I misread this as a recommendation to me personally. :P

I plan to see this, but it hasn’t come to my area yet for some reason.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

bookworm wrote:
Sapphire wrote:I highly recommend this movie to everyone, especially bookworms and writers.
I misread this as a recommendation to me personally. :P

I plan to see this, but it hasn’t come to my area yet for some reason.
I almost didn't put bookworm because I thought you would misinterpret it like you did. :p Then I realized that you are a bookworm. So, my recommendation definitely pertains to you.

If you can't watch it yet, you should read the book because it's arguably more amazing than the film. (In my opinion, it is more amazing.)
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sapphire wrote:I almost didn't put bookworm because I thought you would misinterpret it like you did. :p Then I realized that you are a bookworm. So, my recommendation definitely pertains to you.
Yeah, it's directed at me either way, just generally instead of specifically. ;)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I'm waiting until the movie comes to Netflix. I really want to see it, but it's one of those movies that I'm not willing to pay to see in the theatre :p

Though I must say the the book is one of the greatest young adult novels that I have ever read.
*insert provocative quote here*
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

bookworm wrote:
Sapphire wrote:I almost didn't put bookworm because I thought you would misinterpret it like you did. :p Then I realized that you are a bookworm. So, my recommendation definitely pertains to you.
Yeah, it's directed at me either way, just generally instead of specifically. ;)
Precisely. ;)
Musical Shutterbug wrote:I'm waiting until the movie comes to Netflix. I really want to see it, but it's one of those movies that I'm not willing to pay to see in the theatre :p

Though I must say the the book is one of the greatest young adult novels that I have ever read.
I have to disagree with you, Musical Shutterbug. I think it is worth every cent to see it in the theater. I do, however, agree with you about the book version. I recently finished reading The Book Thief, and it is amazing! It is one of my most favorite books of all time.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I am planning to read this book at some point, partly because there are so many people here with great things to say about it! It sounds interesting. I usually prefer to read the book before I see a movie based on a book (or I usually only see movies based on books if I already read the book...same end result, different reasoning) ;) so I don't think I'll be seeing this in theatres. I should be able to get my hands on the book in January.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Sapphire wrote:
Musical Shutterbug wrote:I'm waiting until the movie comes to Netflix. I really want to see it, but it's one of those movies that I'm not willing to pay to see in the theatre :p

I have to disagree with you, Musical Shutterbug. I think it is worth every cent to see it in the theater. I do, however, agree with you about the book version. I recently finished reading The Book Thief, and it is amazing! It is one of my most favorite books of all time.
The only reason I say that is because I have spent far too much money on movies this year :p
*insert provocative quote here*