Amadeus

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Amadeus

Post by Tea Ess »

I just watched this movie tonight, because of a school assignment. It was three hours long, and I can think of many, many ways I would have rather spent my evening. I will be watching it again tomorrow afternoon, as I have a paper to write about it and I want to take more thorough notes this time around.

I understand that some people might have a greater appreciation for things if this nature, so I was curious if anyone else has seen it. What did you think of it? Did you see any interesting or beautiful or tragic elements throughout the movie? Can you think of themes from the movie that might be worth expressing in a paper?

Note: I thought about trying to give a summary, but I decided that I would fail at doing so. For those who have not seen the movie and want to know what it is about, it is very simple and easy to find a synopsis or summary on the internet,
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

T.S. (myself) wrote:Did you see any interesting or beautiful or tragic elements throughout the movie?
The beautiful and tragic elements in Amadeus often seem to ride in tandem, which is one of the reasons the film can be challenging. At its heart, it's a film about a man vs. his God. Mozart plays the role of the vice, a "holy fool." The whole 'revenge' premise is nothing more than a premise, as the film plays out rather like a chess game between man and God. In the end he is driven to utter insanity (God's checkmate, perhaps?) and boasts that he is the "patron saint" of mediocrities everywhere. This is particularly chilling, because is addresses an existential crisis experienced by many: "Why would God give me the will but not the means to achieve something?" Mozart, in contrast, was seemingly born with the means and does not appreciate how blessed he is, which aggravates poor Salieri. He cannot be subjected to a God who is so unfair. And so, if he is not with God he must oppose himself to God. Thus is the legacy of Salieri. (The one in the film, at least. I don't know enough about the real one.)

The beauty is the music. It cannot help but be beautiful, the voice of God, even. The tragedy is the music's reception. Salieri does, inadvertently, bring Mozart to his grave, but Salieri interprets it as God killing Mozart rather than allow Salieri to share in His beauty. (The scene at Mozart's deathbed is among the most beautiful AND tragic I've ever seen - the room becomes sacred, music is being conceived and Salieri craves every second of it, despite hating it with every fiber in his being.)

In the end, who wins? Mozart is dead. Salieri is in the madhouse. God is silent (the priest, who was supposed to offer God's forgiveness, is unsure how to respond). I'd say it's a tragedy.

Glad you watched it by the way! Even though you were forced. ;) It's truly a great film.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Thank you for the response. While I was creating the topic I thought "If anyone replies, I'm almost positive one of them will be Jelly."

I really didn't enjoy the movie all that much while I watched it, but in hindsight it has forced me (especially because of the paper I am writing) to think and analyze the movie for deeper meaning, which I appreciate. At least to some extent the movie portrayed some details and aspects incorrectly, but not to the extent that it bothered me. One of the summaries I read hinted that part of the reason for Amadeus's popularity was how Mozart was designed and portrayed (in part) to attract the masses, but I have no idea how true that is.

I also considered the scene towards the end as the most powerful part of the movie. Salieri's craving for beauty and perfection through music touched me.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

T.S. (myself) wrote:Thank you for the response. While I was creating the topic I thought "If anyone replies, I'm almost positive one of them will be Jelly."
I'm probably the only other person on here who has even seen it. :(
T.S. (myself) wrote:One of the summaries I read hinted that part of the reason for Amadeus's popularity was how Mozart was designed and portrayed (in part) to attract the masses, but I have no idea how true that is.
You mean like the film's marketing campaign? Yeah, it was marketed with a whole "Mozart was mysteriously and vengefully murdered" twist, to get people in the theater. Tabloids do the same thing. ;) Marketing is about milking the masses of their cash.
T.S. (myself) wrote:I also considered the scene towards the end as the most powerful part of the movie. Salieri's craving for beauty and perfection through music touched me.
I'm excited to hear that. \:D/ I would be hard pressed to think of another film that so clearly links artistic expression with spiritual transcendence.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Jelly wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:Thank you for the response. While I was creating the topic I thought "If anyone replies, I'm almost positive one of them will be Jelly."
I'm probably the only other person on here who has even seen it. :(
I saw most of it in history class in junior high (don't worry, I think they edited out some parts)

I remember thinking the jealousy dynamic was compelling; from what i remember it was a good movie. I should watch it again sometime

Till the end of the line.