Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Super Bowl XLVIII halftime show

Post by bookworm »

Customary discussion thread, if anyone has anything to discuss.
This year’s performer was Bruno Mars featuring the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2012, 2013
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

The Black Eyed Peas were still the best, because they were so awful. :mrgreen:

The children singing in the beginning was nice... the rest of it was just "eh..."
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

It felt like those old members from Red Hot Chilli Peppers hijacked it and brought the quality down. Bruno Mars was good at giving a performance that appealed to to old and young alike. But if there is something for everyone to like; there is a something for everyone to dislike.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

It was okay. Nothing much else to say.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

radgeek wrote:It felt like those old members from Red Hot Chilli Peppers hijacked it and brought the quality down. Bruno Mars was good at giving a performance that appealed to to old and young alike. But if there is something for everyone to like; there is a something for everyone to dislike.
I can agree with that. However, there was nothing particularly memorable about the performance (except, perhaps, the moving drummer's platform), like the crazy Tron outfits from the Black Eye Peas' performance a few years back.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Whitty Whit wrote:It was okay. Nothing much else to say.
Exactly my reaction.
I thought the opening where he drummed through the crowd was cool, but other than that I have absolutely no opinion on it. I didn’t think it was bad, but I didn’t think it was good either. It was just a show. Which, actually, probably means it was good, because it’s supposed to just be a show. But I’m so used to looking for some defining element, like Madonna’s Romans, that my scale is probably off.
With that disclaimer, I would put this one at the bottom of my list. Which has a few more entries than last time I gave it, because it no longer only contains halftime shows I’ve watched during the broadcast; I’ve looked a couple up online.

My list, from most to least favorite:
Michael Jackson, 1993 - Best ever; just the opening of this beats the entire show they have now
Prince, 2007 - A good show all around
Black Eyed Peas, 2011 - Such a fail that it was great
Madonna, 2012 - Because I like the random Romans
Beyonce, 2013 - No distinctive comment, pretty much just another show
Bruno Mars, 2014 - No opinion whatsoever, just another show

Hmm, I just noticed that they’re actually in chronological order. That’s interesting. So apparently the performances have peaked, and each year now they just get progressively worse. Or at least less memorable. Which, again, actually likely means they’re getting better, as shows, but on my scale it means worse because I’m rating as a performance experience, not just as a show.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Perhaps you're just getting older and nostalgia is growing? ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wouldn’t call it nostalgia exactly, it’s just a defining moment or element from the show I can look back at. The more recent shows haven’t had one, they’ve just been your average big concert. Which, again, is actually a good thing, it just makes them less memorable individually.