Divergent

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

When she was going through them at the beginning of the movie I asked myself which I would be, and then immediately answered myself ‘Candor’ with no hesitation. I don’t know exactly why, but it was so quick and definite I think I have to go with that. There must have been some instinctual thing I identified with. And that was just from the brief explanation given in the movie. I then searched for images of the symbols online and found those ones I posted which state the group ideologies, and that confirmed the connection.

But looking over these maxims I also strongly identify with the Erudite philosophy. So I also feel drawn to that one, but I would be hesitant to choose it after the negative image the movie portrays of them. If it was possible, I think I would be a legitimate Erudite. One that followed the original ideals, not one of the bad ones. Although the movie seemed to imply that they were all bad and the coup was a group movement, so I don’t know.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

i haven't read all the books, only the first one. Watched the movie right after reading it. The movie was okay. Not horrible but not mind blowing either.

Four is a hottie, though. :inlove:
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I recently saw a guy wearing a shirt with the Amity symbol on it and it got me thinking about this story again and how much I appreciate the layered philosophical concepts it has, and while doing that a whole new aspect of it caught my attention. There isn't just logic behind the faction system itself, there's also logic in the greater societal structure of how the different factions interact and what their roles are.

When I saw the movie originally I found it odd that Abnegation were the ones in charge of the government. It doesn't seem to make sense at first, but in fact it's the right choice in context of the structured society they developed. A more intuitive choice of leader might be Candor for their respect of the law, or Erudite for their understanding, but if you really think about it that wouldn't actually work out well. Candor analysis is too rigidly black and white, and Erudite would have a similar too narrowed view. Abnegation was chosen because they will govern and judge with compassion, able to look at incidents situationally rather than exclusively by the letter of the law.

It's a pretty great detail of the world building that further develops the philosophical ideas at work. Like with the other musings I've pulled from this story I don't know if this detail was intentional with these actual thoughts in mind, but even if not it's great that you can draw out stuff like this on your own. And if it is intentional the author deserves more respect than she gets when people just consider her a Hunger Games imitator; this is great stuff.