What Not to Watch

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

God's Not Dead. :(
Last edited by Kait on Tue May 20, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Steve wrote:It should go without saying that everything Kirk Cameron has loaned his "talents" to should be avoided. That and anything that says "Sherwood" and isn't referring to Robin Hood should be thrown on the floor, as you run screaming in the other direction.

Also, the first Hunger Games was pretty bad.
This post is my everything.

Also, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS. :x burn it with fire! (there's a whole host of movies i could throw my disdain at, but eh!)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

You guys should check out this review source if you're thinking about watching some of the most popular movies from the past year or so. He has some interesting insights. :yes:
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

The wisdom and open-mindedness was overwhelming. I was very moved. :yes:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Kairi wrote:Also, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS. :x burn it with fire!
You've got to be joking.

I'll add The Eagle to this thread. The book is so much better.....they pretty much flopped the film version (surprise, surprise).
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

IrishTiger wrote:
You've got to be joking.
You're absolutely right. That's ridiculous Kairi. Fire is way too good a fate for it.

The Eagle... yeah that tends to happen when you take out one of the most important characters. The sequels would have made such great movies. :(
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Knight Fisher wrote:
IrishTiger wrote:
You've got to be joking.
You're absolutely right. That's ridiculous Kairi. Fire is way too good a fate for it.
Then I condemn it to...THE VOID.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Aw man, why the hate for Life of Pi? :(

I love that movie - even better in 3D and the allegorical twist to the story makes it interesting (to me).

Anyway, this isn't a thread about movies we like, so:

1. Pearl Harbor
2. The Notebook (or really any highly acclaimed romantic drama with the notable exception of "Love, Actually")
3. Most modern-day adaptations of period dramas (think "The Edge of Love", "Anna Karenina", "The Duchess", etc).
4. All of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels (Maybe I just don't like Kiera Knightly or something)?
5. Broken Flowers. I love Bill Murray, but this movie was trying way WAY too hard to be deep.
6. City of Lost Children - this movie still gives me steampunk-flavored nightmares.
7. Most Ben Stiller movies with the possible exception of "Meet the Parents" and "Spanglish"
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Sherlock wrote:2. The Notebook (or really any highly acclaimed romantic drama with the notable exception of "Love, Actually")
I love both those movies! Though the Notebook hits close to home as it's very similar to my Grandparents real-life story, and "Love, Actually" is just one of my favorite movies of all time.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Sherlock wrote:2. The Notebook (or really any highly acclaimed romantic drama with the notable exception of "Love, Actually")
Also Crazy Stupid Love which is wonderful. :noway:
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I'm not sure why I didn't like "The Notebook", maybe because it felt a little too contrived? It reminded me of that Mandy Moore film "A Walk to Remember", where the whole plot seemed purposely engineered to try and get the audience to cry, so I totally didn't buy into it. :noway:

This probably sounds like movie snobbery, but I tend to gravitate towards story lines where the themes aren't so heavy-handed. One of my favorite movies is "Lost In Translation", which I thought did such a great job of explaining human relationships while still being subtle in the delivery. Likewise, I thought "Love Actually" did a good job with the vignettes about various peoples' interactions and lives. Anna and the King, Brideshead Revisited (the serial with Jeremy Irons) and a few others come to mind.

Weird, I know. :p
Woody

Post by Woody »

"A Walk to Remember" is amazing simply because of Switchfoot. Enough said.

I haven't seen the movie in years. But Switchfoot is awesome :D
Last edited by Woody on Thu May 22, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Sherlock wrote:I'm not sure why I didn't like "The Notebook", maybe because it felt a little too contrived? It reminded me of that Mandy Moore film "A Walk to Remember", where the whole plot seemed purposely engineered to try and get the audience to cry, so I totally didn't buy into it. :noway:

Well both are based on Nicholas Sparks books whose main goal in life is pretty much to get people to cry over cliche and contrived love stories. :P
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Kait wrote:
Sherlock wrote:I'm not sure why I didn't like "The Notebook", maybe because it felt a little too contrived? It reminded me of that Mandy Moore film "A Walk to Remember", where the whole plot seemed purposely engineered to try and get the audience to cry, so I totally didn't buy into it. :noway:

Well both are based on Nicholas Sparks books whose main goal in life is pretty much to get people to cry over cliche and contrived love stories. :P
But they are good stories that deserve to be cried over!!! :x
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Sherlock wrote:Aw man, why the hate for Life of Pi? :(

I love that movie - even better in 3D ...
Right? That was the movie that officially broke my cynicism of 3D technology. I've seen it several times since, but it hasn't ever been nearly as good as the time I first saw it on the big screen.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Jelly wrote:
Sherlock wrote:Aw man, why the hate for Life of Pi? :(

I love that movie - even better in 3D ...
Right? That was the movie that officially broke my cynicism of 3D technology. I've seen it several times since, but it hasn't ever been nearly as good as the time I first saw it on the big screen.
The movie was made for 3D!

Saw it on the big screen in 3D, then a couple times at home in 3D, still haven't seen the regular format version. :P
mydoghasfleas
Processing
Location: im all in your head....heh.heh.heh, okay, fine FDL ,WI

Post by mydoghasfleas »

Been watching a lot of movies lately, some great, some awful.
Worst movies I can think of...
Skyline
Cloverfield
Rent
Master of Disguise
Your Highness
your mom's so old when you tell her to act her age,

she turns to dust.
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Kait wrote: Well both are based on Nicholas Sparks books whose main goal in life is pretty much to get people to cry over cliche and contrived love stories. :P
Are you saying there are romances that aren't cliched? Even Romeo and Juliet, the greatest romance of all time, is cliched. The love story is a formula.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Romeo and Juliet is not clichéd. It created the clichés.

Also I am on the Jelly side of Scott Vs the World. Enjoyed it.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Pound Foolish wrote:
Kait wrote: Well both are based on Nicholas Sparks books whose main goal in life is pretty much to get people to cry over cliche and contrived love stories. :P
Are you saying there are romances that aren't cliched? Even Romeo and Juliet, the greatest romance of all time, is cliched. The love story is a formula.

Romeo and Juliet has become a cliche only because we've misappropriated it's original message and meaning and totally turned it into a cliche. :P

But yes. There are love stories that aren't cliche.