America's Got Talent (Season 9)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

America's Got Talent (Season 9)

Post by bookworm »

Discussion thread for the new season of AGT.
It premieres on May 27th.

Other seasons: 6, 7, 8
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I am SO EXCITED! This is really the only T.V. show I've ever really gotten into (ie. demanding control of the T.V. every week :mrgreen:), so I really can't wait until the premier! Though, I wish that had switched out at least one of the judges. I liked a three judge panel, because it just worked so well, though, I do love how all four of last year's judges were interacting by the end of the season.
If I could bring back any judge, it would either be Piers Morgan, because of his commitment to quality, or Sharron Osborne, because of her hysterical color-commentary on so many of the acts. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I hear there are two major changes this season.

First is they have removed the Vegas round and the act weeding will now take place before an audience. I have mixed feelings about this. For the performers it’s probably a good thing because we’ve seen multiple times in the past that having just the judges there is an issue for certain acts. But then again, that was the point of that round, to see how they handled the pressure of that exclusive focus. Now that there’s a whole audience it’s really just another round like any other, I feel like the significance of that point in the competition isn’t the same now.

Also, there is apparently a new thing called a golden buzzer. Each judge can use it once to save an act. As I understand it provides a unilateral override to advance an act if the vote would otherwise send it home. I’ll have to see how this affects things to form an opinion of it because the concept is still a bit unclear. My first thought was this will be terrible because it gives the judges more power to force continuation of acts that they are the only people who like, which as we saw last season is enough of a problem under the old format already. But as I tried to find more information on it I got the impression that it may only be available in the audition round. I don’t know if that’s true, but if it is then I actually think it’s a good idea. At that point in the process I have no problem with giving the judges the ability to advance an act on their discretion because that early on it’s hard to have a real idea of what they’re like so it can’t be a bad thing to ensure they get at least one more chance, it’s better safe than sorry. There’s not a limit of how many auditions can be advanced, so it’s not like later on where if you advance a bad act it takes a spot away from one that may be more deserving.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I've seen a few episodes of this year's season of Britain's Got Talent on YouTube, and from what I've seen, the Golden Buzzer isn't used so much as to veto a unsatisfactory vote, but generally when a judge has so much confidence in an act that they're willing to use their only chance to hit the buzzer (each judge can only hit the Golden Buzzer once during the whole season, kind of like the wild card, but for the auditions), so the act goes straight through to the Live Shows, without needing to go to the "weeding round."

I really dislike the idea of removing the "Judges Only" Vegas round... Sure, it never was quite as exciting as the Auditions or the Live Shows, but it really proved whether an act had what it took to win, without the influence of an audience reacting to certain aspects of the performance/performers. And (as stated many times), yes, it does make it a lot more difficult for many acts (such as comedians, who rely heavily on audience reaction), but the judges know that, so they can (and do) change their expectations of an act during those rounds. I mean, if the judges didn't, there wouldn't have been any comedians left in the Live Shows, but there were at least two (that I can remember).
I think that having "Judges Only" really ensures that only quality acts get through to the Live Shows (however, even with it last year, there were a couple acts that I was rather upset at, because they got through to the Live Shows...).
I dunno... I'll just have to see how it works to decide if I truly like it or not.
They/Them
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

The last show I saw remove the judges only round was the US X-Factor and that was just miserable. It took away the advice the judges can give and is used almost as a humiliation tool against the contestants. I really hope America's Got Talent does not fall into that format...especially the way X-Factor contestants were pitted against one another.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Rokardy's performance was captivating. I expected a 'normal' hand balancing act to seem dull after we were spoiled by the KriStef Brothers, but it definitely was not. I think that was the highest anyone has even been up on their stage. Even the people that actually climb up things aren't that high - he was behind the X signs!

I was very confused by Donny Valentine. I really didn't think he was that bad, but everyone started booing and he was X'd out immediately. I don't claim to have an ear for singing, but I can usually tell when someone is as terrible as they made him appear to be, and I wasn't getting that at all.

That Mike guy is amazing! I can't believe when young people are able to do stuff like that, how in the world can he still do it at 93?! Howard wasn't entirely wrong, this one thing isn't enough for a show, but he definitely deserves at least one more performance so we can see what else he can do. There are strength teams that put on shows, it can work if you have a variety of feats.

I am completely behind the golden buzzer idea now that I've seen it in action. This was the perfect act to demonstrate it on.

I laughed so hard at this act, yet after it ended I wasn't sure whether I actually liked it. I'm confused about what it is, and what else it will be. This has to get one more performance, just to explain itself. Ideally the judges would recognize that, because again at this stage it should be a better safe than sorry mentality, there's no negative consequences of putting someone through, if you aren't absolutely sure it's a no then it should be a yes, so ideally the Mel in this case, since she seemed on the fence, should have gone ahead and put them through so we could see what the next time would be like, but since she didn't it was absolutely the right decision for Howard to use the golden buzzer.

I enjoyed Blue Journey.

I see inspiration from Kenichi Ebina, incorporating live dance with the technology to not just use the projections but to interact with them. I'm very interested to see what else they do, if it's going to have the variety Kenichi had or if they're going to all be basically the same idea of moving with the shadows. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, it depends on the choreography.

What in the world?

That was crazy.

I'm still predisposed to be opposed to singers on this show, for the same reasons, but every now and then one manages to win my support. I like Jaycob a lot, and it's not because of his story, you know I say leave the stories out of it. He has a great voice!
Last edited by bookworm on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Larry the Mime cracked me up SO BAD.
(If you haven't seen the video, don't click the Spoiler button)
I was completely surprised the first time, but now when I go back and watch it, I can totally tell that it's Nick.
And Dustin's Dojo was absolutely HYSTERICAL! Howard was absolutely right when he said,
"They've lampooned, to the tee, everything that goes on in a Martial Arts Studio."
To lampoon is to parody or publicly criticize or mock someone or something using humor.

And I'll tell you, Rokardy was simply incredible. First of all, I would have guessed that he was in his mid-thirties, maybe early-forties, but certainly not 49 years old... His performance was simple, but captivating. He'll certainly need to expand the act a little, in order to keep things fresh, but this was the perfect act to start out.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The first time I watched it I actually knew it was Nick as soon as he started talking, I recognized his voice immediately; but the second time I watched it, when I knew from the start it was him, I thought he disguised it really well. Weird.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I think Abigail Baird and her "Aerial Animation" has been my favorite act so far this season. Her moves weren't the most pristine and perfect aerial moves I've seen, but her imagination truly was inspiring, and I just can't wait to see what else she brings to life!

We're already seeing plenty of singers flocking onto the show... Why are we, as a nation, so obsessed with singers?
Now, I will admit, the singers that have gone through each have incredibly unique voices, unlike any others that I've heard... But in the end, a singer's performance is not so much about his or her voice, as it is about how young she is, or how "hot" he is, or how hard his life has been. In a way, I kind of wish the judges would be a lot more "picky" about the singers they allowed to go on...
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This was weird.

I have no idea what this was.

I saw a group like Real Encounter in person once. It doesn't come across on tv at all. You have to be there to really understand what those guys are doing, it's incredible.

The card throwing kid was really impressive. I'm amazed when anyone can do those stunts, it's remarkable someone so young can do it. And how in the world did he throw those all the way into the balcony?!

Now this was something truly unique. They've had aerial acts, they've had projection interaction, but never anything with both.

A very captivating and entertaining performance.
Last edited by bookworm on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

What do you two think of the allegations that it's rigged?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t think anything at the moment, since I’m not sure what you refer to.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

*Le post for bookworm, when he gets around to posting his weekly review*
:- :- :-
They/Them
The Scribbler
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Post by The Scribbler »

This show stinks.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Did twerk girl go through? They didn't say one way or the other. I hope not. Even though everyone inexplicably liked it, there's no way it can be a show.

This was so great; I love pigs! :P

It probably can't be a full show so it won't go too far, but I'm glad it's going at least one more round.

Haha, Howie hair :P

Wow, this was a really neat visual.

Similar to Mitsi Dancing School but using a prop not just arms.

This was just hilarious! :lol:

What in the world, Aaron's costume had nothing to do with his act? He just wore it to stand out? I mean it worked, but he would have stood out without it; he has an amazing voice!

This is probably the smoothest, most entertaining close up magic act I've ever seen. Amazing, flawless tricks. I had never seen anything like the pouring trick before.

Last edited by bookworm on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Smoothini was excellent, though the tricks weren't that impressive.
The pouring trick is one of the simplest tricks in the book:

WARNING, THIS REALLY IS A SPOILER, DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU WANT THE TRICK TO BE SPOILED
He has a hollow, plastic thumb over his real thumb, which he can remove, pour salt or liquid into it, and then put the thumb back over his real thumb, as though the salt has disappeared. Just watch his hands closely at 3:29, and you'll see him place his thumb back into the fake thumb. It's very apparent at 3:33, when he pulls his thumb out; just watch the thumb of his right hand closely, and you'll see it.
All of his tricks (except for the cards appearing out of nowhere; I'm not sure how he did that one), from the "transporting" ball, to the pen up the nose, were very simple tricks that are in basically every beginner's magic trick book out there. However, even though his tricks were simple, he was flawless; I love his confidence, his showmanship, his patter... He's sleek and smooth, and you can't help but be drawn in. He's an absolutely fantastic magician. I also appreciated the fact that they didn't make his act all about his background in the Marines, or whatever.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sure they were simple, close up magic doesn’t have huge productions. It’s the skill level he did them with.
And that explains the concept of the pouring trick (which I already had a similar guess about; I said I’d never seen it before, not I had no idea how it could be done) but how did he pour more salt after already pouring the handful out? That was what got me.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

He also used every filled the entire 90 seconds to the brim. There are many good magicians out there that could be great magicians, if they used their time more wisely (Collins Key, anyone?). And even though I knew how he did most of his tricks, he had me captivated from the moment he walked onto the stage, to the moment he walked off; I honestly didn't want it to end!
They/Them
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is interesting. It seems Blue Journey isn't that pair of dancers, it's actually the piece they danced. Or more accurately, the piece that piece was formed from.
Blue Journey is a complete 20 minute performance by choreographer David Middendorp. He created the AGT performance by putting select elements from the original piece together into a new piece he calls Black Journey. His YouTube channel has the full performance.

     

This would seem to suggest that future performances on AGT may be more of the same. Perhaps other elements from the full show compressed into short samples. It's a unique idea, because we know the end game beforehand. It's already a finished show, we know where it's going. And we know it can work as its own show, because it already has. Can it work as an AGT show though is the question. I watched the full 20 minute performance and I thought it was a good show, I didn't get bored. But an hour would be too long. It needs something else. I don't know if we'll get that during their tv run though because the primary goal is probably just to demonstrate the concept, so as I said more condensed samples of what the performance will contain. It depends on what their aim in going on the show is. Are they planning to build on this already formed act to take it to another level so it can become a fuller show by AGT standards, or is their thought that they can just go with simply what they have, since they already have a finished act, and are just looking to use AGT as a way to push that act as it is to more attention. If it's the former, they have a lot of potential. If it's the latter, I don't think it will work out.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

*A post for the Literate Invertebrate* :mrgreen:
They/Them