funny theater experience

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

funny theater experience

Post by bookworm »

I was watching Edge of Tomorrow, which if you aren’t aware is about a guy who relives the same day each time he dies, so a lot of the movie is replaying the same scenes. Half way in or so the screen clicked off and the lights flickered. The theater had a power surge. So we’re all sitting there looking at the blank screen, but instead of hearing complaints from the crowd everyone laughed, because two or three people exclaimed at about the same time ‘Now we have to start over!’ in reference to the movie premise obviously.

Eventually they got the projector back on and restarted the movie about five minutes before it went out, so we indeed had to ‘relive’ the previous scene. Which was perfectly in keeping with how the movie is, so it wasn’t an inconvenience, it was comedic. You could see it as either another replay in the movie itself, or a real life replay of us watching the movie as if we were in the movie. Either way, super funny. We later found out it had happened to every movie playing, which made us laugh again because to everyone else it would have been just an interruption, but for us because of the specific movie we'd been in it was an experience which actually connected us to what we were watching.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

:lol: That sounds like a fun experience! What a great thing to have happen if there are a few conspiracy theory fans around. ;)

It has happened twice to me where the trailers have started playing with no sound, and the one time I think the first trailer was the teaser trailer for "Interstellar," and we were all trying to decide if it was a really offbeat, artsy trailer that really had no sound for some amazing reason beyond our comprehension, or if it was just an unfortunate error. When the Captain America 2 trailer also had no sound until they finally fixed it about halfway through the trailer, we knew. ;)
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

One of the weirdest movie experiences I've had was when I went to see Prince Caspian with a bunch of friends. Then, about 10 minutes before the movie ended, the film reel melted! It was the most random thing ever--there was a small hole in the corner of the screen that got bigger and bigger till we could see the reel pulling apart! We were waiting for about fifteen minutes, during which a bunch of people left, but eventually they got a new reel and finished the movie. We got free movie passes afterwards, but it was definitely the strangest experience I've had in a theater. ;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is really crazy! That feels like the kind of thing that should be (or possibly has been) used as a trick special effect in cartoons. If Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck were on the screen, that would make a lot more sense! ;) I have never heard of that happening before.