The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Post by bookworm »

I just discovered this; has anyone else seen it? It's such a fun movie. The premise is completely ridiculous and entirely genius at the same time. Take major literary characters and put them together in the same world as a superhero team. It's the Avengers of the twentieth century. (Seriously. The most obvious comparison is Jekyll and Hyde are Banner and the Hulk, but you can make others as well. Quatermain is a sharpshooter so he's like Hawkeye, Mina is Black Widow because she takes on a ton of enemies herself, the Invisible Man is Tony Stark because he doesn't treat things seriously enough, etc.)

The original plan was for the movie to spawn a film franchise, but that idea was scrapped when it wasn't as positively received as they had hoped. It's a real shame, I would love to see more of this.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I see a lot of hate for this movie, and I don't really know why. It's not perfect of course, but it predates a lot of the better super hero offerings (I think it came out in 2003? ), and I think it handled its subject matter well. Plus... Sean Connery's last screen role! I always liked Quatermain, who Indiana Jones was obviously inspired by, so it was neat seeing Indy's father playing him. My minor complaint is Captain Nemo had a smaller role than I would have given him, but there was a lot to juggle.

I hear the graphic novels are fantastic, but I've never read any of them. It's not entirely the same team members.