The Flash

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Flash

Post by bookworm »

I had heard this show was in the works a while back but had no intention of watching it, until I just now learned that it is a spin-off of Arrow which takes place in the same universe. In fact it’s directly connected: It’s Barry! I had no idea that’s what the STAR incident was setting up; I knew it would give him superpowers eventually, but I didn’t know what because I never knew Flash’s real name. So this is why he never got brought back into that show, because he got his own show.

I still don’t really have interest in it for itself, but now that I know the bigger picture I’m wondering if I should at least check it out so I’ll know what’s happening there if the two shows ever cross paths again.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I am planning on watching this show simply because I love Barry's character! I loved him in Arrow, and because it's in the same universe as Arrow and because I love Arrow, I really want to watch The Flash!
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I did some checking and the two series are not only going to continue crossing, but appear to inherently be very closely tied. And the synopsis of what this show is going to be like sounds a lot more interesting than I expected, so I'm definitely going to check it out for at least a while and hopefully I'll like it enough to watch it in conjunction with Arrow so I can get the full picture of what's happening in this universe for when those future crossovers do occur.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

So I just watched the pilot:
Honestly, I like Grant Gustin. Not because he was in Glee, but because he has an awesome voice. He's good for this role, Barry Allen. I liked Iris, and then she had to go and like that uppity new detective. I think that bad guy, Martin, would've been a good villain to not have ended his role in one episode. That's lame.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Glad I gave this a try, I liked the pilot a lot. And it is indeed very connected to Arrow; I think it will be important to follow both shows to have the fullest experience of everything that's happening.

I like that this show is about a hero battling villains that also have powers, as opposed to being another Arrow just in a different city where the hero battles normal people that are just villainous. It reminds me of the Static Shock cartoon series I used to watch years and years ago; good and bad guys both got powers and what put them on what side was how they chose to use them. I think this will be a fun show.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

I'm just going to say I am enjoying this show more that Arrow right now. I like it because we actually have a happy hero, who saves people instead of hunts down bad guys. And most of the time the sun is out. I never really realized how much of Arrow is at night. I don't want to spoil any of the later episodes if you haven't seen them yet, but so far they just have been better each week.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I haven't seen any episodes of The Flash after the pilot. I've been too busy doing life and Agents of Shield, Arrow, Once Upon a Time, and Gotham.

My life's hard. :(
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m behind, but I watched the second episode. I liked it a lot as well, I think this is going to be a really good show.

I'm curious how long Iris can be kept out of the loop, the issue is bound to be forced sooner or later since she's not just another bystander now, she's actively tracking The Flash.

It's nice that the police are going to be with him from the start here since Joe knows his identity already, that's refreshing. The initial opposition to The Arrow was compelling for that story, but this is different, it's its own thing over here.

I wonder what's up with Wells, he's apparently from the future or something. He clearly has some hidden agenda in all this, but at the end here he says he's keeping Barry "safe" so is he a bad guy or just a mysterious guy?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Spoilers on Wells.
From what I've seen going around the web from the comic book lore. Wells (As in H.G.) is a time traveler who sets up horrible stuff to make super heroes. Thus Barry's Mom.
I've really liked it so far. And it made me get back into Arrow which I dropped a few episodes into season 1.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

This show is good. The first few episodes are a little cliche, but it is laying the groundwork that must be laid for all superhero stories. Still, this is a fun show with a great cast and it looks to get better in the future.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Things You Can't Outrun:

I was wondering what they were going to do once they started capturing these guys.

So Wells doesn't just know about the Flash's distant future, he seems to know everything about him, even that he would be created in the storm. What is up with that guy?

Going Rogue:

The first full crossover episode; Felicity was out of town (here with Barry) in this week's episode of Arrow.

The opening scene with him going between the three games was a really neat idea, but I don't know if it holds up. If they were three board games it could work, but having the middle one be ping pong seems like he couldn't keep up the flow. Because he's not going superspeed the whole time, he slows to regular speed to make his moves and just flashes to and from each location. So he makes his move in operation, flashes to the ping pong table in time to hit the ball, that works, but then he flashes to the chess board and slows to real time to make his move there, during which the ping pong ball would be hit back. I guess he might flash back to the table just in time to hit it again, but it would be pretty close.

This was a significant one; the first person Barry couldn't save and the first serious group conflict. And the first bad guy that got away, that was strange.

And the explanation of why Joe doesn't want Iris dating his partner was good. I thought maybe he had some issue with him or something, but it's because of their work.

Plastique:

This was another significant one; the first metahuman that didn't become a villain. Other than Barry of course.

I really hope the Iris thing is resolved sooner rather than later. Dragging out this whole awkwardness of her looking into the streak and what is she going to find out for too long is an unnecessary distraction hanging over things. That aspect was compelling in Arrow with Laurel, but it's a different situation over here. It doesn't have to go so far as for Barry to go ahead and reveal he's the Flash already, but there has to be some arrangement that can be reached where she won't be in the way like this.

I wonder what they're going to do with Grodd. I had caught the brief glance of his busted cage in the pilot episode and knew it must be a hint for something so I looked up what it meant because I had never heard of that character. Sounds interesting.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Finally got around to watching the first episode. I love it so far :)

Till the end of the line.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Flash Is Born:

Haha, man of steel.

I didn't realize the police weren't in on the metahumans yet. I knew Joe hasn't revealed the Flash, but I thought they knew about the bad ones. How did they explain these crazy guys they've been up against?

Yikes, the original streak is back. That's not good.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This last episode was amazing. Sadly most of it is retconned immediately with the time travel.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm finally, finally all caught up. This show has really grown on me. My favorites have been all the crossover episodes (both here and on Arrow), and especially the last couple ones

This last one blew my mind. I can't wait to see how it continues! \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm way behind! :mad: (as you can see by my (lack of) posts)
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm so glad The Flash (and a lot of my other shows) come back from hiatus this week :D

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Shennifer wrote:I'm so glad The Flash (and a lot of my other shows) come back from hiatus this week :D
I found people who watch this show. *happyface*
Oh, and I was really glad to discover that 'Dr. Wells' is not Dr. Wells. That the real Dr. Wells was a good man, even if his impersonator body-steal-er isn't. ;) Now Flash needs to go back in time and meet the real awesome guy. #fanfic

And the 'Dr. Wells' Barry knows acts remarkably like the real Dr. Wells personality wise. Is it possible a bit of the real Dr. Wells is still there, like when Ronnie and the other guy I can't remember the name of:P combine?

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

SPOILER ALERT!!! I haven't watched the latest episodes!! No!!! My Flash fangirling......is OVER!! For now anyways.... :p
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

One more episode! :):)

Also, I loved the Princess Bride reference in the Grodd episode. xD

SnC Forever. Miss you still.