Interstellar

I'm surprised no one's made a thread on this one yet...

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Interstellar

Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Has anybody seen it? I saw it this past Sunday, and I was thoroughly impressed. From Hans Zimmer's score, to the audio-effects and the visual-effects, to the story line, and the characterization, I gave it a 9.5 on a 10 point scale. I'll discuss my points once some discussion gets rolling. I just want to know, what did y'all think of it?
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I had thoughts. :P

I don't often have time to write about films anymore, but I did find time for this one! Two spoilers: one for the long, pretentious essay and another for the tl:dr version!
I owe Christopher Nolan a lot. When I was sixteen, a movie about a caped vigilante and a larger-than-life villain rocked my amateurish expectations when it came to superhero films, and seemed to whisper things about the human condition that wouldn't have entered my mind at that age, much less while watching a Batman movie. Then, when I was seventeen, a movie featuring elaborate dreamscapes and philosophical (albeit pop) ponderings seemed to open my star-struck eyes and singlehandedly immerse me into the world of cinephilia. A "Christopher Nolan Film" became a stamp of guaranteed quality, and I earnestly traced his artistic steps back through The Prestige, Memento and Following (which, for what it's worth, I believe today to be one of Nolan's strongest efforts).

Inception seemed almost to bridge the gap between the Blockbuster crowd and the pretentious arthouse types; people who take movies super seriously. Meanwhile, his Dark Knight trilogy seemed to be doing something similar, packaging mature themes and intelligent storytelling into an impossibly crowd-pleasing package. As artists, filmmakers, or even just the average Joe, we all seem to learn somewhere along the way that "you can't please everybody." Was Nolan challenging this assumption?

As I've gotten older (read: obsessively watched hundreds of films), my appreciation of Nolan has sadly but surely depreciated. Much of the so-called mystique in films like The Prestige and Inception began to feel a lot more like smoke and mirrors. The Dark Knight remains a strong contribution to the crime/noir genre, while The Dark Knight Rises was disappointingly shallow. Nolan's apparent need for blatant exposition and on-the-nose dialogue does few, if any favors for the cinematic worlds he boldly crafts. Indeed, his films have begun to seem like fan-service Kubrick knock-offs, with just enough original ambition to keep him on the radars of even the most hardened film critics.

As I watched Interstellar, becoming simultaneously dizzy from scope and fatigued from sub-plots and exposition, one thematic tagline seemed to keep jumping out at me. In Nolan's morally ambiguous exploration of DC superhero property, the hero (anti-hero?) is faced with one underlying question: Is Gotham worth saving? The Dark Knight poses this question with reverent fervor. Amidst political intrigue and exploding hospital buildings, Gotham's inhabitants are treated with incredible dignity and worth. The Joker's facade was only ever as threatening as we, the people enabled it to be. The self-proclaimed "agent of chaos" preyed on our very moral identities, and juggled ethics with typical villainy-type destruction to disturbing effect. The Joker is scary because he speaks to the state of the human condition. The climactic boat sequence is the film's most memorable (and important!) because it delivers what it promises: the moral dignity of the people supposedly worth saving.

There's much more to be said about the Batman character in relation to Harvey Dent and "what the city deserves," but my reason for not delving any deeper is not only because it's basically all been said already. It's also because the inevitable sequel effectively squashed any concern I had for Gotham. The Dark Knight Rises made its priorities apparent when it favored generic plot exposition over the very moral dilemma it set out to solve. The payoff was anti-climactic to say the least. Not only do I think it was a poor film, I think it stumbled short of solving (or at least proving) Batman's obligation to the human condition.

And then, there it is. Gotham blown up to the scale of the earth itself: a dust-ridden, dystopian society where we, the humans have oriented our priorities around our inherent instinct for survival. Interstellar practically sets out to solve the human condition in relation to the cosmos, on the scale of Kubrick's Space Odyssey or Tarkovsky's Solaris. The difference between Nolan and those legendary auteurs, however, is that Nolan doesn't seem to be content with merely posing questions. He needs to send Batman out over the bay with a bomb strapped to his ship. If this isn't inherently a bad thing, it's unsatisfactory because Nolan can't seem to prove that Gotham is worth saving. Or at least, he's not incredibly good at it. The best we get in Interstellar is Anne Hathaway's underdeveloped character deliver some exposition about being guided by "love," which would have probably been pathetic had it been delivered by less of an actress. Kudos, Anne Hathaway! You have taken little and done much.

I hope I'm not coming across as too cynical when I critique Nolan in this regard: my issue has less to do with the message and more with the delivery of it. But on the subject of the message, the third act of the film hammers the nail so deeply into the wood that I'm afraid it loses much of its importance. Is the resolution meant to make us feel proud of ourselves? To cheer the human condition on for being at least capable enough enough to save itself from extinction? Maybe it's my strictly Protestant upbringing talking, but I have trouble buying so easily into a worldview that half-heartedly mixes super-awesome-pseudo-science with vague ideas of love and spiritual importance (a.k.a., more super-awesome-pseudo-science). Again, it's probably more to do with the delivery. Nolan undermines his beautiful imagery and ginormous ideas with character dialogue that basically just explains why he thinks his ideas are ginormous and beautiful. I would pay good money to see an alternate cut of this film that had less Michael Cain and more breathtaking shots of space ships flying past Saturn's rings. It's a small blessing that Morgan Freeman didn't suddenly show up, although a different surprise A-lister cameo was almost just as laughable. (But hey, small gripes.)

It's been over a week since I saw the film, and the dust has mostly settled. What's left is the disappointing notion that, by trying to say too much, Nolan didn't end up saying that much at all. His penchant for smoke and mirrors is at a fevered pitch here, which is not to say there isn't still plenty to appreciate and reflect on. I still admire Nolan for his vision, however I believe it is better served on a smaller, more manageable scale. I owe Christopher Nolan a lot. And though it sounds as pretentious as all hell to admit that I think I've "outgrown" him, I say it also with a sense of gratitude. Nolan hints at greater things, and he asks big questions. He does so with incredible cinematic flair. If his films lead others on a journey deeper into the world of film and critical thought as they did for me, then I'd say he's done his part. I probably won't be rewatching Interstellar, but I will certainly be encouraging others to do so.
three out of five stars. admirable for its ambition but lacking in actual depth. also LOL matt damon.
I don't know if AE is around at all anymore, but I'd love to hear what he thought of it!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Before you read my personal analysis of the film, you should know that, whenever I get into any sort of story (whether it be a movie, book, audio-drama, play, etc.), I always assume that the main worldview of the story is true. That is, if the pretense of the story is that, when people die they simply stop existing, I can accept that and not be too upset about the "souls" of those who may have died during the duration of the story, because (according to the worldview of the story) they didn't have "souls." Basically, as long as a story doesn't change the basic assumptions that it introduced in the exposition, then I don't really have much issue in that regard.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't begin to actually believe in the supposed worldview of every story I hear/see/read, I simply accept that the basic worldview of the story is true, only in regards to the universe in which the story exists, and I can appreciate that as long as the maker(s) of the story don't begin blatantly breaking their own rules (the Twilight saga, anybody?).
Ok, now that I've got my little disclaimer out of the way, we can get into what I actually thought of the film...
Personally, I saw Interstellar as a better executed, updated take on 2001: A Space Odyssey. 2001 was well ahead of its time, and the concepts and visual effects were impressive for the time period in which it was produced (and the score was simply superb). However, it was incredibly poorly done, in that it had very little meaningful dialogue, and the simple fact that the first 30 minutes of the movie consisted of a bunch of apes jumping around, screeching at each other. :mrgreen:

However, I saw Interstellar as an attempt to redeem the concepts explored in 2001, with a much more engaging story line, and much better character development (and, as a result, more emotional appeal), as well as awesome visual effects, audio effects, and a fantastic score (thank you Hans Zimmer \:D/ ). Both movies explored the supposed "Evolution of Man," and both dove head first into inter-dimensional (namely time) travel, as well as touching on artificial intelligence ( :hal: ), and the desperate nature of Mankind when stripped of all real hope.
Now, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate what the makers of 2001: A Space Odyssey were attempting, however, I believe they focused too much on the concepts (as opposed to plot, character development, and dialogue) to really convey the effect they were attempting to convey (the general public needs a good story in order to be engrossed in the concepts of a movie). However, I think Interstellar filled in the holes that 2001 missed.

I think it makes a lot of sense that Interstellar was met with such controversy (as was 2001 when it first premiered), because it explored such weird concepts that we are only beginning to understand, so it's easy to ridicule for being too "outlandish." However, I think it's fair to note that it really isn't as far fetched as we might originally think... They hired theoretical-astrophysicists to help with the entire movie-making process, so they could, as accurately as possible, portray the concepts at hand. I think that, if the human race did "evolve enough" to begin to explore inter-dimensional-space travel, a story such as Interstellar would not be very far off.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: