Cinderella (2015)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Cinderella (2015)

Post by bookworm »

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I LOVE the animated version and am very biased but I have to say that this will get me into the theater.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It just seems completely pointless to me. Sure it might be fun to see a live action version of this classic, but it’s not necessary at all.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yes it's pointless but there isn't much one can do to change or stop it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I think it's going to be amazing \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I agree with bookworm. Sure, live action is cool, but why?

Oh yeah, they'll make millions \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

So far this doesn't look like they've done anything earthshattering with the story, but like Laurie, I also love the classic animated version and will have to see this one too, unless I hear terrible, awful things about it. I hope it will be really good. :D
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I saw this trailer in theaters a while back. It looked interesting. I agree with Laurie. This might get, yes, even me, in the theater to see it. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I'm excited about this because Helena Bohnam Carter plays the fairy godmother \:D/

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:So far this doesn't look like they've done anything earthshattering with the story
And that’s the other thing, when you do these redos, are you supposed to change the story or not? Because on one hand if you don’t change anything and just do a straight remake it makes it seem even more entirely unnecessary because there’s nothing new to it, but then again that could be the point, you might be doing it exactly the same on purpose because the point isn’t to tell a new story, it’s just to have the original one played out by real people. But on the other hand if you’re going to change the story to put some kind of spin on it, what is the point of having it be a remake, just make a new movie.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:So far this doesn't look like they've done anything earthshattering with the story
And that’s the other thing, when you do these redos, are you supposed to change the story or not? Because on one hand if you don’t change anything and just do a straight remake it makes it seem even more entirely unnecessary because there’s nothing new to it, but then again that could be the point, you might be doing it exactly the same on purpose because the point isn’t to tell a new story, it’s just to have the original one played out by real people. But on the other hand if you’re going to change the story to put some kind of spin on it, what is the point of having it be a remake, just make a new movie.
I think it's okay that the original story is being told, presumably with a few twists (from what I could see I liked those twists)

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shennifer wrote:
bookworm wrote:
I think it's okay that the original story is being told, presumably with a few twists (from what I could see I liked those twists)
Yeah, it can be a balancing act to have something original enough that people feel like they should go see something that they've technically kind of seen beforewhile not driving away the dedicated folks who want it to be left untouched. I think that either way can work as long as it's done really well and doesn't take away from who the characters are. If staying the same or a big change is done poorly, nothing can save it. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I had planned to just watch this on dvd sometime eventually to see what it was like, I had no intention of getting in to a theater viewing, but I ended up going to one because my group was together just for the week and wanted to go out.

It was exactly what I expected it to be, so I came away neither disappointed nor impressed. It was fine, but not noteworthy in any way. It was good for what it was, what it was was simply unnecessary. There was no substantial need for this remake other than just to see it with real actors (which might have been the point, which is valid) because the story was hardly changed at all. There were insignificant tweaks to details here and there, but they didn’t change the story, they just added some elements to it in order to fill out the runtime.

My stance is sort of halfway to the one in this review. I get what they’re saying, and I agree that the additions certainly weren’t needed, but I don’t think putting them in was a mistake. Adding the bit where the stepmother colluded with the duke for example could have been left out, but it was fine to put in too, it just padded the plot a bit. Whether it was there or not wouldn’t change the core of what happened.

As I said the movie really isn’t noteworthy, it just is what it is, but a couple moments still stood out. The scene where she gets her magic dress was cool. And I really enjoyed the dance number, which is something I never thought I’d see myself say. I’m not really sure why I liked it, it was neat visually I guess.

While I’m on this I want to be sure to note one thing, though it’s not specific to this movie it’s simply on Cinderella in general. People seem to rip on the glass slipper a lot, saying it’s dumb that finding the girl it fits is the only way they could identify her because it could have fit someone else. I don’t actually think that’s fair though. This isn’t a regular shoe we’re talking about where sure if someone has roughly the same sized foot they could get it on. This is glass, remember. It’s fitted to her exact foot. There is no give in glass, it’s actually quite reasonable to think it will only fit the foot it was formed for. And this movie went even further and said that the magic caused them to refuse to fit anyone else, so that works too. It’s not as dumb a solution as people think. I just want to get that out there.
However, questioning why the slippers stayed glass while everything else changed back at midnight is a valid criticism.

So in summary, while this is worth seeing at some point if you’re a Disney fan, if just to see the classic animated work turned to live action without expecting much else done with it, it’s not a theater must see. It can wait. There’s nothing wrong with it, but there’s nothing great about it either.

I do have to say though that it really turned me around on this whole live action remake thing. I used to be pretty against it, not seeing the point, but now I’m on board. I still think it’s completely unnecessary, but my attitude has changed from ‘so why do it’ to ‘but why not’ because while it might not have been a spectacular film, I have to admit that it was a pretty fun experience to see the animated tale brought to life.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

A friend and I went to see Cinderella last night and we really enjoyed it! \:D/ Like bookworm mentioned, there aren't any big changes to the plot, but I liked the little tweaks that they did make, and I thought that it was very well done overall. Sometimes movies like this get made where they try to change too much and then it ruins the good stuff you were expecting. This had all the good stuff that I was expecting, plus a little more. The dress transformation scene was a highlight, and I liked the way they gave the stepmother a little more back story. Not a lot, but enough to help you understand a little bit more about why she did what she did, though obviously her actions are still not excused.

One little addition they made that I liked was the little magic fairy godmother dust in response to Cinderella's concern about being recognized at the ball. That way they didn't have to rely on everybody turning at just the right moment in a silly way to make it work. If you're willing to accept that a pumpkin can become a golden carriage, then you should be willing to accept that a little magic can stop her stepmother and stepsisters from recognizing her. ;) To comment on what bookworm said about the slippers remaining glass, I think the same explanation applies. If somebody want a story where every little detail fits the reality that they know, Cinderella might not be for them. ;) If somebody doesn't have a problem with the magical creation of the slippers, I can't see why there couldn't be any number of tolerable, imaginative explanations for why the slippers didn't disappear.

The Frozen Fever short at the beginning of the movie was really great! \;D/ I very much enjoyed it. I knew that it existed but I had forgotten, and the friend I went with didn't know about it at all. We both laughed. A lot. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh yeah, the short.
I didn't catch the movie references so at the time of viewing it felt sort of 'flat' to me, like it was just done to capitalize on Frozen fever (which was actually the title) with no real purpose, but later samantha explained it to me and I see now that it did have substance to it.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I saw Cinderella today and I loved it. It was a nice movie and a reward for doing my presentation today :)