Jurassic World

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Jurassic World

Post by bookworm »

A trailer is finally out!

(For additional reference, a very old thread about early production rumors can be found here.)
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

I actually really enjoyed this trailer! \:D/ Hopefully I'll be able to go see it in theaters once it comes out.
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I like that they used the old theme. And STARLORD!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I loved how they played the original theme all slowly and stuff. It brought back happy memories of watching the first one

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't seen any of the Jurassic Park movies, and I only watched the trailer because of Top's post, since I like Chris Pratt. I highly doubt that I will see this in theatres, but I might watch it if it was on Netflix or if a friend really wanted to see it.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Eeehh. I dunno about the movie. But I'll probably end up seeing it. It will probably be as good as the other ones (..they weren't 'totally amazing' themselves). And I am happy to see that they actually used the original theme as well. I hope they use it in the actual movie. It's about time a movie keep original music. >_> ...I mean, if it's good (classic), why change it?
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I am happy to see that they actually used the original theme as well. I hope they use it in the actual movie. It's about time a movie keep original music. >_> ...I mean, if it's good (classic), why change it?
snubs wrote:Every time I watch the Jurassic Park movies I get so annoyed at the repeated theme that plays throughout ALL.THREE.MOVIES. >_>
:?:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:I am happy to see that they actually used the original theme as well. I hope they use it in the actual movie. It's about time a movie keep original music. >_> ...I mean, if it's good (classic), why change it?
snubs wrote:Every time I watch the Jurassic Park movies I get so annoyed at the repeated theme that plays throughout ALL.THREE.MOVIES. >_>
:?:
It is annoying. But it's classic. ;) My siblings and I make fun of the movies (and the dramatic theme) every time we watch them. I heard a really good rendition of the theme, and the slowed down piano version they did in the trailer was nice (so it's not like I HATE the song). I'm just saying Jurassic Park wouldn't be Jurassic Park with out that theme.*nods*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm very excited to see this movie. I absolutely love the Jurassic Park series. I just think the concept is so cool. A company taking on this insane idea and then thinking hey this is great for research and all that but we should open a zoo! And then of course everything goes wrong.

The first is my favorite of course, but I really like all of them. I don't get the hate the other two movies get, I thought they were every bit as good as the first. Of course they aren't as classic, no sequel is, but they were just as fun.
That's all the series is supposed to be, fun. I mean the plot is 'dinosaurs come back to life and wreak havoc.'

The first one of course sets everything up and then has general dino destruction.
The second one said adventures on the island are cool, but it would be great to bring the dinosaurs over to civilization, so we got that.
Then the third one said you know what, we haven't had any flying or swimming dinosaurs, so they put those in.
And now this new one says what if the park is finally opened and chaos breaks out there?

So I don't see it as unnecessarily milking the franchise or anything like that, they're playing out all the different possibilities the story provides. I say the more the better, I love it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

snubs wrote:It will probably be as good as the other ones (..they weren't 'totally amazing' themselves).
I guess by today's standards its just average, but the first film really was "totally amazing" in 1993. It was the first movie to really get CGI down right and have real looking creatures on screen. Nothing like that had ever been done before (and the plot was fun enough).

The sequels though are just okay followups. I liked the Lost World (lol evil Vince Vaughn), by the time the third one was out it wasn't anything special at all. Still a fun enough movie but nothing to write home about (especially if you watch it at home--a waste of a stamp).
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:The first is my favorite of course, but I really like all of them. I don't get the hate the other two movies get, I thought they were every bit as good as the first. Of course they aren't as classic, no sequel is, but they were just as fun.
That's all the series is supposed to be, fun. I mean the plot is 'dinosaurs come back to life and wreak havoc.'
I think all three were good too (I seem them all pretty equal). Neither of them went 'way down' (or way up) on my scale when comparing them.
The Top Crusader wrote:
snubs wrote:It will probably be as good as the other ones (..they weren't 'totally amazing' themselves).
I guess by today's standards its just average, but the first film really was "totally amazing" in 1993. It was the first movie to really get CGI down right and have real looking creatures on screen. Nothing like that had ever been done before (and the plot was fun enough).
Oh, yeah, I agree. They were pretty fantastic for the time. I'm just talking about my personal preference when it comes to movies, plots, characters, etc. But I do enjoy the movies. Even after seeing them several times over.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Finally seeing a trailer for this has made me decide to watch the trilogy again, which I’ve been wanting to do for a while already anyway.
I see the MPA says we don’t have threads on any of them yet somehow, so I will start them so discussion on the specific films is more organized instead of just being piled in this thread, and then use them when I’m ready to give my own thoughts on each. :)
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

...why...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

New trailer!

Speculation that the raptors get trained confirmed. Not a fan of the idea. Still really excited for the movie though!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Is there a reason why they didn't just shoot it with a sufficiently powerful missile?
(I know hardly anything about the Jurassic park world, so there very well could be a good in world justification.)
this is my sig, but it is not attached by default, because I think I am too good for a signature all the time, or something. (More likely something).
I am totally not a sockpuppet of Marvin D.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Probably too dangerous with so many people in the park or something.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I kinda for forgot about this... I still would like to see it. My hype has gone down a little bit after watching that new trailer though.

EDIT: June 10, 2015 6:57PM

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I liked this quite a bit. It's continuing how each sequel has put a new spin on the story. The twist this time is the park is actually open and there are people there when things go wrong.

I didn't get why they changed the name of the movie at first, but I understand it in the story now. I get that they rebranded the park to distance themselves from the terrible failures of the original attempt, that makes perfect sense. As I said in reviewing the other movies, those kinds of details of the business end of the park add depth to the story, I really like it.

I liked the reasoning of the new dinosaur's behavior. It didn't go on a rampage just because, it was because of how it was raised. How he explained that now that it's out of its pen and seeing there's a bigger world it needs to figure out its place in it so it's killing everything to assert dominance, I thought that was really good. It keeps the running theme that these people simply have no idea what they're doing and that their bad ideas have major consequences. When you think you can just do whatever you want with these creatures because you just want to make money, this is what happens. You have to have respect, or at minimum an understanding for the dinosaurs and how they function.

Dr. Wu was interesting. It was cool to have an original character back, that he would have stuck on the project after all that had happened. But the reveal he was working with Ingen took me by surprise. It always seemed he was doing this just for the scientific advancement, but apparently he has some other agenda.

I thought it was strange they killed off the new park owner already, it seems like that could have used him to transition into the next movie, since there's going to be major fallout from this. It looked like they finally got the park working, but no it's still a disaster. I don't know where they're going from here or how they plan to get there.

Training the raptors wasn't the best idea, but it wasn't as terrible as I initially thought after seeing how it was used. If it was just that Owen started training the park's raptors to take down the hybrid that would have been ridiculous. But because these were his raptors he had already been working with since they hatched it is reasonable that they developed a bond. And it wasn't complete like 'oh they're pets now and will never attack humans again', they turned right around which was good. Then yes they turned back, but as I said it was because that bond was there. They were figuring out who to align with, the new dino that obviously is the most powerful alpha but they don't know anything about, or the guy that has been interacting with them all their lives. I thought it was a very reasonable way to handle it. So I was originally against the training idea, but now I think it was alright. I don't approve of it, I think it would have been better to just drop the idea, but if they had to do it I approve of this way of doing it.

I liked that Ingen is still playing politics even though they don't run the park anymore, that's exactly right for their 'character'. (Even though it's a nebulous company, I see the collective as one entity in these movies because their agenda and persona is clearly defined.) They don't have official say anymore, but that's not going to stop them from injecting themselves into operations. They are the quintessential 'will never learn, and just don't care'. Their ignorance and/or arrogance is at a level that nears infuriating, which is perfect for these stories because while it should be clearly apparent to everyone why continuing this project will never mean anything but bad news they're just 'No, we're doing this.' They not only continue to play god, but constantly increase the level at which they do it.

I'm excited to see more movies continue this story to whatever places it can be taken.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Finally got around to seeing this, and I really liked it.
Loved the new story, and new characters, and of course, the nostalgic references

I think it's good Owen knew that, even though he'd worked with these raptors a long time, they weren't his pets or completely under his control. They're still animals with animal instincts, no matter what

missed a minute or two, but nothing too important thankfully

Till the end of the line.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I hoped a lawyer would be eaten off a toilet again. :(