Jurassic World

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Catspaw wrote:I haven't seen any of the Jurassic Park movies, and I only watched the trailer because of Top's post, since I like Chris Pratt. I highly doubt that I will see this in theatres, but I might watch it if it was on Netflix or if a friend really wanted to see it.
...So, a few years later, this has come true! \:D/ I still haven't seen any of the original three movies, but currently Jurassic World is on Netflix and my cousin was over to watch a movie, and since neither of us had seen Jurassic World yet and were somewhat interested, I have not officially watched it! \:D/

It was pretty fun. I didn't know some stuff connected to the old movies, but it was pretty obvious at some points they were referring back and stuff. As far as action-adventure movies with big violent creatures go, it wasn't too icky or too stupid. I enjoyed it enough to watch the sequel, though that might not happen in theatres at this point.

I am familiar with the theme music, between the Piano Guys (great link, snubs!) and Straight No Chaser (who added lyrics which I heard in my head when I heard the main theme in the movie). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjO2SNKCIPY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I didn't know some stuff connected to the old movies, but it was pretty obvious at some points they were referring back and stuff.
Yeah you don't have to have seen the original movie to get this one, but you'll appreciate the connections more if you have.

I would recommend seeing the first three movies before seeing Jurassic World 2 though, the basis of the plot of that one is more directly connected to the original story than it was here. I think it would be better to have seen it firsthand then just piece things together.

And you should see them anyway, the original movie is a genuine classic. And a very different kind of movie, by the way. As the series went on they became more generic monster movies with a lot of action scenes, but in the first one it's more suspense of knowing the dinosaurs are out there and a threat but they're not constantly attacking people. The focus of the movie is the characters and ideas, it's really good.
The other two aren't very fondly remembered by most people, but I personally thought they were a lot of fun in their own ways, though acknowledge they aren't as great of movies as the original.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I didn't know some stuff connected to the old movies, but it was pretty obvious at some points they were referring back and stuff.
Yeah you don't have to have seen the original movie to get this one, but you'll appreciate the connections more if you have.

I would recommend seeing the first three movies before seeing Jurassic World 2 though, the basis of the plot of that one is more directly connected to the original story than it was here. I think it would be better to have seen it firsthand then just piece things together.

And you should see them anyway, the original movie is a genuine classic. And a very different kind of movie, by the way. As the series went on they became more generic monster movies with a lot of action scenes, but in the first one it's more suspense of knowing the dinosaurs are out there and a threat but they're not constantly attacking people. The focus of the movie is the characters and ideas, it's really good.
The other two aren't very fondly remembered by most people, but I personally thought they were a lot of fun in their own ways, though acknowledge they aren't as great of movies as the original.
It's interesting that the sequel links more to the old movies than the first one. Thanks for the info, bookworm. I usually prefer to see things in order so I have the background info, but since this was a reboot done so much later, I figured I was safe skipping the old ones. I wouldn't mind seeing them one day.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:It's interesting that the sequel links more to the old movies than the first one.
It is interesting, but also makes sense in a way because the two new movies are very different in focus and plot type. The first was based on the old movies in as much as it's a revival of the park and everything that got established there, but for its actual story it kind of did its own thing. The connections to the previous movies could be understood in generalities and be good enough. Funner if you saw them and got the details, but fine if you didn't. Its purpose was to set up a rebooted location and have an adventure there, it's pretty self contained. The sequel now looks to expand the overall plot, so its going to be more connected. The story is tied into some specific characters, events, and ideas from the original movies, adding to previously established lore. The this-movie-specific things aren't so tied in that it's imperative to see the other movies first to follow this one along for what it is, but they are needed to fully understand and appreciate how things from these new movies fit into the big picture of the full story of the franchise as a whole.