NBC's live musicals

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

NBC's live musicals

Post by bookworm »

NBC is preparing to air another one of their live musical productions, Peter Pan Live starring Allison Williams and Christopher Walken on December 4th.

When they did their first one, The Sound of Music Live starring Carrie Underwood last year, I thought it was just a one time thing they were doing for the holiday season, but actually it’s planned to be a new feature for the network with a different show being put on every year. It’s an interesting idea.

Did anyone watch the one last year or planning to watch this one?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't watched the Sound of Music production from last year, but it sounded really interesting so I bought the DVD. I haven't watched it yet, but I let my best friend borrow it and she really, really loved it. She's already a Sound of Music fan and a Carrie Underwood fan, so I figured she would like it, but she gave it back to me saying that she would have kept it longer but she had watched it and decided to buy her own copy because she enjoyed it so much! I really want to see it. Once I get around to doing that, I can post my own thoughts.

The Peter Pan production sounds neat, and I hope that it's really good! I would like to see it at some point. I don't get the right channels to be able to watch it live, but at some point I'll probably see it.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I think I was planning on checking out last year's (not to watch the whole thing but just to see part).. but never did. I can't say I'm 'planning' to see this year's production, but if I remember I'll probably watch some of it... if only to just laugh at it. =p *hides* Stage/theater productions always make me chuckle a little bit.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I watched part of last year's and didn't enjoy it very much, but it's probably because I'm a fan of the Julie Andrews movie. But I'm curious to see how this one will play out, so I'll try to remember to watch it.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought The Sound of Music production was good last year; it wasn’t spectacular but it was fun.
I think Peter Pan looks neat, I’ll be checking it out.

Catspaw wrote:I don't get the right channels to be able to watch it live, but at some point I'll probably see it.
Last year’s was on Hulu for a while after airing, I’m sure this one will be too.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I don't get the right channels to be able to watch it live, but at some point I'll probably see it.
Last year’s was on Hulu for a while after airing, I’m sure this one will be too.
As a Canadian, unless something changed recently, that actually won't be helpful to me, but I guess I'll check when the time comes.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh I didn't realize Hulu had country restrictions. I thought of that, but thought they didn't.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yep, I just went on Hulu to check, and just by going to hulu.com I immediately got a pop-up explaining:

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.
I'm not holding my breath. ;) Geoblocking can be annoying, but I get that there can be rights issues and stuff. I don't really feel like I'm "international" here in Canada, but apparently all the lawyers think that I am. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really enjoyed this! It was well done and entertaining.

I especially liked the pirate scenes. Hook’s dialogue was great, the rhyming, alliteration, and word play.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I watched the Peter Pan one. Didn't really like it very much. I mean, it was neat for a live thing, but.. *sigh* I think it's just because I really like Peter Pan. I've read the book a couple times. I think my favorite retelling of it is the movie Peter Pan from 2003. (Though I did like the OUAT season of Peter Pan even though they completely changed his story) This live production added a bit of nonsense, but it's really not a big deal. I'm just being annoying cause Peter Pan is my thing.

I did like the pirates and Lost Boys scenes. To be honest, the first time I saw the Lost Boys I thought, "One Direction? o_O" But they were pretty cool. Hook was ehh.. He was okay at times, but he really just looked bored to me.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, I found out I’m pretty much the only person on the planet that thought it was any good. >_>
I’m glad your qualms were about the story itself rather than the production though, because I can get that. I personally am not a fan of Peter Pan, so when this made the story engaging and fun for me that’s why I found it good. But lots of people are bashing the actual production which I think is really unfair, it was well done.

I agree Hook was a bit listless, but I don’t think he was bored, more like tired. I think Christopher Walken unfortunately just got worn out by all the preparation and promotion. I still thought he was good though, just maybe could have been better. Still loved his performance.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Yeah, now that I think of it, it was more like he was tired than bored.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Next up, The Wiz Live on December 3rd.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for the info, bookworm! I hadn't heard that yet. It looks like it could be fun! :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'll be checking it out, but only because it's part of this series. If it were a stand alone event I don't know if I would, I know nothing about this show.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I know it's not NBC, but Fox is airing a live production of Grease in January. :) Julianne Hough, CarlyRae Jepsen, and Vanessa Hudgens play some of the principal roles, so they're definitely going for the celebrity stars to raise the status of the production. Fortunately, they've got an actual Broadway performer (Aaron Tveit) as Danny Zuko, so that will help. :P
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My appreciation of Grease is limited to a few songs, not the entire production, but that does sound like a fun event too, H Tide! :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

(New thread created for further discussion of Fox's show.)

This was a really well done production. The costumes and makeup were excellent, especially the detail on the Tin Man. And the sets were impressive. I liked the animatronic wizard head. Good performances too. The songs were fine. They were sung well, I just didn't personally get really into most of them, but they weren't boring.

I did think So You Wanted to Meet the Wizard was a great number.

(alternate video link)

I'm glad to see that unlike the previous shows this one is getting a lot of praise.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm glad that it was a good production! I'm sure that I won't have a chance to see it for a while, but I'm looking forward to it more now that I've heard good things from you, bookworm. :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Next up is Hairspray Live on December 7th.