[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Post subject: Re: NBC's live productions
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:34 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,105.11
Bank: 1,958.31
Thanks for the info and link, bookworm. It looks like it could be a fun production, though the promo was pretty short.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:35 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Cash: 776.38
Bank: 53,459.96
Yeah, they've never really shown anything about the shows they're just to introduce the cast I guess.

Like last year's I'm not familiar with this show, but will check it out as part of this series.

Offline Profile  

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:41 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

I've never seen the original film, but I have seen the movie that came out a few years ago and mostly enjoyed it. I'm not expecting any big plot departures. There are some fun songs! I would like to see this production, since live musical productions are pretty cool. :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:26 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Cash: 776.38
Bank: 53,459.96
I enjoyed this quite a bit. It was well performed and a good production. I wasn't familiar with the show going in, but I liked it. It's still a timely story of rejecting prejudice against race and weight.

This was a big move away from stage sets like their past productions were to real sets, including shooting outside on a lot. I'm curious if that was a direct response to Fox doing that for Grease or if they would have changed it for this one anyway.

One thing I didn't really like was their continually taking focus off the show to hype up being a live event by cutting to various viewing parties. This shouldn't have to be a gimmick like that, the show you're putting on should be able to highlight the broadcast itself. That was my main criticism of Fox's production, too much of a sense of self importance about the details of the live production rather than the actual show they were producing.

The behind the scenes looks at the commercial breaks were obviously influenced by Fox doing that during their show, including a direct copy of showing the cast run off one set and get on carts to race to another set during the commercial. It didn't need all that, that was my least favorite part of the Fox production and I've never thought the NBC ones needed to start doing it, just put on a good show and show that.

The show itself was well done and I enjoyed it, it's just how it was presented that put me slightly off. But it was probably to be expected after Fox's show got a lot of praise while NBC's haven't been well received for whatever reason, so they're going to try to copy what they thought made the other work and apparently they thought it was having a host constantly interject to hype up the live-ness. I disagree, but I get why they did it.

Something I thought was neat about the broadcast, though it's not about the actual show, is some of the companies that had commercials during the night embraced the context and did live ads in the style of those older times the story is set in.

NBC is doing a great job finding these unknowns capable of headlining the shows, last year Shanice Williams in The Wiz and now with Maddie Baillio. They didn't get overwhelmed by the production, sang really well, and had the right presence for the roll. One critical note on performances that stood out to me in this one though was Ariana Grande. I liked her acting parts, but I actually thought she was rather underwhelming in her singing parts. She wasn't bad, but I definitely expected more of an impact since she's a famous professional singer, but she seemed oddly subdued to me.

Anyway as a whole this was a solid production, overall the best so far in the series.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: NBC's live musicals
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

I had totally lost track of this, so I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it, bookworm! :D I would like to see it at some point, so I'll have to see if I can soon. I agree that showing viewing parties over the actual production seems silly. Hopefully future shows won't continue that.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2