Oscars 2015

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Oscars 2015

Post by bookworm »

The results are in; discuss.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Of the winners, I have only seen The Imitation Game, which I am glad it won best screenplay based on previously written material

Otherwise, I really cant' comment other than to say I like Neil Patrick Harris and his hosting

Till the end of the line.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I still think The Lego Movie deserved a nomination, and even the award. That's pretty much my only opinion.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ve never had anything to do with the Oscars, last year was the first time I’d ever watched them and this year I didn’t watch except for the very end. I was interested in seeing the winners though, but not as in invested interest, just because it’s news.
I only had two takeaways of my own:

I join the rest of the world that was speechless by the unfathomable snub of The Lego Movie. I think it could have legitimately contended for best picture, it was a given for best animated, but didn’t get even nominated for either? What an absolute joke.

And the other is that I have never pretended to have any idea how the Academy works, but this just confirms that cluelessness.
bookworm wrote:I’ve never tried to predict Oscar winners before because I have no idea what goes through the minds of the Academy when they’re looking for nominees, but I am calling this one right now. This film [Noah] wins the 2015 award for Best Visual Effects. It’s a lock.
Not only did it not win, obviously, but it wasn’t even nominated. I do not understand; everything in this movie was computer generated!
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

bookworm wrote:I’ve never had anything to do with the Oscars, last year was the first time I’d ever watched them and this year I didn’t watch except for the very end. I was interested in seeing the winners though, but not as in invested interest, just because it’s news.
I only had two takeaways of my own:

I join the rest of the world that was speechless by the unfathomable snub of The Lego Movie. I think it could have legitimately contended for best picture, it was a given for best animated, but didn’t get even nominated for either? What an absolute joke.

And the other is that I have never pretended to have any idea how the Academy works, but this just confirms that cluelessness.
bookworm wrote:I’ve never tried to predict Oscar winners before because I have no idea what goes through the minds of the Academy when they’re looking for nominees, but I am calling this one right now. This film [Noah] wins the 2015 award for Best Visual Effects. It’s a lock.
Not only did it not win, obviously, but it wasn’t even nominated. I do not understand; everything in this movie was computer generated!
Did you see Interstellar though? The special effects in it were amazing, and it deserved the award.
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I did not see Interstellar, but that’s not the point. I’m sure it deserved to win, because it did, my confusion is how can a movie that was literally 98% special effects not even be nominated?
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

bookworm wrote:I did not see Interstellar, but that’s not the point. I’m sure it deserved to win, because it did, my confusion is how can a movie that was literally 98% special effects not even be nominated?
I'm not sure, but then again the Oscar's barely ever make any sense. =P
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Wait.

Caring about the Oscars is a thing?
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I heard about the opening song so I looked it up; that was cool.

And J.K. Simmons’ speech was pretty great.