Ant Man

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Ant Man

Post by bookworm »

snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

This looks like a joke. That's what I thought when I first saw the trailer. =p

*dies*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Interesting; that’s what I thought until I saw the trailer. Just hearing the idea it sounds silly, but this made it look like it might actually be something. I don’t know how substantive, but it at least looks like a neat visual experience.
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Yeah, my mom was like, "Ant Man?? Really? That will be cool [insert sarcasm here]" But for reals now... I saw the trailer while watching Age of Ultron, and I actually would be interested in watching it. So yah...
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hank Pym is awesome and it's a shame he doesn't have his rightful place among the Avengers already (founding member and creator of Ultron in the comics, but Stark gets all the credit in film :(), but the movie focus on Scott Lang and has Pym as an old dude, so... it's going for something different, I guess. I generally trust what they are doing with the MCU and while I don't think Ant Man will be a bad film, I don't see it being anything astounding, either. To be fair no one expected a lot out of Guardians of the Galaxy and that ended up being a pretty big deal.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Is this part of the MCU? I've heard both yes and no.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It is. But there wont be a lot of interconnection with the rest of the Universe.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, Ant Man has been spotted on the set of Cap 3.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Saw this tonight with my cousins. it was a lot of fun, as well as heartwarming moments
Great Falcon cameo :)
overall, good movie. End credits scenes were amazing too \:D/

especially the one with Sam, Steve, and Bucky. I hope our Winter Soldier is okay

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw the movie last night with some friends, and we all really enjoyed it! It was funnier than I had expected, and it had some very sweet moments as well. I went in thinking it would be decent, and I came out thinking that it was really good! Very enjoyable. :yes:

Yes, like Shennifer implied, it is definitely worth staying until the very end! :D Good stuff.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn't get to Avengers 2 in the theater so I'm slightly behind the main MCU storyline, but since this movie seemed to be connected but not involved, at least yet, I went ahead and saw it.

I enjoyed it well enough. It wasn't quite as fun as I had expected, but I did have a good time. As far as the plot and how it was developed, it was pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be, which was okay in a way because I wasn't let down, but disappointing in another way because there wasn't any extra substance thrown in as like a bonus. It was just watching everything I expected to happen happen, then it ended.

Whatever the movie itself was like, I fully expected the visuals to be a great experience, and they definitely were. Whenever he was small the look was so cool, especially in some particular scenes: When he was running through that model city getting shot at, The beginning of the fight with Yellowjacket when one was small and one was still big, The fight inside the briefcase was an amazing sequence, and the entirety of the fight in the bedroom was great.

I definitely did not expect to see Falcon, that was very cool.

I caught foreshadowing (or development if it's started already, I don't know since I haven't seen Ultron) of the growing tensions between Cap and Stark in the end credit scene. Civil War setup.

I don't remember seeing either joke about the name in the actual movie, were they? If not, it's strange they would make those scenes just for the trailer as if they thought that was what would get people interested, when the reactions I saw were the exact opposite. People were complaining precisely because of those two lines, saying it was just ripping off the joke from Guardians of the Galaxy about the name.
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

I didn't realize that Ant Man and the Avengers[or at least a few of the Avengers] would be connected...Is it vital to see Ant Man? Like would not watching it leave gaps in the next few movies involved with the Avengers?
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Nah, it's really just a neat cameo in Ant-man during the actual film and a little teaser at the end but I don't think its anything that important to overall storyarcs.

We got our first mention of Spider-man in this as well which I guess is cool. \:D/
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Ah, I see...Just making sure =P I still want to watch it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get around to doing it any time soon sooo...Yeah...Thanks btw ;)
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Paula wrote:Is it vital to see Ant Man? Like would not watching it leave gaps in the next few movies involved with the Avengers?
It doesn’t look like Avengers as much as Captain America so far. The only connection in this movie was an introduction to Falcon, so just beginning the connection of their storylines. The end credit scene suggests that Falcon thinks Antman should join up with Cap, so I assume that will be expanded on in his (Cap's) next solo movie, and that will eventually integrate him (Antman) into the Avengers storyline proper.
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

bookworm wrote:
Paula wrote:Is it vital to see Ant Man? Like would not watching it leave gaps in the next few movies involved with the Avengers?
It doesn’t look like Avengers as much as Captain America so far. The only connection in this movie was an introduction to Falcon, so just beginning the connection of their storylines. The end credit scene suggests that Falcon thinks Antman should join up with Cap, so I assume that will be expanded on in his (Cap's) next solo movie, and that will eventually integrate him (Antman) into the Avengers storyline proper.
Oooh...So Antman will be introduced again...Okay that makes more sense :yes: I have no idea who Falcon is, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough =P
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I really hate all these super hero movies being interconnected. >_>
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Paula wrote:I have no idea who Falcon is, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough =P
Falcon is Captain America's sidekick from Winter Soldier.
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

snubs wrote:I really hate all these super hero movies being interconnected. >_>
xDDD Yeah, now I have to go to the Theater every day =P
bookworm wrote:
Paula wrote:I have no idea who Falcon is, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough =P
Falcon is Captain America's sidekick from Winter Soldier.
Oooooooh...I know him! I guess I just blanked on his name...But yeah that's cool I definitely want to watch Ant man now...
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

The Top Crusader wrote:Nah, it's really just a neat cameo in Ant-man during the actual film and a little teaser at the end but I don't think its anything that important to overall storyarcs.
I think there's a subtle explanation you can glean from the movie as to how Hydra initially infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. They don't make a big deal of it, but it definitely seems to be there, and that's pretty important for understanding the MCU as a whole.

I thought the movie was excellent. I went in with fairly low expectations, though, so that's probably why I was so impressed. I wasn't expecting anything great, but I walked away feeling similar to how I did after GotG was over: awesome use of humor and awesome job getting me to like characters I didn't know if I could like. I also loved the character development that went on between Hope and Dr. Pym. Their parts were very well-acted. And I liked that there was a parallel father-daughter relationship going on for Scott as well. It was very heartwarming.

Overall, I thought it balanced humor, action, and plot very well. It was an awesome introduction to the character, and it left me wanting more -- especially after the end credits scenes were over. ;)