The Peanuts movie

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
The Peanuts movie

Post by Catspaw »

It looks like we don't have a thread for the Peanuts movie yet! :mad:

I saw it with a friend tonight and we both really enjoyed it! The story is very sweet and fits nicely with the comics. The tone feels right. It doesn't feel forced or like they tried to make the character something they're not to "update" the story like sometimes happens. It was perfectly delightful! :yes:
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I WANNA SEE THIS. I REALLY WANT TO. I've been printing coloring pages of Peanuts characters and I'm gonna have my 1st graders color them and then we're going to decorate our classroom with them. =D
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Thanks for making this topic, Cats! I mean, Catspaw, your majesty. :) I'll take any opportunity to talk about this movie.
Despite my mile-high expectations, this amazed me. This is Blue Sky's first particularly excellent film since Horton Hears a Who and, not suprisingly, from the same director, Steve Martino.

It's pretty true to the characters. Franklin doesn't show his relaxed, cool side, he mostly delivers lines anyone could say, but at least he's in there. Pig Pen, it's sad how few strips and cartoons he's in and they used him hilariously. They did cutesy it up. Snoopy was more loyal and considerate than the strip but oh well, a more marketable Snoopy but still Snoopy. Charile Brown is a bit too cheery, smiling ruefully often and bemoaning his lot rather less. It was overall more optimistic than Schulz's strip which strikes chord between true nihilism and hope. Still, it still had a lot of that cynical yet happy Peanuts atmosphere. As for the actors, they all excelled. Handing a movie to kids is always a huge risk that should be taken and boy did it pay off. Also, (spoiler) Heather (the Little Red Haired Girl) talked! AAAAH!

As for the animation, it was incredible. Just incredible. It was somewhat like stop motion in the range of movement, for instance, and the clothes have pronounced stitching like they're doll clothes. However, sometimes rangeo f motion gets broader and it also has a cg look as well, with amazing textures. There's also a lot of line drawing influence. Like the in shorts, the backgrounds are completely still. And the characters just look so perfect, so 3D and still so themselves just different in a great way. And blending animation with comic strip tricks, such as lines to indicate movement, thought clouds, etc is groundbreaking. This is animation. This is what animation can do. This is, dare I say it, Disney levels of sophistication, beauty, and excellence.

I know I've gushed about this movie enough and I actually do have some crabs real quick. Biggest? Snoopy's red baron flights are clearly flights of fantasy. In the strip, it has a Calvin and Hobbes things going. In fact, other characters even ride it, such as Peppermint Patty, Marcie, and Schroeder. Though they have a good reason for claiming they're a fantasy, it takes a bit of the fun, wonder and cleverness out of it.

Anyhow, I can't imagine anyone will read all that but it was fun just writing it. Bottom line, if you're a Peanuts fan at all or curious to see what this American institution is about, see this movie!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, you did a little more analysis than I did, Pound Foolish! I read all of it. :D I agree that the Snoopy adventure parts could have been done a little differently, but since the movie was so good overall, it doesn't really bother me. Peanuts existed for so many years that the tone wasn't the same throughout all of it, and the movie does capture more of the sweetness and a little less of the "woe is me" Charlie Brown, but for the movie, I really liked it.

Kaida, that sounds like fun! You're definitely going to have to find a way to see the movie, or at least rent or buy it when the DVD eventually is available! :D
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Oh yeah, it was super good, Your Ornery. :D And hey, we if I want movies and cartoon shorts focusing on the sadder side of Peanuts, I've got them. Lots of them. So what the hey.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Great start to the Newspaper Comics Page Cinematic Universe.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Kaida wrote:I WANNA SEE THIS. I REALLY WANT TO. I've been printing coloring pages of Peanuts characters and I'm gonna have my 1st graders color them and then we're going to decorate our classroom with them. =D
I really wanna see it toooo. But sadly, I still have yet to watch it. =\ I wanted to see it in the theater, but now that is highly unlikely. I don't even know if they are playing it still..
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I saw this a couple weeks ago, and it was really sweet. Just an all around adorable movie, even for someone who never really grew up with the comics. It was updated just the right amount, while still keeping true to the spirit of Peanuts.