The Passion

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Passion

Post by bookworm »

Live on Fox, March 20th

Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Saw this and thought, "Ooh! The Passion of the Christ is going to be on TV!"
But no.
:evil:
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

This is a Passion of the Christ though. =p You'd really want the Mel Gibson movie on TV? o___0

I just saw with my youth group tonight, and it was pretty good. The actors and singers were really good, although it was odd seeing 50-year-old Michael W. Smith with all these young guys. :lol: Both tenors, Jesus and Peter, were incredibly high... o___0 But I guess that's male singers now adays. The story was based around songs, not new songs, but a collection of popular songs and others that mostly fit the scene. Not all of the songs did, and I almost wished they had just written new material.... =/ It was also confusing, as each passion scene was interrupted by rather dull storytelling or a carrying of a cross. It was cool, but distracting as well. It was a pretty moving experience, but it could have been better. ;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It sounds interesting. I hope I'll have a chance to see it. I know that Michael W. Smith was a part of it, and I've enjoyed his music for many years, so that got me interested originally.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

Ahh yes, he is in it.. but he doesn't sing at all. :P Well... he might, but it wouldn't be a solo or anything. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wasn't sure what to make of this from the commercial, but it was quite good.

I thought Judas stole the show. He portrayed the inner conflict well in his solo number. And the betrayal scene was especially well done; the song choice made for a great duet, and a powerful moment when Judas interrupted "This is my kingdom come."

My criticism would be that the program was only partially about the show being put on, it was more about the event that was happening arround it. That is, it was aware that this was a production and didn't try to hide it, in fact it highlighted it. Holding interviews with the people carrying the cross and cutting away from the songs to show reactions of people in the audience. I personally would have preferred a more exclusive focus on the musical. I liked the modern Passion narrative, but interrupting it to remind you it was a part of that live event kept breaking my connection to it.

That said, I do think as an event this was a good and important thing to do and I'm glad they did it. It was a good way to share the Gospel with people.

If you weren't able to watch it live the show can still be seen on the Fox website at the moment.