Star Wars: Rogue One

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Star Wars: Rogue One

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Looks pretty cool, I like the old-school feel. Much as I enjoyed Episode VII, it was good to see classic storm troopers again.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Looks good! :D December is a still far away, but I definitely will be going to see this. Of course, I knew that before I even saw the trailer. ;) I'm definitely curious where this storyline goes!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 08 Apr 2016 09:49 am --

I think it looks pretty good as well, and I like this time period for the setting. Should be a cool story that adds to the context of the original trilogy.

-- 16 Aug 2016 02:50 pm --

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I like the new trailer, and I'm eagerly awaiting the adventure! :yes: It looks so good!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes it looks so good! I'm possibly even more excited for this one than I was for Episode VII! This is a place in the timeline I really want to see more of, life under the Empire and the rise of the Rebellion, and it's going to be cool to see the story of how they got the Death Star plans that set off New Hope.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Yay! The trailer looks pretty neat; it'll be interesting to see if it lives up to expectations.

Altough phooey on George Lucas for giving us spoilers for" Rogue One" in "A New Hope" :x I was going to be on the edge of my seat wondering if the rebels actually stole the Death Star plans, but no, he had to go and give it all away..30 years ago!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My first reaction when I heard where this would be in the timeline was "We'll finally learn why so many Bothans died" but then realized no, that was Death Star II.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw Rogue One in theatres yesterday, and it was very good! \:D/ My brother and I both really enjoyed it and thought it was an excellent addition to the Star Wars movies. The story fits in nicely and makes great use of familiar info while adding a lot more good stuff.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I saw it yesterday. It was pretty good. *nods* I liked Force Awakens better, but it was still another Star Wars movie. =) I loved what Giacchino did with the Star Wars theme, but the rest of the music was a bit meh. I heard it's because Disney really rushed him on it. o_0
I also liked how they tried to clean up some plot holes in the Originals by explaining why the Death Star was so simple to destroy. It wasn't a super creative answer, but it at least got the job done. My only big complaint is I feel there wasn't a ton of characterization... like, I finished the movie, and I didn't remember any character's names. I remember feeling the same way after Force Awakens (and most of the SW movies seem like this, come to think of it), which can kinda be annoying. And Tarkan bothered me for a little while... I think it's because his face wasn't pointy enough and he wasn't pale enough. Also, did Darth Vader sounds really different to you? I guess it's because they kept the same actor and he's old now. :P
Last edited by Pianoman on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

IT WAS AWESOME!!! However the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin totally ruined it for me, I noticed it was CGI a few seconds after they showed his face. Then I got completely distracted by it.
Saw it on opening night, we arrived two hours before the first showing only to find out that they had sold out of tickets for that showing, so we ended up waiting another hour to watch it in the second showing. It's awesome to be in the theater with a bunch of nerds who clap for the Lucasfilm logo! Oh, and I agree, after the intro the soundtrack was kind of 'meh.'
Yo
Parakeet

Post by Parakeet »

im excited to see it :) we're planning on going sometime during holiday break... i heard something about there being no theme song or something? also my dad said its gonna be one long war story, idk if ill be able to keep track *_* but im still excited!!!
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Mariogeek wrote:IT WAS AWESOME!!! However the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin totally ruined it for me, I noticed it was CGI a few seconds after they showed his face. Then I got completely distracted by it.
I find this very interesting because after we got home my brother saw online that he was CGI, and we were both surprised to find that out. We had been avoiding spoilers so we didn't know in advance, and we both had commented on how great he looked, but assumed that it was due to awesome prosthetic/make-up/movie magic and had no idea it was CGI. I expect that I will probably see the movie in theatres again in the next couple of weeks, so this time I want to pay more attention to see what I think now that I know, but to me, he looked good!

HisPrincess, there's no crawl at the beginning of the movie....the words that usually crawl across the screen at the every beginning of a Star Wars movie giving you some info about what's going on. It is a war movie more than the other Star Wars movies, but I think you'll be able to keep track of it! I hope you like it when you get to see it!
Parakeet

Post by Parakeet »

Catspaw wrote:
Mariogeek wrote:IT WAS AWESOME!!! However the CGI Grand Moff Tarkin totally ruined it for me, I noticed it was CGI a few seconds after they showed his face. Then I got completely distracted by it.
I find this very interesting because after we got home my brother saw online that he was CGI, and we were both surprised to find that out. We had been avoiding spoilers so we didn't know in advance, and we both had commented on how great he looked, but assumed that it was due to awesome prosthetic/make-up/movie magic and had no idea it was CGI. I expect that I will probably see the movie in theatres again in the next couple of weeks, so this time I want to pay more attention to see what I think now that I know, but to me, he looked good!

HisPrincess, there's no crawl at the beginning of the movie....the words that usually crawl across the screen at the every beginning of a Star Wars movie giving you some info about what's going on. It is a war movie more than the other Star Wars movies, but I think you'll be able to keep track of it! I hope you like it when you get to see it!

i saw it on tuesday and it was great! i was disappointed about there being no crawl tho. i feel like Darth Vader wasn't in it as much as we all had hoped, however overall i feel it was a great movie. if you've ever seen the HISHE (how it should have ended) videos on YouTube for any movies before, i think you'll enjoy seeing the HISHE movie review for Rogue One after you've seen it. I personally enjoyed that very much, as did the rest of my family. :D
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Everyone dies.
Sorry, I had to. That's the cliche joke spoiler, I couldn't resist the opportunity to actually use it genuinely.

Anyway, I'm pretty late to share my thoughts; I had jotted down notes when I got back from the theater way back then but realized that I never got around to typing them up. Better late than never. This is the post I intended to make last January, no additional thoughts have been added and I haven't seen the movie again yet, this is my original immediate reaction:

This was exactly what I had expected and hoped it would be from the trailers. I thought it was so good!

I liked this deeper look into the operation of the Rebels, the different levels within the Rebellion, and the infighting in the Empire.

I really liked the introduction of people who believe in the Force but can't use it. This is a big part of Star Wars lore, but I don't think has ever been really explored in the movies before. Certainly not to this extent.

This was a clever way to address the so called Death Star plot hole. I thought it was neat to explain the existence of the vulnerability like this. It had never bothered me personally, but I have heard other people complain about it, so it was nice to justify it in a way that fit and made sense here and not just be a forced retcon just to appease those people.

I thought it had the perfect amount of Vader. I've heard some people say the voice was distracting because it was different, but I thought it was fine. It didn't sound incredibly different to me, and even if it was his voice changed substantially across the three original movies so it's not a big deal.

I can't believe we saw Vader's lava castle! That's a Star Wars lore deep cut. (It was originally going to be shown in Empire Strikes Back but the idea got scrapped.) Kudos to filmmakers for including it here, they knew their stuff.

One of the major complaints I've heard about is CGI Tarkin, people saying it's so ridiculously unrealistic looking it takes you completely out of the movie, but I completely disagree. I thought it looked amazing. It didn't take me out of anything, it was incredibly well done. It only looks fake when you look for it to look fake, if you know what I mean. If you just accept it I got absolutely no uncanny valley vibes whatsoever, I was amazed. The Leia, not as good. But she didn't have nearly as big of a part. I thought Tarkin was done extremely well and it really worked.

I appreciated how the funny droid was explained. It wasn't just the movie trying to copy C3PO's personality because people like that so let's just drag and drop a new quippy droid like that's just a common thing, no it was explained that reprogramming made him frank. I thought that was good.

So yeah, I enjoyed it very, very much. Exactly the tone and type of story I wanted from this. But interestingly, pretty much nothing in the trailer was actually in the movie? The words or scenes. "I rebel" was cut, good I always thought that was stupid, but some major scenes apparently weren't used, like one of them running through a battle on the beach, and in particular that shot of walking up to the tie fighter. That had looked awesome I'm sorry we didn't see that. I guess it went though some pretty drastic changes in parts. But I really like the end result so it worked out.

The thing that actually bothered me the most about it isn't something about the movie itself. I hate that they got rid of the opening crawl! I get that they want to make it clear these in between movies are their own thing, but they're still Star Wars. Everything Star Wars begins with a crawl, even the video games for goodness sake! And tradition argument aside, this movie in particular could have really benefited from one of those introductions because the setting needs established so it's clear to everyone where exactly in the story we're being dropped in and what's going on. I think it was genuinely a mistake, on multiple fronts, to decide not to have one.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I agree that they should have done the crawl. They still did an intro thing, so it seems like an even more obvious miss that it didn't fit the usual Star Wars format.