Guardians of the Galaxy

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by Knight Fisher »

If you're going to see one Marvel movie, see this one.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
church
Pilgrim

Post by church »

Yeah, definitely my favorite Marvel movie. Although I was actually surprised at some of the language that made it into the movie, so if you're taking a really young kid you might want to preview it first. All in all though, I would say this is by far the best movie Marvel has made.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'll need to see it again before I can rank it fairly, but I think after one viewing I'd put it in my top 3 Marvel films. Really good stuff.

Like church said, though... while I've seen plenty of PG-13 movies that've gotten away with worse, there was a little more NAUGHTY LANGUAGE in this than in the typical Marvel film... that caught me a bit off guard but that's only because the other films have only had like 2 or 3 evil words.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn't have much interest in it initially, I'd never even heard of this title before, but since I'm watching Marvel movies now I thought I should see it. I'm doing the Avengers saga in order, but since this is a completely separate thing I went ahead and saw it in the theater.

I found it entertaining, but I'm not sure if I found it enjoyable. That is I liked watching it, but I don't really know if I liked it, if that makes sense.
But then I see every other person in the world is absolutely raving over it, so I’m wondering what I missed.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I just enjoy seeing Chris Pratt act stupid, myself.

This has a minor tie-in or two to the other films but nothing that seeing it out of sequence would really hinge upon.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

bookworm wrote:I found it entertaining, but I'm not sure if I found it enjoyable. That is I liked watching it, but I don't really know if I liked it, if that makes sense.
But then I see every other person in the world is absolutely raving over it, so I’m wondering what I missed.
No, actually this is well put. I had the same reaction.

It's not a bad film by any means, it just... lacked something? I mean, it was full of all the same humor we loved in the Avengers, but the humor was so incredibly calculated and scripted that, while never not entertaining, felt somewhat stinted. Did the film really add anything of substance to the Marvel canon? Or was it all just one big exercise of comic relief for the sake of comic relief?
The Top Crusader wrote:I just enjoy seeing Chris Pratt act stupid, myself.
I liked him more in The LEGO Movie. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I would wager it was a huge setup for Avengers 3, where we will likely get Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet against the Avengers and Guardians. They've slowly been unveiling the Infinity Gems since phase one, but this is the first one that talked a little more about them and Thanos did more than smirk in a post credits scene.

All that being said, it's all done in a way that if you aren't familiar with what they are building to, it doesn't seem like it goes anywhere.

I did think it was weird they kind of acted like they were going to reveal Quill's father, but it didn't happen. Presumably in the sequel?

I also liked that Michael Rooker was basically playing the exact same character he did in The Walking Dead, except he was blue. Even had the Southern twang or whatever... >_>
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw this movie today, and I did enjoy it, but I related to Jelly and bookworm's posts. I didn't leave thinking, "Wow, I really want to see that again soon!" There wasn't any big thing that I thought was wrong with it, but it didn't totally suck me in either. My favourite character was Groot...and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. ;) Should my favourite character be the tree who knows 4 words? Does that mean they did an amazing job with Groot, or a less impressive job with other characters, or some kind of combination? Or maybe I'm just weird. I will not rule that out. ;)

Like Top, I also like watching Chris Pratt act stupid. The man has a gift. \:D/

I saw the movie with my brother, and he had checked online ahead of time to verify that there was a scene at the very end, but he had carefully avoided any spoilers, so we stayed all the way through the credits, and I was a tad underwhelmed at the end scene. It reminded me of Pirates of the Carribean 2, where all that waiting just gets you a few seconds with a dog. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:he had checked online ahead of time to verify that there was a scene at the very end, ... so we stayed all the way through the credits, and I was a tad underwhelmed at the end scene.
None of my group checked, we took it for granted there would be since it’s a Marvel movie. We sat all the way through going ‘Here we go, Avengers 2 preview!’ and then saw what there was and were like ‘Really?’
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well to be fair it was a nod to the first ever Marvel comic property put on the big screen, directed by George Lucas, no less! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Duck-Speci ... d+the+duck
An Avengers 2 teaser would have been better, though. >_> We got that at the end of Cap 2 but I was hoping there was some short trailer like they have at the end of Cap 1.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I thought that Top would be able to add some context to what seemed less than significant to me (thanks!), but I still think that they could have done better. ;) Oh well. Hopefully an Avengers 2 trailer will be coming soon.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well really it's something most viewers wouldn't even know, and I can't imagine many people who do know really care about Howard. >_>
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

The Top Crusader wrote:I just enjoy seeing Chris Pratt act stupid, myself.

This has a minor tie-in or two to the other films but nothing that seeing it out of sequence would really hinge upon.
To be honest Chris Pratt was 90% of the reason I watched this movie and I LOVED it. For a while I was kind of confused with what was going on, but overall the movie was just so funny and the soundtrack was great too.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Just saw this movie last night with a few people, and I definitely enjoyed it. I got a little overwhelmed with some of the action scenes, and trying to catch every plot detail was hard, HOWEVER it was still a good movie and I still connected with it and had emotional moments and laughter and all that jazz

Till the end of the line.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I enjoyed the movie because it just refused to take itself seriously. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I rewatched this in preparation for seeing the sequel, looking to get a better read on my feelings for it after a second viewing.

I decided I do like it. It's just so different than anything else that had been in the series so far that I wasn't really sure what to make of it the first time, but now I get what it is.