Wonder Woman

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Wonder Woman

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It looks decent, but after seeing Suicide Squad reviews and having lived through the horrors of Batman V Superman, I don't have really high expectations for the DCEU.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wasn't interested in this one just hearing about it, but after watching the trailer I actually not only want to see it now but I'm rather excited for it. I really like period pieces like the first Captain America and it looks like this will be similar.

I haven't seen Dawn of Justice yet and I don't plan to see anything else in the DCU at the moment, but this one I'll keep tabs on.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for sharing the trailer, bookworm! I had seen that one existed but hadn't cared enough to watch it until I saw your post. It does look pretty good! I have to admit that seeing Chris Pine's handsome face was a significant factor in that (I've had a little crush ever since Princess Diaries 2) :inlove: but it does look like a nice mix of action, romance and humour. I had no idea that it was going to be a historical movie, and that does appeal to me.

If it gets terrible reviews I could skip it, but otherwise bookworm should be getting commission on my ticket fee, because I plan to see it now! :D

I have not seen Batman v Superman and don't really plan to, but if this is historical and that one wasn't, then I don't think that I should be missing stuff. I hope not, because I hate feeling like there's lots of background stuff that I should know but don't.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, this isn't like Marvel's movies where everything is ultra connected because they're always moving forward in one story. This movie takes place way before anything going on in the others so it should certainly be able to stand alone.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, I didn't expect to have to go so far back in time to find this thread! Has anybody else seen Wonder Women yet? I just saw it today, and I enjoyed it. I have stuck with my previous post in this thread from August and have not seen the other DC movies, though that doesn't really matter for this movie. I liked Chris Pine :inlove: (of course) and it was a decent movie overall. A few parts seemed like a bit of a miss to me - some things were a little convoluted or it felt like a piece was missing, but the heart of the story was there, and that goes a long way. It was one of those movies that I liked and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, but I won't be rushing to rewatch any time soon.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

I actually saw this film--- interesting storyline. I have definitely seen better, but I have sure as Sam seen worse.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I refuse to watch this because Wonder Woman is played by a woman.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Stand strong, Top! You have nothing if you don't have your principles.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

The Top Crusader wrote:I refuse to watch this because Wonder Woman is played by a woman.
Disney is eternally grateful.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm hearing overwhelmingly positive things about this movie, does this finally right the DC trainwreck? I hope it's really good, for its own sake, but I don't want it to falsely reinflate expectations just for the next movie to return to the disappointment the rest have been. This is an origin movie, removed from the running storyline currently going through the rest of the movies, this one being good doesn't mean the franchise as a whole is back on track unfortunately.

I am still very looking forward to seeing this as soon as I can, but don't know when I'll have the opportunity. Might not be in theaters sadly.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, I'd like to see it but since our local theater started having random showings at lower prices, I feel like I can't go see a movie unless it's in that time slot... but it typically isn't when I'm able to go. So not sure if this is gonna be something to watch at home eventually or if I'll just have to pay an inflated ticket price to see it. :(

Reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but I do fear Justice League will just put things back in the toilet for DC where they have been. Even though it's under unfortunate circumstances, maybe Joss Whedon coming on board for Snyder will help it out a bit. Although I was getting tired of his shtick by the end of Age of Ultron, maybe the combined influence of the two of them will turn into something worthwhile.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Battle tactics aside I liked it. \:D/ The score was gorgeous. Really cohesive in comparison to a lot of other super hero films.

It was a good origin film. That said as someone who hasn't seen any of the other DCEU films it doesn't really make me want to see Justice League or any of the other movies coming out. With the exception of Aquaman. Because Jason Mamoa as Aquaman.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

First things first. I really liked this movie. It's one of the few superhero movies that's actually convinced me to care about its characters. And I think it gave both of its main characters some good development. But there's one complaint I have (more about the marketing of the film than its actual content) that continues to irk me.

This movie was marketed as a feminist movie, and as "empowering" to women. It's the first major superhero film to feature a woman in the leading role. Yet it constantly objectified and sexualized its main female character, both within the narrative (mainly with the fez guy), and outside of it (the costume design, for example). Did anyone else notice this contradiction? It seems like everyone I talk to about it agrees, but didn't notice it themselves.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

Three words: It was awesome. :mrgreen: \:D/
The soundtrack, action, actors (Chris Pine :inlove: and Gal Gadot were amazing), and the way they portrayed the war was fantastic.

HUGE SPOILER. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
But they killed off Steve/Chris :mad: :mecry:
Anyway, I liked it a LOT. My only thing is gas masks have always freaked me out, and since it was set during WWI they wore gas masks. There were a few questionable scenes and a bit of language but other than that I LOVED IT =D> :yay: :bouncy:
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I loved this. It was exactly what I expected and hoped it would be. The setting, style, and story were all great.

Her distress at seeing the horrors of war was very moving and meaningful because of her background. I thought there were a lot of messages on a lot of things that were conveyed well throughout the movie, it didn't have to be preachy to get the points across.

The scene of her leading the army to take the no man's land was one of the greatest movie scenes I've ever seen. So solid; it was emotionally rousing, plot advancing, and visually captivating. The image of her blocking the hail of bullets with her shield was the standout moment from the trailers, and it more than paid off the anticipation seeing it in context for what was actually happening there both in the immediate scene and the larger story. It all made me really want to watch Captain America again actually, there's just something awesome about a superhero leading soldiers against Nazis.

I found it interesting that both this and Captain America not only have similar settings and story ideas, but both
end with a Steve sacrificing himself on a plane.
This was exactly the shot in the arm the DC movies needed to show that it is possible to get something right in their universe. Unfortunately as I said before just because this one was good doesn't mean the franchise as a whole is suddenly back on track. This movie is removed from the others as its own thing, how well it did doesn't really mean anything for the overall series. They can hopefully learn from this success in the future, but it shouldn't be surprising if the next immediate movie or two tumble back downhill. Despite how great I thought this movie was, it doesn't give me any higher hope for Justice League. I think this can get the universe on track eventually, but it's not going to put it there immediately. It's an encouraging sign though that the entire project isn't a completely lost cause as it appeared it might be before this bright spot.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I liked it a lot, but I do kind of wish they'd kept her origin to WWII instead of changing it to WWI, but maybe that was specifically to avoid quite as many comparisons to Captain America? Still it was cool to see a super hero movie (or movie at all, really) set in WWI. Poor underappreciated war. :(

I wonder why the dozens of gunners didn't think to try to shoot her in the leg or something. Although while she has the shield and bracelets to deflect fire, I thought she was more or less on Superman levels of invulnerability? Maybe not.

Mildly amusing seeing one of the three actors that played Stryker in the X-men franchise get to play another comic book villain.

Also mildly amusing that Ares wasn't in disguise as a silly looking British man... he really looked like that apparently. >_> I expected him to morph into a tougher looking dude once he was revealed, not just put a helmet over his silly mustache. >_>

Also of note, is Wonder Woman a nephalim? :-k
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Doctor wrote:Did anyone else notice this contradiction?
I didn't get either of those impressions.
The Doctor wrote:This movie was marketed as a feminist movie, and as "empowering" to women.
I didn't think the marketing was overtly pushing a feminist angle, nor that the final movie was focused on that, and nor should either have been. It would have been a disservice. If you do Wonder Woman right it's going to have an empowering female character just by nature of what it is, you don't need to put extra focus on it or beat people over the head with the idea. You shouldn't be making this movie because you're trying to have a strong woman lead, you're making a good movie about a good superhero and it just happens to be she's a woman.
The Doctor wrote:Yet it constantly objectified and sexualized its main female character, both within the narrative (mainly with the fez guy), and outside of it (the costume design, for example).
You make it sound like everyone was constantly drooling over her. The fez guy said she's beautiful, which she is. That's objectifying? It's one of the mythic traits of the Amazons: strong, tall, beautiful. And I thought the costume was great. It's less sexualized than the one from the tv show.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

The Top Crusader wrote:I liked it a lot, but I do kind of wish they'd kept her origin to WWII instead of changing it to WWI, but maybe that was specifically to avoid quite as many comparisons to Captain America? Still it was cool to see a super hero movie (or movie at all, really) set in WWI. Poor underappreciated war. :(
This I can answer. It wasn't about Captain America, it was more about how the view of villain is seen in WWI. WWII, we all know that the Nazis were the villains. Period. Clear and cut and understood. But in WWI, everyone was fighting without a clear cause or villain to actually fight, so it helped fuel Diana's confusion, fueled her strength to find love and fight for good, and basically give it a better story line tbh. Diana couldn't just go and find one Nazi and end the war. She had to logically think it through (even though we all know Steve thought she was insane with the Ares talk. Oh Steve).

Plus I feel it gave Ares a much more intriguing story line in and of itself, because it wasn't just influencing one man or one person, it was working the evil within us. The darkness within us.

I have seen Wonder Woman 4 times thus far, and I fall in love the more I see it. I also cry every time, which says a lot, because ughhhhhhhhhhh FEELS. THE PAIN. THE EVERYTHING!!! I'm so proud of what it has become, and for all the actresses and actors involved. Gal Gadot was stunning, Chris Pine knocked it out of the park, Eugene Brave Rock and David Thewlis seriously made my day, and everyone else just really made it a well tuned film. Are there small issues? Of course. But this outshines all the other D.C.E.U movies thus far. Patty Jenkins did a fabulous job.

The No Man's Land scene? My favorite thing ever.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:I liked it a lot, but I do kind of wish they'd kept her origin to WWII instead of changing it to WWI, but maybe that was specifically to avoid quite as many comparisons to Captain America? Still it was cool to see a super hero movie (or movie at all, really) set in WWI. Poor underappreciated war. :(
This I can answer. It wasn't about Captain America, it was more about how the view of villain is seen in WWI. WWII, we all know that the Nazis were the villains. Period. Clear and cut and understood. But in WWI, everyone was fighting without a clear cause or villain to actually fight, so it helped fuel Diana's confusion, fueled her strength to find love and fight for good, and basically give it a better story line tbh. Diana couldn't just go and find one Nazi and end the war. She had to logically think it through (even though we all know Steve thought she was insane with the Ares talk. Oh Steve).
This makes a lot of sense to me! Thanks for sharing, Danielle. I hadn't really thought about it much, but it does really put a different focus on it.