Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Post by bookworm »

Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

IT LOOKS FANTASTIC! The Beast doesn't really have a scary voice though.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Oh my goodness, I've only heard negative about the movie so far though the trailer has me excited. All the warm colours, and flowy costumes, the music and the attention to detail. I'm really looking forward to seeing this. :D
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I remain tentatively accepting of these live action remakes after coming around from originally being annoyed and completely opposed to them, though the recent onslaught of announcements of remakes in the works threatens to turn me negative again.

But even back when I was against them, this one I was always on board with. Not because I wanted to see this story itself redone, but just as a production. I wanted to see how all the elements would come together in live action, the talking objects and all that.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I am so excited for this. Maybe too excited. I almost teared up watching that trailer the first time. Just seeing all the characters I love, glimpses of scenes I can recognize from the original. It all looks beautiful.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Kaida wrote:I am so excited for this. Maybe too excited. I almost teared up watching that trailer the first time. Just seeing all the characters I love, glimpses of scenes I can recognize from the original. It all looks beautiful.
Ahaha, same here. I wasn't going to say because I thought it'd come across as overly emotional. I do cry while watching movies, and occasionally even trailers. It does look beautiful. :D
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Autumnal
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Autumnal »

I'm generally looking forward to it, but I'm kind of confused on why they didn't get a French actress to play Belle since she's...you know, French. I'm kind of getting tired of these live-action remakes, though, especially since they're simply good at best.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I am looking forward to this movie, since I love Beauty and the Beast, and the trailer looks quite good, but I'm not sure if I like how the Beast looks. It just doesn't quite look right to me, though I can see the challenge of trying to do a live-action movie with a character like this. I really hope that the movie is good. I already have a couple of friends who want to go see it too. :D
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Autumnal wrote:I'm generally looking forward to it, but I'm kind of confused on why they didn't get a French actress to play Belle since she's...you know, French.
Agreed. Anyone else see the trailers for "The Great Wall" where Matt Damon is playing an ancient Chinese hero or "Ghost in the Shell" where Scarlett Johansson is playing a classic Manga character? Not quite the same thing, but I just wish studios and casting directors in general cared more about ethnic heritage when it comes to realizing their characters. (I feel like I've ranted about this before in relation to Jesus films somewhere in this forum.)
Catspaw wrote:I am looking forward to this movie, since I love Beauty and the Beast, and the trailer looks quite good, but I'm not sure if I like how the Beast looks. It just doesn't quite look right to me, though I can see the challenge of trying to do a live-action movie with a character like this.
Here's what a live-action Beast looked like in in the classic 1946 French film...
and here's what he looked like in 1962...
and in 2014...
Personally, I'm partial to practical makeup vs computer generated faces... although these days, it's honestly hard to tell the difference between the two.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

:lol: The first two definitely make the new one look pretty good. Thanks for putting things into perspective, Jelly! The third one looks okay. It is amazing what they can all do these days! *creaky old-lady voice*
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

I was in the musical last year, so I'm looking forward to it.
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

godisawesomeness99 wrote:I was in the musical last year, so I'm looking forward to it.
godisawesomness99! Heeeyyy.. =D

Which character did you play?
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

It look ai'ight. I agree, I'm not completely convinced by the Beast... He's not scary enough. I do think Bard from the Hobbit works pretty well for Gustan tho. *nods* Here's hoping some of the songs from the musical make it into the movie. *looks at Menken* :wacky:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I was going to post in this thread, but seeing how all you guys are actually looking forward to it and are excited about it, I'm not sure I should.

I'll just say I feel the opposite of most comments made in here. :p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Autumnal
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Autumnal »

I re-watched the trailer and all of the actors are British? Umm??
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Autumnal wrote:I re-watched the trailer and all of the actors are British? Umm??
Ah, that is one thing that bothered me. Beatrice Rosen I think would be fantastic for the role of Belle, or another French actress. Maybe Adèle Exarchopoulos...
It is though that Emma Watson is a good actress, though I suspect the story has been spun out of France if they're using British actors.
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

I watched the trailer and I am really excited! YAY! I really like the Cinderella! It was amazing!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I'll just say I feel the opposite of most comments made in here. :p
At least enlighten the reason you disapprove, because it could be many things.
Are you against this trend of remakes? Are you just against this remake in particular? Is it because of the casting? Etc?
Autumnal
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Autumnal »

Yeah, no, I'm sure Emma Watson will be completely fine, but we just did Cinderella and all of the actors in there were British and it would be nice to get some variety. This is like Assassin's Creed Unity where all the French characters have British accents. …Even though they have French names and sprinkle French into their dialogue.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Autumnal wrote:Yeah, no, I'm sure Emma Watson will be completely fine, but we just did Cinderella and all of the actors in there were British and it would be nice to get some variety. This is like Assassin's Creed Unity where all the French characters have British accents. …Even though they have French names and sprinkle French into their dialogue.
Mmhm, I do agree with you. I've never played that game, that does seem irritating.
It would be nice if Disney thought to represent the animated version better, however the trailer doesn't give much information, I could be surprised still. :-k

To be honest, I'm really looking forward to seeing the live action Mulan of now. :D