Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I loved the first two Pirates movies, enjoyed the third, and didn't mind the fourth one, but this trailer did not get me interested in the new one. I'll hold my judgment for now, but it just doesn't make me super interested in seeing the movie. I hope that it ends up being good, but I'm not counting on it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To be fair, you can't tell anything meaningful about what this is going to be from that clip. Just one scene and extremely short.

I do like the wispy ghost design.

I'm not really impressed by the title, it doesn't seem to fit in with the others to me. Too long.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I know there isn't much to see, but that just means that what there is to see should be great to get be excited about the movie. A teaser trailer should make me curious, not go, "Meh." But maybe other people felt that way and I didn't, or maybe it was more of a marketing issue than an actual problem with the movie that's coming.

I don't mind the title. It seems piratey, and though it is a little long, it's not ridiculously long.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I know what you meant, and I don't disagree, it's not a good teaser. But I'm not pessimistic about the movie because of it. It didn't make me excited for it, but it didn't make me worried it's going to be meh. You can't anticipate what a full movie will be like from one teaser clip. In other words, no the teaser did not do its job but that doesn't necessarily indicate the movie itself won't be good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I can agree with that. It just makes me worry that they don't have anything awesome to work with to show us, but that isn't necessarily true. I remember seeing a trailer for Wreck-It Ralph and thinking it looked lame, and then it turned out to be awesome. :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To followup on the title, I was thinking about what else it could have been called because I don't like just thinking a title isn't very good without coming up with an alternative, and I thought of one that I really think is pretty great if I say so myself.

I get why they wanted to use Dead Men Tell No Tales. It's iconic to the pirate genre, of course you want to get it in there if the opportunity presents itself. I'm assuming the plot of this movie is someone who Jack double crossed in the past that died is somehow back as a ghost to seek revenge. If this is the case that title does fit. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but I think it could have been better.

I think it should have been called Dead Men's Tales. That achieves the same goal of integrating the saying everyone recognizes, but in a more clever way than just using the phrase outright. It clearly references the original as a base, but is uniquely spun to fit this specific story. It's also a really intriguing statement. You immediately understand what it's coming from 'I recognize that reference' but quickly identify confusion in the connection 'But wait, dead men don't tell tales' which leads to what this story is presumably about, an unexpected exception to the famous proverb.

Also it's a snappy three word title that fits right in with the other movies. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men's Tales
I'm actually getting kind of disappointed they didn't come up with this the more I think about it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey, I like that! :D You're right that it brings the classic pirate saying to mind without having to come out and say it, and the shorter title is a better fit with the previous movies. The potential downside that I see is that it sounds like the story is told by a dead person, which might not be accurate with whatever happens in the movie, but it's not like every title perfectly represents every aspect of the plot or anything.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 17 Feb 2017 12:13 pm --

First real look at the movie:

Still don't know what the actual story is, but I'm liking the look and feel I get so far. I really like the visual design of this new ghost type, and I see they're bringing new 'mechanics' with it as well like running on water. I think it's neat how it's not just 'oh here's yet another crew of undead pirates', each one has had their own distinct style and abilities.

-- 02 Mar 2017 01:19 pm --

Now I'm excited!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for the new video, bookworm! That actually gives an idea about what's going on, and it does look interesting. It looks like the story covers a broader time period. Could be fun! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this one now.
I'm confused why they said "last adventure" though, I thought at least one more movie was officially confirmed after this one because Elizabeth was coming back.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I went to see Pirates 5 with a couple of friends last night, and we all enjoyed it. I know that it isn't getting amazing reviews, and it's not like it's as good as the first one or anything, but it was fun. There was a decent story, interesting characters, some nice little references to the past and returning characters, and I enjoyed it. There definitely were parts that could have been better, but I liked it overall, and the ending was nice.

For anyone wondering, yes, there is a scene at the very end like there was for the previous movies, and it's worth staying for, at least in my opinion! Think more like the ending of Pirates 3 than any of the other ones in terms of actual relevance to the story...though I won't say more than, "You should stay" for those who still plan to see the movie!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be from the trailers, but I definitely enjoyed it. I really like this series, just for its feel and lore, I didn't need a great film (though of course that would have been nice, to please the broader critics), I just wanted another entertaining adventure in this world and I got it. I was happy.
When they freed Will from the Dutchman and they were all happy he's back and hugging, instead of thinking it was touching my thought was 'It's nice for you, but now people who die at sea are stuck in limbo forever because there's no one to carry them over. Good move, selfish jerk.' :p But I reasoned that probably wasn't​ always needed, but came out of the original Davy Jones arrangement for reasons specific to that incident, so now that all curses are broken things are back to the state in the beginning and a ferry isn't required.

Speaking of the Dutchman situation, why was Will becoming "tentaclely"? My understanding was that only happened to Davy Jones as punishment for betraying his duty to ferry the souls and pressing them into service instead. Presumably Will is a good guy who honored the purpose of his position, so he should have remained human. And relatively happy. I mean yeah he can't go on land, but if he's doing his job right I don't see why Elizabeth and his kid couldn't go visit him now and then. Being captain of the Dutchman, in itself, isn't the miserable curse, it was specifically Davy Jones' situation.
When they got the Black Pearl back the only thing I was thinking was 'Where's the monkey? I remember he was on there, you better have remembered too.' And of course they did. That was fun to have him back, and when he got back on Barbossa's shoulder it was just cool, like back to old times.

I'm very interested to find out what that credits scene was about.
I was like 'what?!' at first because though Davy Jones is probably my favorite character in the franchise I can't see how he could be back. Then I was mad when it was like 'ha it was just a dream!' because while it made more sense it seemed a cheap unfair fakeout. But then they're like no it was real and I'm back to 'what?!' Very surprised, and excited to have it explained.
I hope the generally lukewarm reaction the movie seems to be getting doesn't dissuade them from making the next one, I want to see where they were thinking of going with the story now.
At first I thought they were setting up Will and Barbossa's kids to take over the franchise as the new young Will and Elizabeth, but then we got the originals back so are they going to be the focus again now? If everyone is going to have a part from here it seems like it could get crowded. That may be why they thought they should kill off Barbossa (a decision I do not approve of), to clear some room.
It seems despite what the trailer said this movie was not the end, and I am happy about that.