Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Post by bookworm »

Since a new sequel is coming soon I thought I'd make a thread for the original movie since it's the only one in the series we don't have one for. Probably because it came out before we existed. (That's a crazy thought.)
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

This is the first Disney movie I've enjoyed for a long time, I just watched it recently on VidAngel. Then we watched the second one and I didn't like it as much.
Yo
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really like the first Pirates movie! It has a lot of good things going for it - interesting and fun plotline, easy enough to follow but with a bit more depth than some action/adventure films, great characters, awesome music...and they make the most of it! Good times. I've seen this movie multiple times over the years and always enjoy it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I had an interesting first experience with this movie.

The university here holds these day long events over the summer where kids can learn about various topics and then do activities and things, and I once attended one that was an introduction to oceanography. It was pirate themed, to make it fun for kids to learn about the concepts, and so in the morning while they got everything ready to start they put this movie on for us to watch. We got to the part where Elizabeth hides in the cupboard and then they turned it off and we got started with the program.

I don't recall how long it was between that and when I then saw the movie in full. I don't think it was a super long time, but it wasn't right away. That little bit we saw stuck with me though as thinking it looked pretty unique and interesting, and when I eventually saw the rest I confirmed those impressions.

I like this movie a lot! All of these movies actually. I'll share thoughts on specifics of the other movies in their respective threads, but in general I really like the world that this series has created. It's not just about the pirates out doing whatever they want, there's the political powers like Britain and commercial power of the EITC seeking their own goals, and how they all maneuver around each other and affect one another is really interesting to me. And then there's the supernatural layer dropped on top of it all that affects all the parties. I think it's a really unique and fun lore.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bookworm, what an interesting idea for a kids program! Didn't people complain when they turned the movie off, though? I like the idea of using the educational value and avoiding some of the other stuff for kids, but if somebody showed me the start of a movie and then that was all I got to see, I would be annoyed.

I see I posted in this thread last year, but I still love this movie! :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:Didn't people complain when they turned the movie off, though?
Not that I remember, I'm pretty sure everyone but me had already seen it before.
Catspaw wrote:I like the idea of using the educational value and avoiding some of the other stuff for kids
The movie wasn't part of the program, if I didn't explain clearly enough. It was simply put on to pass time for those who arrived early until it was time for the actual event to start. So they didn't cut it short to avoid things for the young audience (I hadn't actually thought about that until you mentioned it that way :anxious: ) they were just filling time and stopped it when the time that needed filled was passed. :yes: They just chose that movie because the day had a pirate theme, it wasn't tied in to anything later on.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Didn't people complain when they turned the movie off, though?
Not that I remember, I'm pretty sure everyone but me had already seen it before.
That makes sense.
bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I like the idea of using the educational value and avoiding some of the other stuff for kids
The movie wasn't part of the program, if I didn't explain clearly enough. It was simply put on to pass time for those who arrived early until it was time for the actual event to start. So they didn't cut it short to avoid things for the young audience (I hadn't actually thought about that until you mentioned it that way :anxious: ) they were just filling time and stopped it when the time that needed filled was passed. :yes: They just chose that movie because the day had a pirate theme, it wasn't tied in to anything later on.
Oh, I totally misunderstood that part. Thanks for clarifying. Oopsies!