Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Really looking forward to this... loved the first one. I usually don't like spacey scifi stuff but this is more in the Star Wars vein than Star Trek, plus is overall hilarious (although you expect that with Chris Pratt).

Plus a wrestler is one of the main stars, so you can't really go wrong.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm still unsure what I really thought about the first one, but I haven't rewatched it since then. Once I do, probably right before I eventually check this one out, it may settle in with me and make me more excited to see this one for itself. But at the moment it's only on my list as part of following the MCU story.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw this movie the other day, and enjoyed it. I think I liked the first one better, but this was a fun movie as well. A few little things I could have lived without, but I will set that aside and just think happy thoughts about how adorable baby Groot is. :inlove:
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

There was a great amount to enjoy, if you have a preference for watching a scrappy bunch take on an arrogant villain. The comedy is I think similar to a majority of entertainment these days, goofy, relatable, refreshing, and generally, with the exception of the the first twenty minutes, clean. At least to a certain degree.
The Guardians of the Galaxy films are also intended to be more funny than the other Marvel films, and Chris Pratt sold it.

I love Gamora, and here she reminded of the character Ziva from NCIS. While still being a woman capable of defending herself, she doesn't isolate herself from others, or treat her substitute family unkindly. It's clear hanging out with Drax, Rocket, Groot, and Star Lord has devolved her personality a bit more. I understand her need to be tough because of how she was raised, and I'm glad she's not bitter over it.

Also, I'm glad the raunchier humour was stuffed in the beginning and not as prevalent throughout. That way my friends and I only had to make weird faces for a short period of time.

I'd have to see the first again to determine whether this one succeeded it or not. I don't think the music choices were as satisfactory, and yet it was entertaining.
Teenage Groot though. Oh my word. :lol:
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I really enjoyed it... although I'd say I probably liked the first one a little more, still a really good movie. I dunno, I'm partial to old man Kurt Russell.

I wouldn't have personally minded the raunchiness if I hadn't seen it with my mother-in-law. :(

I dug the dancing Jeff Goldblum during the credits, though. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I enjoyed this for the most part. Like the first one, this is really different from any of the other movies in tone and in the amount and style of humor. You have to be in the mood for a movie like this, but if you are I think it's pretty well done.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I enjoyed watching it in the theatre when it first came out, but the other day I decided to watch it on Netflix and didn't find it holding my attention. I didn't even finish it. I'll try again another day, but I think part of the fun the first time was trying to figure things out, and with that gone, I was surprised how little I was interested in it. That might just be me, though.