Avengers: Infinity War

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Avengers: Infinity War

Post by The Top Crusader »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! I happily watched the trailer and could mostly just think of how many characters I had already seen and was trying to figure out who could possible be missing...only for them to show another character for me to go, "Oh yeah, them too...." I am looking forward to seeing this movie, but I am worried that they are trying to pack too much into one film.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is going to be crazy. So many characters!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Can you believe this is 10 years in the making? 19 movies; what an accomplishment.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, ten years! Crazy. The trailer is pretty full, but it looks good to me. I'm intrigued by the "Cap pushing back on the hand" scene.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Pretty sure Cap is dying in this one. Sad, because he's still my favorite, but the character has run his course.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh dear, I had not heard that. :sniff: I hope you're wrong, bookworm! I'm still not over that whole Star Wars episode 7 debacle. :mecry:
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Catspaw wrote:Oh dear, I had not heard that. :sniff: I hope you're wrong, bookworm! I'm still not over that whole Star Wars episode 7 debacle. :mecry:
DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT HORROR.

I will be very upset if Cap dies. But I cannot deny that the Marvel Universe does need some consequences and permanence. :mecry:
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:Oh dear, I had not heard that. :sniff:
To elaborate, there's no Infinity War specific rumor or leak or anything like that giving tangible credibility that it should be expected to happen, this is a personal assessment that I just wouldn't be surprised if it does.

It's long been said, as Woody noted, that they need to start having some consequences to the constant danger. If they're ever going to start this is the place to do it, the culmination of everything that's been building up all these years and showdown with the biggest strongest villain in the universe. It's the feeling of many speculators that there will almost certainly be some deaths, plural, before the end of this storyline.

Being prepared for the possibility that happens, Cap is one of the most logical choices from both an in canon and franchise perspective. His character has really completed his arc through these movies, there isn't much more to be done with him and while I personally wouldn't mind just having him around doing more of the same there are other new stories they likely want to focus on with their many other characters. Also as far as I know Chris Evans is still one of the actors who is no longer under contract past this movie.

Putting it all together, along with an assurance or warning, depending on how you look at it, from the film makers that this is going to be a legitimate conclusion to everything that's happened in all these movies so far and it's really going to be a new story going forward, it doesn't look good for multiple characters (these same musings are also being made about Tony, for one) to make it through this, but Cap especially.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Doctor wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Oh dear, I had not heard that. :sniff: I hope you're wrong, bookworm! I'm still not over that whole Star Wars episode 7 debacle. :mecry:
DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT HORROR.

I will be very upset if Cap dies. But I cannot deny that the Marvel Universe does need some consequences and permanence. :mecry:
I'M SORRY.

That explanation makes sense, bookworm, and I agree that there needs to be some weightier moments that last, but it just doesn't seem right that Cap would/could die. From a storytelling point of view, what kind of death would make people think he was truly dead, since he survived decades frozen in ice and then came back? There might be something, but offhand I can't think of a way they could do it that would make me totally convinced that he was totally dead and would never return....though I guess another "time in ice" kind of thing is possible. :-k
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

bookworm wrote:It's long been said, as Top noted, that they need to start having some consequences to the constant danger. If they're ever going to start this is the place to do it, the culmination of everything that's been building up all these years and showdown with the biggest strongest villain in the universe. It's the feeling of many speculators that there will almost certainly be some deaths, plural, before the end of this storyline.
bookworm mistook me for Top... You can never comprehend the joy that this post has given me.

\:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Doctor wrote:bookworm mistook me for Top... You can never comprehend the joy that this post has given me.

\:D/
Ha! :lol:

I have to explain. (Not to take away your happiness, just because without context people seeing that in the future will have no idea how it could have reasonably happened.)

I'm on mobile so I see no avatars, or any other identifying elements on any post, it's just a tiny username and the text. Your name matched Top's enough (for future reference, in case it's changed later, it's currently "The Doctor") that when at brief glance I saw a three letter word starting with a capital T followed at some point by an o my brain decided that was enough processing to do when pairing it with a post that did indeed appear very Top-like (starting with an all caps overdramatic remark then giving an invested opinion about the MCU).

Classic case of those incidents you hear about where the brain takes shortcuts to conclusions by attempting to fill in gaps itself instead of actually processing what it's presented with! :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

If Cap dies he better pick up Thor's hammer first. :noway:
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

The Top Crusader wrote:If Cap dies he better pick up Thor's hammer first. :noway:
YES
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw Infinity War today! I did not cry (or even come close), but I did jump at one point,
when Vision got stabbed in the street in Scotland
and there were a lot of gasps coming from somebody to the left of where my brother and I were sitting. It mostly lived up to the hype. There is a lot going on, and I like the Marvel balance between serious stuff and humour. There was plenty of both. I liked it, and it definitely fits in really well with the Marvel universe, but I'm not totally sure how I feel about everything that happens yet.
I'm willing to believe that Loki and Gamora might be dead, but there's no way that they won't get the "butterflied" people (my term for whatever was happening to people as the disappeared towards the end) back. It was too many people and too prominent of people for me to think that they're all gone forever, which takes away some impact of, "Oh no, they're gone forever! Or are they?! I can't wait until the next movie to see what happens next!"

And after our worrying, Cap appears to be safe, at least for now. Yay!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I loved it. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I'm supposed to go see this with my friends in a couple weeks. Black Panther is literally the only Marvel movie that I've managed to sit through from start to finish. :anxious: Is there anything in particular I should watch/read/know to understand Infinity War?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh dear. You're missing a lot of stuff. I'm curious to know what you think of the movie after you watch without some of the other background. A lot of things build on each other, so I want to tell you to watch Captain America: Civil War and Thor 3: Ragnorak but then it seems like I should give recommendations for stuff to watch prior to that to make those movies make more sense/be more relevant.

I would say that if you are really interested, try to watch a few other Marvel movies, but your post makes me think that Marvel movies aren't really your thing, so you might want to just go, watch, and try to enjoy the ride, knowing that there are missing pieces.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I did watch most of the first two Captain America movies and parts of the first two Thor movies, and had a general awareness of the main plot points until the second Avengers movie, but at that point I kind of lost the will to keep track of all the different plotlines. I've never watched any of the Guardians movies, so that's probably where I'm the most in the dark.

But based on the trailer, it looks exciting, so I'm up for watching a cool movie even if I don't know exactly what's going on! \:D/