Rampage

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Rampage

Post by bookworm »

I can't tell if this is ridiculous or awesome.

Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

saw this when i was going to watch Justice League and I agree with you

Looks like Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park put together...
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm leaning towards ridiculous. ;) This really doesn't appeal to me at all, though I'm sure I'm not their target demographic either. It looks more like a mess relying on people being impressed by big animals....but maybe that's just me.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It looks dumb, but I'll watch it because Rampage was one of two reasons I always begged for quarters when I was five years old (that and Super Mario Bros.).
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Once again, Top makes a post that brings enlightenment. I did not realize that this was based on anything. A game, I'm guessing, based on Top's post. Obviously for some people that will be a draw, though it will still not bring them my movie money. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It's an odd game to make a movie about because I don't think it was ever that big and hasn't been an active IP in a very long time... but thus is the world we live in! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Okay, I feel better about my ignorance now. ;) It does seem like every old game and movie is game for some kind of reboot. :roll:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, odd is the term I put on it also when I heard they were making a movie based on those games. It's a more obscure property, and didn't really have a story that I was aware of. I was like 'where did that idea come from?' But now that I see what it is, it looks like they just wanted an excuse to make a dumb monster movie. And I'm okay with that! This is looking more fun to me the more I think about it. Will it be 'good' probably not, but will it be entertaining? I sure think so, it's the Rock vs discount King Kong! But even better because there's three times the monsters! This looks like a less serious version of these kaiju blockbusters that have been coming out lately and I'm open to giving that a try.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

bookworm wrote:Yeah, odd is the term I put on it also when I heard they were making a movie based on those games. It's a more obscure property, and didn't really have a story that I was aware of. I was like 'where did that idea come from?' But now that I see what it is, it looks like they just wanted an excuse to make a dumb monster movie. And I'm okay with that! This is looking more fun to me the more I think about it. Will it be 'good' probably not, but will it be entertaining? I sure think so, it's the Rock vs discount King Kong! But even better because there's three times the monsters! This looks like a less serious version of these kaiju blockbusters that have been coming out lately and I'm open to giving that a try.
Very accurate prediction there, bookworm. \:D/

People turning into the monsters like in the game would've been nice, but would've reworked the relationship between the Rock and George.

But otherwise, yes. Stupid movie. Very stupid. But also extremely entertaining in its stupidness. Plus Plop from The Office got to be in a movie! And they randomly had an arcade Rampage cabinet in the evil office building! \:D/

I just really enjoyed it. I was really hoping when the Rock was wounded they would use the same stuff on him that made the animals grow and have a giant Rock fighting in the city, but alas. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sometimes stupid movies are also the fun, entertaining movies. I still don't think this is one I will be rushing out to see, but if it ends up on Netflix eventually I might waste a couple of hours on it, solely based on Top's promise of an exciting Office cameo of everyone's favourite character...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:Very accurate prediction there, bookworm. \:D/
Yeah, this movie is exactly what you think it will be from the trailer. If it seems like fun to you I'd say give it a look, if it doesn't appeal at all you can probably pass.

For me, it looked entertaining enough to give it a shot so I went, and got just what I thought I would. It is dumb. So dumb. Yet I wouldn't say bad. Often the two go together, but not always. It's certainly not good, but it's not trying to be. It's just an excuse to have the Rock fight giant monsters causing massive destruction. Because that's all I expected and wanted, I had a good time. If you're looking for anything substantial, probably not the movie you want.

I have to say it was much more gory and crude than I expected. Knowing it was just a mindless popcorn movie I expected it would be aimed at general audiences, but apparently not. This is definitely a turn off your brain and just enjoy the ride movie, but it's not a ride for the whole family.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, they did seem to push the envelope more than I expected from the rating and for what I thought the target audience was. Particularly in some of the violence (poor Ralph, and poor Ralph's victims previously to that).