A Wrinkle In Time

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

A Wrinkle In Time

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I would like to see this movie, but I might not bother while it's in theatres. I must admit that I have never read the book, but I've meant to for a long time, so I'd like to read the book and then watch the movie.

Has anyone seen it? Any thoughts? My trailer reaction is that I prefer Chris Pine without all that facial hair, but maybe other people have deeper thoughts... ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I know absolutely nothing about this property, never read the book, but I get the sense it has a pretty enthusiastic fanbase so I wondered if anyone here was excited for this.
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

I've heard the reviews are bad simply because it strays from the book's plot. Like a lot. But it looks pretty good to me, and although I've read the book it's been a long time. I've seen the other Wrinkle in Time movie, but it's been a while since that too. I remember they added/took some things out just like all movies do, but I guess there's a LOT of changes to this movie. It looks good to me, and it'll be weird to see Chris Pine as a dad....
I want to see it eventually, but not sure when, because we just watched Black Panther.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I heard reviews are negative just because they think it's a big mess. Which doesn't surprise me because that was my own analysis just from my limited exposure, again knowing nothing about it outside what I see in the trailers, my primary reaction was "what is this?" It looked so out there and just weird and complex that I could definitely see it not coming together, and unfortunately for those who had their hopes up it appears that was the case.
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

I've loved the book since I was in second grade. The first movie was not so great, so I was trying to be optimistic when I saw the trailer for this one, especially since my friend is in it. I saw it in theaters few days ago. I didn't hate the movie, or dislike it even, but the first hour was really slow pacing-wise, which made it hard to get into. I wish they had focused more on the science fiction part of the book, and less on the fantasy part - I don't think they ever even fully explained what a tesseract *is* - it seemed more like a ~magical portal~. Another thing I wasn't too fond of was the HUGE AMOUNT of close-up shots... It was really disorienting. The pop soundtrack was distracting, and the scored soundtrack was wayy to loud at times. The "popular" girl is overly goofy and evil. There were some weird CGI moments as well.

As a kid, I really enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time. It was written by a Christian author, with a lot of Christian themes and Biblical references (the more explicit references were missing from the movie, but I understand why they made that decision.) It was nice to see science and Christianity coexist in a novel. However, the *science* aspect of science fiction seemed to be missing from this movie, in place of... Vague math terms? Another problem is that the images in the book are so abstract that they lose all of their wonder when represented so literally on film. I'm sure it would be possible to replicate the feeling from the book, but it would probably have a lot less pixie dust than this movie had.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.